The message is getting through - foster

This forum is for the discussion of general coaching topics. Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

FootballNews is not responsible for any of the comments posted in this forum and this forum is moderated.

Moderator: Forum Admins

hudsona
Apprentice
Apprentice

The message is getting through - foster

Post by hudsona »

A question to begin with: Shall we assume that with the ongoing success of Brisbane Roar playing the 1-4-3-3 system – with particular emphasis on the word ‘system’ with the automatic movement patterns inherent in the formation proving a handful for other A-League teams – that the issue regarding Australia’s youth teams adopting the 1-4-3-3 as part of the National Curriculum is at an end?
With most things in life, we all need concrete evidence before our eyes to both understand and thereafter believe in the efficacy of something and, aside from the system’s ubiquity across the world at all levels of the game and the inherent principles that are logical and effective, the record run of Roar is the perfect tonic at the ideal time for the implementation of the National Curriculum across the grass roots.

The question then becomes whether the message is actually filtering down to the youth game, where the National Curriculum is to take effect?

I believe it is. Let me share a couple of anecdotes.

Last week I received an email from a mother who had, apparently, previously written several years ago. Her son, aged 11 at the time and of diminutive build, had excellent technique but was being overlooked for representative teams. The disappointed mother was seeking guidance.

Be patient, continue to work with good educators on his technique and particularly his insight, on becoming a ‘footballer’ rather than merely a skilled individual, and the game will come to him, was my advice.

Change is happening quickly and Australia is moving towards a technical style where physicality and size no longer have the value they once did. In short, I told her, we are moving from ‘fightball’ to ‘football’.

The purpose of her latest email was to say that her son had been selected for a representative team that played recently in the National Championships, that his ability was now so prized that his size had ceased to be an issue, and to let me know that she can indeed see change under way.

I was delighted to receive the correspondence, because it indicated that progress is occurring lower down the game, where it is sorely needed.

Looking for further confirmation, I canvassed a number of educators from the recent Under 13 and 14 Nationals, as well as National Assistant Technical Director, Alistair Edwards, who oversaw the technical group at the tournaments and found almost universal praise for the style and level of play.

"There has been a complete transformation in playing style in just the last two years," was how Alistair described the situation.

"As every State is now at least trying to play football and are focused on playing the 1-4-3-3 as the educators are under pressure to do so, knowing that nothing less will suffice."

Additionally, I am told that the All Star team of the Tournament in both age groups had a far higher number of small, technical players who are now quickly becoming highly valued.

Through learning football in a system, which has an easily definable style of play, positional roles and the application of space and movements, the best youngsters were able to come together as a team and very quickly play together to a high level, because they each knew their specific role and that of those around them.

“If you saw the All Star teams play, you would have had a lump in the throat’, Edwards said.

"These boys all had sound technique, there were a couple of really exciting prospects among them, and they played beautifully as though they’d been together for years."

In return, I relayed an anecdote about a recent visit to a youth tournament run by former Socceroos striker Scott Ollerenshaw in Malaysia, at which I was thrilled to see a youth team of Marconi playing the 1-4-3-3, which was light years from some of the disgraceful ‘kick and rush’ I’ve seen from the youth game in recent years.

There was work to do on some of the mechanisms of playing out and in attack and it would have been good to see a higher focus on possession of the ball, but the basis and basics were present and this at club level rather than representative, a further step down the game. Extremely encouraging.

From my recent experience around the country, we are now well beyond the initial cultural change process and every educator and coach is hungry for information to improve.

The real challenge, however, is that while many have recognised and accepted the need for change and are now seeking to play the 1-4-3-3, the actual deeper detail about the movements and timings within are yet to disseminate satisfactorily and remains an issue of coach education and information availability.

Nevertheless, the evidence is that the message is getting through, real progress is being made, and Australia is increasingly, whether at HAL or youth level, learning to truly coach and play football.

Amen to that.

Nova
Star Player
Star Player

Re: The message is getting through - foster

Post by Nova »

Coaching has improved a lot, still more to be done but definantly heading in the right direction :D

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nova wrote:Coaching has improved a lot, still more to be done but definantly heading in the right direction :D
I've only been here 7 years but I'd definitely agree. However, I do think there's an over reliance on playing 433. Nothing wrong with the system and it's fine to teach kids how to play it, but a good player can play almost any system if they're given the tools. I was interested to see the author talk about developing 'insight' as the mental side of the game is rarely taught in my experience, yet we all know that anticipation is worth the first five yards. I was always taught that the foot can't play the pass if the mind can't conceive it and the eye can't see it. You have to think your way through a game and it gives you the ability to adapt and change during the 90 minutes.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Nova
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nova »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Nova wrote:Coaching has improved a lot, still more to be done but definantly heading in the right direction :D
I've only been here 7 years but I'd definitely agree. However, I do think there's an over reliance on playing 433. Nothing wrong with the system and it's fine to teach kids how to play it, but a good player can play almost any system if they're given the tools. I was interested to see the author talk about developing 'insight' as the mental side of the game is rarely taught in my experience, yet we all know that anticipation is worth the first five yards. I was always taught that the foot can't play the pass if the mind can't conceive it and the eye can't see it. You have to think your way through a game and it gives you the ability to adapt and change during the 90 minutes.
I always believed you base your system and more importantly the game plan around what type of strikers you have and the caliber of player in the team :wink:
And you're absolutely spot on about anticipation and forward thinking, I always try to teach players to think about what to do second - first and keep reading the game. So the more systems and different game plans they play, the more they will learn!
Even defensively and being a fan of a back 4, I still think you should still know how to play a sweeper!
The defence is still a weak point in coaching circles and probably the one thing that needs work!