GK Shortage???

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Purger
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

GK Shortage???

Post by Purger »

Ive noticed quite a few clubs advertising for GKs to join various aged teams. Is there a GK shortage or a teams looking for better quality GKs?

Why not play a field player in goals? Especially at the younger age group?

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: GK Shortage???

Post by Željko Jurin »

Field players dont usually want to be goalies, they all want to be strikers at a young age ........ sounds familiar doesn't it, even when we retire..... :wink:
Spot Željko Jurin Jnr ......

Purger
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Purger »

ummm, bugger, i have to agree!! :lol:

still, 12s to 16s theres still lots of places available for gks

SID
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SID »

Well ya best pull ya finger out and develop quality keepers .... Lots of em..... 

Purger
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Purger »

cant if they are playing no 9!

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

Purger wrote:cant if they are playing no 9!
You can teach them how to play #9 then ...
Spot Željko Jurin Jnr ......

Purger
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Purger »

Željko Jurin wrote:
Purger wrote:cant if they are playing no 9!
You can teach them how to play #9 then ...
I can show them how to make decoy runs and create space for others while never actually touching the ball.

ZJ stop hijacking this topic, its a serious question. Is there a gk shortage?

SID
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SID »

Yes, except at metro theirs are all 6 foot..... Lol

grumbly
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by grumbly »

No there isn't a shortage.
Some clubs are just treating them bad and then paying for it later.

footballdad
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by footballdad »

I think we have some excellent keepers in the years you have described, the question is "Why dont we have more?" Since Goalkeepers are different from pitch players, are we attracting enough of the kids with the appropriate attitude, skill set, physical parameters, and are they getting the coaching they need?

As for coaching:

To speak frankly, there are only one or two clubs I have heard of (but not actually seen) that offer decent goalkeeper coaching. ie most clubs are hopeless at best. Additionally, too few coach in line with the national curriculum and so are out of step with what is needed at a State and national level. As such, goalkeepers are often taught the wrong habits by their coaches, and this actually impedes their progress.

This is not the case at State, SASI and some academy coaching where we have some of the best coaches in Australia producing top class athletes, but we need more people like this at a club level, and in the earlier age groups.

As for the kids:

Purger, what are the key:

a. skills
b. attitude
c. physical attributes

you look for in a young goalkeeper, and do you see enough kids with those qualities?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

footballdad wrote:I think we have some excellent keepers in the years you have described, the question is "Why dont we have more?" Since Goalkeepers are different from pitch players, are we attracting enough of the kids with the appropriate attitude, skill set, physical parameters, and are they getting the coaching they need?

As for coaching:

To speak frankly, there are only one or two clubs I have heard of (but not actually seen) that offer decent goalkeeper coaching. ie most clubs are hopeless at best. Additionally, too few coach in line with the national curriculum and so are out of step with what is needed at a State and national level. As such, goalkeepers are often taught the wrong habits by their coaches, and this actually impedes their progress.

This is not the case at State, SASI and some academy coaching where we have some of the best coaches in Australia producing top class athletes, but we need more people like this at a club level, and in the earlier age groups.

As for the kids:

a. skills
b. attitude
c. physical attributes

you look for in a young goalkeeper, and do you see enough kids with those qualities?
I must say there would have to be some current and truckload of ex-keepers (retired or otherwise) that should be available to "give something back to the game" and give some decent intense keeper training. Where are they all?
Ignore this signature

lino
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by lino »

what clubs in u16 are looking for goalies

dihard
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by dihard »

Lino. Cobras U/16s are. They are in Junior Premier League Bs for next year.
Last edited by dihard on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soap Box
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Soap Box »

dihard wrote:Lino Cobras U/16s are. They are in Junior Premier League Bs for next year.

whats a Lino Cobra

Purger
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Purger »

footballdad wrote:I think we have some excellent keepers in the years you have described, the question is "Why dont we have more?" Since Goalkeepers are different from pitch players, are we attracting enough of the kids with the appropriate attitude, skill set, physical parameters, and are they getting the coaching they need?

As for coaching:

As for the kids:

a. skills - footskills
b. attitude - charecter, confidence, mental toughness, decision making
c. physical attributes - co-ordination, athletisism

This is a rough guide for young gks, lets say 11-14 y.o. But there is no hard and fast rules and everyones opinons will differ in some sort of manner.

smelly
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by smelly »

Lino if you're serious about playing in goals it sounds like you are still looking for a club you can contact me on 0414709220 or if there are any other keepers that want to play in the JPL b division u16s you also can contact me.

prefly
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by prefly »

I must say there would have to be some current and truckload of ex-keepers (retired or otherwise) that should be available to "give something back to the game" and give some decent intense keeper training. Where are they all?

I agree bomber, but there are a few around passing on their knowledge, I know Goalkeeping SA have a few ex and current keepers as coaches including Para Hills No 1 Ben Moore who i will have to say is probably one of the best going around.

In relation to the shortage of keepers maybe you should look at the way some are treated by the clubs i know of one lad who after trials has been picked in the keepers spot only to be unceremoniously dumped by club officials who have nothing to do with the team but apparently promised the keepers spot to someone who hasn't been to the trials (orders from above) This didn't happen the once but twice to the lad. These are same guys who bemoan lack of loyalty from players and parents. Or the club who has been advertising for keepers in teams who have got keepers but haven't the decency to let them know.

smelly
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by smelly »

Prefly if this lad you know who missed out on gk spot if he is eligible for u 16s post details and ill make contact with him we are located in western suburbs.

prefly
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by prefly »

smelly, I will get his details and pass them on if he wishes

smelly
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by smelly »

Thanks much appreciated.problem is too many boys want to play in a division and not interested in playing down which is a shame because we have strong team minus gk .thanks again

misterb
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by misterb »

Seaford U17's also looking for a keeper to play JPL next season.