Tottenham Hotspur 08/09 season

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Tottenham Hotspur 08/09 season

Post by totsreds08 »

Tottenham have a fair few young guns in the team. If the older players stay, they will have the right amount of youth and experience. If they can get the team chemistry right, I would watch out for the spurs

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

First team coach Marcos Alvarez gives us an insight into pre-season training as we countdown to the big kick-off.

We'll have regular updates with Marcos explaining exactly what is going on as the lads build-up their fitness for our Premier League opener at Middlesbrough on August 16.

Day 2, July 4

"On Friday we started testing," said Marcos. "We split into two groups with one group going through speed tests - a block of 30 metres - jump tests and then power tests.

"We use weightlifting weights for the power test, which is the same as the jump test, but with the weights. We increase the weight step by step. You then look at the results curve from the different weights and from that, plan future training for every player.

"The other group had endurance tests using the treadmill in the gymnasium. This is a maximum test and we were pleased with everyone. We were particularly happy with Gareth Bale, who did very well. The players in this group have six tests in total, mostly medical.

"On Saturday, the groups will switch stations and then we will up our work on Sunday."

Tromsø wrote:they've just put the 5th one in and the crowd is now giving it the 'are you arsenal in disguise?'

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

Dawkins loan to O's

Simon Dawkins has joined League One side Leyton Orient on loan until January.

The striker, a Reserve Team regular, made fourteen appearances for Clive Allen's side last season in a welcome return to action after injury curtailed his involvement in the previous campaign to five outings.

A product of our Academy, the 20-year-old was named as a substitute for the UEFA Cup away leg against Anorthosis Famagusta in October.

Tromsø wrote:they've just put the 5th one in and the crowd is now giving it the 'are you arsenal in disguise?'

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

Euro stars!

Danny Rose and David Button have been called up to the England Under-19 squad for this month's European Championships in the Czech Republic.

The Young Lions have been drawn in Group B and open their campaign with a game against the hosts in Jablonec on Monday July 14.

Further group matches with Italy (July 17) and Greece (July 20) follow, and should England advance from this stage, they could meet Germany, Spain, Bulgaria or Hungary in the semi-finals.

Both players featured prominently for our Reserve side in the 2007/08 season, with goalkeeper David playing two of England's three Elite Qualifying Round matches in Belarus earlier this summer.

Midfielder Danny is yet to represent his country at Under-19 level, but impressed for the Under-18s on a number of occasions last term.

We will be keeping tabs on our Euro stars here at tottenhamhotspur.com once the tournament kicks off!

SPURS18
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by SPURS18 »

Thanks boys good read keep up the good work hopefully we sign a few of those players mentioned and keep Keane and Berba, hopefully a big year ahead

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

Doubts Over Capel Release Clause

José María del Nido has revealed that he has rejected an offer from Tottenham Hotspur for Diego Capel because he believes that the player's buy-out clause does not apply.

The Premier League side made a bid that was higher than the reported clause value of €15m, but the Sevilla president thinks that it only applies when Spanish clubs make bids.

Despite sounding unsure about whether or not that was true. Del Nido announced that his club had turned the offer, although he hinted that he does not expect that to be the end of it.

"Determined clubs know that the buy-out clause of the player is there," he explained.

"Tottenham have made an offer superior to that and we have said no, because it was not close to the amount that Sevilla believe that the player is worth abroad, where, we believe, the buy-out clause does not apply.

"It is a question to discuss, is legally debatable and that is why we responded negatively."

Sevilla have already seen Seydou Keita Join Barcelona this summer after the Catalan side met his buy-out clause, but Del Nido is ready to protect his other stars from foreign sides.

Accept the bid you sherry

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

The Scottish Rock

Alan Hutton gives an exclusive and candid interview to the readers of hotspur in the latest issue of the Club's official monthly magazine - in stores now.

The Scottish international right-back, who signed from Glasgow Rangers in January, talks about the horror injury he sustained back in February 2005, making the big decision to join Spurs, and settling down in London ever since.

Of course, Alan has established himself in Juande Ramos' side during his short time with us, but in this interview he reveals it could have all come to an abrupt end three years ago.

Alan badly broke his leg in a league game against Kilmarnock while playing for Rangers, and he recalls the painful memories.

"I could see the tackle was coming. The ball had come between us and the guy had knocked it to the side, and I was thinking, can I get it? Yes! No! I won't...In that fraction of a second I paused, and then went for it again, and by that time it was too late, and he's knocked it too far. But as I was swinging for the ball, he's jumped up, and obviously he's leading with his knee and it hit the middle of my shin, and then...

"I went down and I can't explain the pain. At first it was just numb, and I went to get up and it was like half of my leg was still on the floor. I instantly knew. I've seen the pictures after, and there's my knee buckled right round his leg. It was horrible. I felt sick and went white. I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

"In the ambulance I kept on asking, ‘When would I be back? How long would I be out? What was going to happen?' From half past three until the next morning were the worst hours of my life, knowing what I'd done, and going through my mind the question, Am I going to get back? Is this the end of it?"

As he goes on to reveal, it took some time for Alan to get back to his best and he often found himself faced with suggestions from press and fans alike that he was not the same player as before.

But it was his mental strength that he says got him through this tough period, and as we all now know, the rest is history. Alan has undoubtedly gone on to establish himself as one of the best defenders in Britain, if not Europe, with his performances for club and country.

It is this form that eventually earned him his move to the Barclays Premier League, although coming to Spurs was not an easy decision to make for the 23-year-old.

He adds: "It was a massive decision for me, not just leaving a team I loved and grew up watching, but my family and everything in my life was there and would have to go. To be quite honest, I didn't realise how big a club Spurs were. I came down and met the manager. Before I saw him, I was very undecided, but 15 or 20 minutes with the manager made my mind up."

On settling in, Alan goes on to say: "The Spurs boys have been brilliant. They have taken to me as quickly as I have to them. Robbie Keane has been a great support. I've got a house just round the corner from him and he's shown me the ropes of the area.

"The lifestyle down here is totally different. The city's that big I still get lost. My missus loves all the shops! When my family's down we do things maybe people take for granted, like the London Eye, the Houses of Parliament. That's everyday stuff for people down here, but for me it's not, it's all new. Taking my wee boy to the London Aquarium was unbelievable."

He's done well to recover from the injury and its great to see he goes in as hard as ever

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

:) Yes i got this thread to be a sticky, thank you moderators

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

King Ledley wrote::) Yes i got this thread to be a sticky, thank you moderators
assnal fans won't like this :lol:

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

Post by Missing Post Count »

King Ledley wrote: :) Yes i got this thread to be a sticky, thank you moderators
Not sure why, but you've put a lot of effort into it... and there's a couple of interesting reports.

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

make my LAZIO thread a sticky too

can guarantee we'll have a more successful year than Spurs and more interesting shite will be posted there

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

Il Duce wrote:make my LAZIO thread a sticky too

can guarantee we'll have a more successful year than Spurs and more interesting shite will be posted there

lol your Lazio thread isn't even out of the first page

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

King Ledley wrote:

quality >>> quantity

if i was top post every single article on lazio, we would be at 10 pages and only the italian speakers would understand wtf is going on.

asssssssnal thread is at 3 pages, but its just me and the spurs fans bagging the cabernet out of their shithouse club

ramosrules
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by ramosrules »

Source: Daily Mail

Tottenham manager Juande Ramos is preparing a £15million bid for David Bentley this week, with the London factor likely to give him a vital advantage over rival bidders Aston Villa.

Bentley has told his new manager at Blackburn, Paul Ince, that he wants to quit the club after three seasons at Ewood Park, although Rovers are determined to get the highest price possible for the England midfielder.

Ramos wants to increase his options on the flank and Bentley believes he could even do a job for the club on the left-hand side.

Bentley's former manager, Mark Hughes, is unlikely to join the chase because he knows the player prefers a move back to the capital, where he started his career with Arsenal.

Tottenham will recoup some of the fee by offloading England goalkeeper Paul Robinson, whose situation is being monitored by Villa manager Martin O'Neill, who now seems likely to lose out on Bentley.

While most of us would agree the price is too high, in todays market its what you expect in the prem league. Would be good if we could get him but on the left??
"IT LOOKS LIKE HODDLE HAS FOUND GOD, THAT MUST HAVE BEEN ONE HELL OF A PASS"

ramosrules
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by ramosrules »

Il Duce wrote:
King Ledley wrote:

quality >>> quantity

if i was top post every single article on lazio, we would be at 10 pages and only the italian speakers would understand wtf is going on.

asssssssnal thread is at 3 pages, but its just me and the spurs fans bagging the cabernet out of their shithouse club
Seems like 70% pictures 15% spurs fans and 15% arsenal fans, I haven't posted on there yet, just leave it alone if your a Spurs fan, they will only come on here posting crap. As for you Il Duce, you can post on there cause they will go to your Lazio thread no here :lol:
"IT LOOKS LIKE HODDLE HAS FOUND GOD, THAT MUST HAVE BEEN ONE HELL OF A PASS"

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

this is Barossa Pearl

i'm getting my stickied

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

delfino_1936 wrote:this is Barossa Pearl

i'm getting my stickied
while your at it get my lazio thread stickied too, or at least a serie a thread

the mods dont like me cause im italian

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

Il Duce wrote:

i'm getting my stickied

Serie A thread YES

lazio thread GET shiraz

;)

ComeOnYouBlues
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by ComeOnYouBlues »

delfino_1936 wrote:
Il Duce wrote:

i'm getting my stickied

Serie A thread YES

lazio thread GET shiraz

;)
LOL this is a sticky but X11 isn't!

manU4life
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by manU4life »

someone please put this thread in the oven

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

manU4life wrote:someone please put this thread in the oven
agree
IpswichTown1878 wrote:
agree

# 9
Star Player
Star Player

Post by # 9 »

Il Duce wrote:

i'm getting my stickied

ah you gettin the lazio threads stickied is the only achievment theyll be gettin all season :lol:

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

i find it hilarious that people have so much to say about my club

specially coming from a Palace fan :lol:

SpursOnTheRise
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by SpursOnTheRise »

how about we return this topic back to what it was originally about. SPURS O8/09 Season and all non spurs supporters should shiraz off! :D
Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur

"It's Grosso...It's Italy!"

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

delfino_1936 wrote:
agree
IpswichTown1878 wrote:
agree
delfino get lost, nobody likes you!!

SILENT P
Star Player
Star Player

Post by SILENT P »

The only thing that delfino and King Ledley can get sticky are the pages of their gay magazines :wink:
STAY ON YOUR FEET

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

King Ledley wrote:
delfino_1936 wrote:
agree
IpswichTown1878 wrote:
agree
delfino get lost, nobody likes you!!
get in the oven jewish boy

# 9
Star Player
Star Player

Post by # 9 »

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

gooders wrote:what a great day this was

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzwTGidGPnI
whose crystal palace? :?

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

SILENT P wrote:The only thing that delfino and King Ledley can get sticky are the pages of their gay magazines :wink:

:lol: didn't see that one coming