Division 1 - 1975

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Caretaker Coach
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Division 1 - 1975

Post by Caretaker Coach »

swannsong wrote:
winzor wrote:Two of those 1975 1st division clubs, Croydon Park and Hindmarsh, seem to be made up mainly of ex-federation old boys from the 1960's... with Budapest well represented. Croydon Park had Steve Herczeg, who played for Australia against North Korea in the world cup in 1965, and also Frank Balter, who played for the state against Everton in 1964.

I never saw either of those two clubs play, but I reckon they would have been "slow but skillful..."!
I played against them back then, they played on the South Parklands and I think Villi Militsis (of Villis fame) might have been responsible for the food back then.
John Huider was ever present for Budapest.
Downs had a former Full Australian International Representative Clem Higgins playing for them that year (Chris Higgins father ).

Great work Swannsong, the memories :) Lou Lodi was a very acrobatic GK,went to, Salis Inter , Tibby Veres classy left back, "Chalky" Kocsics very skilful mobile big man,played in the State side.

Caretaker Coach
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

swannsong wrote:bloodypassit requested this material and it goes against my better judgement to promote
Parafield Gardens....but here it is.....33 years on !

I remember that Junior Cup Semi - Final shoot out with Findon (lost 7-6). I scored from the spot but my mate Tony Beck didn't !
My friend Paul Hudson [now a leading Bridge (cards) player] was equal top goalscorer in Division 2 as the Downs were Division 2 Champions
for the first of their 4 Division 2 titles (the yo-yo years 1975, 1977, 1981, 1984)

Gardens Reserves also won the League Cup Double that year !
In 1975 several of Inter's players went to try their luck with federation, I think this was also their last year at the Happy Home Reserve ?
Even if those players had stayed, wouldve been tough as top 6 sides were all pretty strong.
1976 wasnt much better, just avoided relegation to the 3rd division.

KING NUGGETT
Star Player
Star Player

Post by KING NUGGETT »

1975 was a bad year for the Vale as well as Inter, Vale never Won a Game & got religated that year....

SAASL DIV.1 CHAMPIONS 73,75,78,02,10,11,13
CHALLENGE CUP WINNERS 74,75,80,08,10,11,13
SAASL DIV.1 RES. CHAMPIONS 71,75,77,78,79,94,11,13
RES. CUP WINNERS 73,75,76,13
CHAMPIONS OF CHAMPIONS 10
CICHANOWSKI SHIELD 90,08,11,12,14

Est.1966

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

KING NUGGETT wrote:1975 was a bad year for the Vale as well as Inter, Vale never Won a Game & got religated that year....
!975 was the first time Elizabeth Downs won Division 2 and were promoted to Division 1

Clem Higgins at the back, last on the right (father of Chris Higgins), in his heyday had played one full international for Australia.
Southern Knights SC - 2024 - Celebrating 30 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Cobweb Rides Again
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Cobweb Rides Again »

Sannsong, Is that spelt correctly or is it Harry Dommerdich not Pommerdich?

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Cobweb Rides Again wrote:Sannsong, Is that spelt correctly or is it Harry Dommerdich not Pommerdich?
Harry Dommerdich is the correct name...
Southern Knights SC - 2024 - Celebrating 30 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Caretaker Coach
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

swannsong wrote:
Cobweb Rides Again wrote:Sannsong, Is that spelt correctly or is it Harry Dommerdich not Pommerdich?
Harry Dommerdich is the correct name...

There is a Peter Dommerdich coaching at Angle Vale,who had good season,could that be a son ?