SAASL offer to FFSA State League clubs

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: SAASL offer to FFSA State League clubs

Post by DOC »

swannsong wrote:I'm sure Sturt would probably abandon their State League side and focus on their Saturday SAASL Premier league side !
Pretty sure there is no link
ImageImage

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

How about this.

2013:
Div 1: Top 8 Div 1 clubs from this year (ie relegate 2 as usual), plus 2 promoted clubs, plus 6 from Feds (16 teams).
Split them evenly into two equal Saturday Div 1 leagues of 8 teams each (Black & White, or something).
Play 3 rounds. (You could even have a playoff of the league winners if you wanted.)

2014:
Div 1: Top 5 in each Div 1 league in 2013 (ie relegate 3 from each), plus 2 promoted (12 teams).
Div 2: 6 relegated teams, plus 4 teams remain from Div 2 (ie relegate 3), plus 2 teams promoted from Div 3 (12 teams).
Div 3: 3 relegated teams, plus 7 teams remain from Div 3 (ie relegate 1), plus two teams promoted from Div 4 (12 teams).
Div 4: 1 relegated team, plus 10 teams remain from Div 4 (11 teams).
(Note: no promotion & relegation from Div 5, it's a 1 team league)

Problem solved. :D
Stirling District (est 1967) 32 seasons successfully avoiding a Championship then this
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2004 Div 1 & Champion of Champions
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Create a Premier Blue and Premier Red Division.

Allow all teams to play for their rightful league status over a whole season where they know where the goalposts are. I remember them doing similar a few years ago, admittedly in the lowest division though.

EDIT: Went to post and saw Otto has suggested similar.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

otto62 wrote:How about this.

2013:
Div 1: Top 8 Div 1 clubs from this year (ie relegate 2 as usual), plus 2 promoted clubs, plus 6 from Feds (16 teams).
Split them evenly into two equal Saturday Div 1 leagues of 8 teams each (Black & White, or something).
Play 3 rounds. (You could even have a playoff of the league winners if you wanted.)

2014:
Div 1: Top 5 in each Div 1 league in 2013 (ie relegate 3 from each), plus 2 promoted (12 teams).
Div 2: 6 relegated teams, plus 4 teams remain from Div 2 (ie relegate 3), plus 2 teams promoted from Div 3 (12 teams).
Div 3: 3 relegated teams, plus 7 teams remain from Div 3 (ie relegate 1), plus two teams promoted from Div 4 (12 teams).

The only issue I see with that is that you effectively relegate the premier league team down 2 divisions.

Wraith
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Wraith »

God is an Englishman wrote:Create a Premier Blue and Premier Red Division.

Allow all teams to play for their rightful league status over a whole season where they know where the goalposts are. I remember them doing similar a few years ago, admittedly in the lowest division though.

EDIT: Went to post and saw Otto has suggested similar.
+1

I'd go with this

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

No GIAE, it only relegates the Prem league (Div 1) teams down to Div 2.
Not like you to have problems with comprehension. :lol: :wink:
Stirling District (est 1967) 32 seasons successfully avoiding a Championship then this
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

otto62 wrote:No GIAE, it only relegates the Prem league (Div 1) teams down to Div 2.

but otto with there being a Premier Black and Premier White, division 2 is effectively the 3rd tier (not the 2nd) or have my comprehension skills really let me down.

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

God is an Englishman wrote:
otto62 wrote:No GIAE, it only relegates the Prem league (Div 1) teams down to Div 2.

but otto with there being a Premier Black and Premier White, division 2 is effectively the 3rd tier (not the 2nd) or have my comprehension skills really let me down.
They are relegated from both Black & White leagues in 2013 into Div 2 in 2014.
Surprisingly, Div 2 in 2014 is actually the second tier, not the third.
I can probably rustle up a Year 5's NAPLAN test if you'd like to try the comprehension questions? :D
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

UniSA wrote:
swannsong wrote:I'm sure Sturt would probably abandon their State League side and focus on their Saturday SAASL Premier league side !
Ummm, they arent even the same club.
Sorry for not knowing the intimate workings of the 2 clubs called Sturt Marion.....maybe they should be ?
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

otto62 wrote:

They are relegated from both Black & White leagues in 2013 into Div 2 in 2014.
Surprisingly, Div 2 in 2014 is actually the second tier, not the third.
I can probably rustle up a Year 5's NAPLAN test if you'd like to try the comprehension questions? :D

so what happens to the teams that finish in 9th & 10th in 2012 Premier Division? If they go to Division 2 in 2013, surely that's the 3rd tier!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

swannsong wrote:
UniSA wrote:
Ummm, they arent even the same club.
Sorry for not knowing the intimate workings of the 2 clubs called Sturt Marion.....maybe they should be ?
Sorry Swannie but your knowledge is normally up there with the best on saasl. Take it as a compliment that we all expected better.

Isn't one called Sturt Lions and the other called Sturt Marion?

Could be worse, could be Modbury Jets and Modbury Jets.

bored
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by bored »

Would be because one is Sturt lion, the other Sturt Marion...

robinfriday10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by robinfriday10 »

i was told fulham, salisbury villa and 1 collegiate club have shown an expression of interest to the ffsa so if was to happen a 9 team league would be viable

God is an Englishman wrote:so what happens to the teams that finish in 9th & 10th in 2012 Premier Division? If they go to Division 2 in 2013, surely that's the 3rd tier!
true, if salisbury and olympic finish where they currently sit and lose their play off with the state leagues 5th and 6th side they affectively will be relegated to the ffsa "Amateur" league or third tier...
things happen for a reason

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

robinfriday10 wrote:i was told fulham, salisbury villa and 1 collegiate club have shown an expression of interest to the ffsa so if was to happen a 9 team league would be viable

God is an Englishman wrote:so what happens to the teams that finish in 9th & 10th in 2012 Premier Division? If they go to Division 2 in 2013, surely that's the 3rd tier!
true, if salisbury

I was actually talking about the saasl premier division. The ffsa teams are irrelevant because they would make their choice as to whether to move or not.

robinfriday10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by robinfriday10 »

God is an Englishman wrote:Could be worse, could be Modbury Jets and Modbury Jets
due to stolen identity we know who would have to change :lol:
things happen for a reason

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

robinfriday10 wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Could be worse, could be Modbury Jets and Modbury Jets
due to stolen identity we know who would have to change :lol:
We sure do :D

To Mati
Star Player
Star Player

Post by To Mati »

otto62 wrote:How about this.

2013:

2014:

Great idea. This approach would probably minimise the frustration across the SAASL if this was to go ahead.
Either way, it's going to be a bloody mess and there will most certainly be a few clubs disappointed with any proposal.

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

[Quote GIAE] so what happens to the teams that finish in 9th & 10th in 2012 Premier Division? If they go to Division 2 in 2013, surely that's the 3rd tier![quote]

Good try GIAE, but ....
If they come first or second in 2013 in Div 2 (supposed third tier) they go to Div 1. Sounds like second tier to me.
If they come 3rd-6th in 2013 in Div 2, then they stay in Div 2. Again sounds like second tier to me.
If they come 8th or 9th then they drop to Div 3. Again, sounds like second tier.

So your argument REALLY is that a team relegated from Div 1 in 2012, that finishes 7th in Div 2 the next year, shouldn't have to drop to Div 3.

NAPLAN offer is still open. 8)
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

otto62 wrote:
so what happens to the teams that finish in 9th & 10th in 2012 Premier Division? If they go to Division 2 in 2013, surely that's the 3rd tier!

Good try GIAE, but ....
If they come first or second in 2013 in Div 2 (supposed third tier) they go to Div 1. Sounds like second tier to me.
If they come 3rd-6th in 2013 in Div 2, then they stay in Div 2. Again sounds like second tier to me.
If they come 8th or 9th then they drop to Div 3. Again, sounds like second tier.

So your argument REALLY is that a team relegated from Div 1 in 2012, that finishes 7th in Div 2 the next year, shouldn't have to drop to Div 3.

So the team that finished 9th in Premier in 2012 would drop to division 2 in 2013. Correct?

Division 2 in 2013 would be the 3rd tier (Premier White and Black being effectively the top 2 tiers). Correct?

So they would drop from 1st tier to 3rd tier. Would they not?

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

They are looking for feedback to make the transition smooth, any ideas should be sent in
ImageImage

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

otto62 wrote:

Good try GIAE, but ....

So the team that finished 9th in Premier in 2012 would drop to division 2 in 2013. Correct?

Division 2 in 2013 would be the 3rd tier (Premier White and Black being effectively the top 2 tiers). Correct?

No Div 2 is not the third tier.
There is effectively a 16 team Div 1, then Div 2.
There might be a Year 3 NAPLAN test you could try instead. :lol:

(Edit for clarity: Neither Black nor White are the second tier, they are jointly the first tier.)
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

otto62 wrote:No Div 2 is not the third tier.
There is effectively a 16 team Div 1, then Div 2.
There might be a Year 3 NAPLAN test you could try instead. :lol:

(Edit for clarity: Neither Black nor White are the second tier, they are jointly the first tier.)
the fact that you need to edit for clarity shows you admit that you idea needed clarification.

Does the team who win division 2 in 2013 get promoted to the Premier League?

If there's 2 divisions above you then to me you are in the 3rd tier.

Take the 1982 Commonweath Games as an example, Alan Wells and Colin McFarlane were in a dead head and were joing first. The next placed person took home a bronze, not a silver. Shall we move on, I think you have a good plan.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Sorry Swannie but your knowledge is normally up there with the best on saasl. Take it as a compliment that we all expected better.

Isn't one called Sturt Lions and the other called Sturt Marion?

Could be worse, could be Modbury Jets and Modbury Jets.
My forte is probably more SAASL Sunday Divisions as the SAASL Saturday Leagues have only really grown following changes in the State's retail trading hours.
I nearly joined Sturt Marion when Roy Ainscough was there briefly as a coach.
Don't know a great deal about Sturt Lions....remember my brother playing for APAC against Orange Sturt back in the 70's and I did pre-season with Blackwood at Karinya Reserve in the mid to late 80's (John Van Der Veeken was team manager and Arthur Ruttley was coach back then)...I think these clubs formed the basis of the current Sturt Lions.
I was under the impression that Sturt Lions were only created (or re-created) to satisfy FFSA's rules to allow Sturt's juniors to compete at the best FFSA junior level....(are the FFSA Seniors separate from the Juniors and the FFSA Seniors don't have their own ground ?)
Surely if their State League side was superflous, the Junior setup would be better off aligning themselves with what is essentially a good SAASL set up in Sturt Marion.
Call themselves Sturt Marion Lions !
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

bored
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by bored »

Your first assumption was correct, Sturt lions juniors need the seniors to play in higher divisions. Karyina is sturts home ground, but doesn't meet ffsa standards for senior games...

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

So after years of them and us from Carter & co we are expected to welcome Federation teams into the top tiers of our league with open arms and let established clubs suffer.
shiraz em. Sort out your own mess, Mr. Carter.

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

Blueblood wrote:So after years of them and us from Carter & co we are expected to welcome Federation teams into the top tiers of our league with open arms and let established clubs suffer.
who knows what the ffsa are going to do anyway, they prob have to scrap plans in order to adhere to ffa mandates for the apl and ffa cup
ImageImage

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

DOC wrote:
Blueblood wrote:So after years of them and us from Carter & co we are expected to welcome Federation teams into the top tiers of our league with open arms and let established clubs suffer.
who knows what the ffsa are going to do anyway, they prob have to scrap plans in order to adhere to ffa mandates for the apl and ffa cup
Like I said, their problem. They've made their own bed.

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

Blueblood wrote:
DOC wrote:
Like I said, their problem. They've made their own bed.
i think everyone should wait and see what comes out of all of this then judge, saasl will tweek this depending on response or may pull it if ffsa change plans
ImageImage

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

DOC wrote: i think everyone should wait and see what comes out of all of this then judge, saasl will tweek this depending on response or may pull it if ffsa change plans
Well, everyone waiting and seeing is hardly giving them a response. Are you sure you are a doctor? :P

Right Back
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Right Back »

otto62 wrote:

Good try GIAE, but ....

I disagree, if you look at the tier structure of English football there are many parallel leagues and the league below 2 parallel leagues is still just one tier below.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_fo ... gue_system