2014 Junior League

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

groucho marx
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Re: 2014 Junior League

Post by groucho marx »

The question for the under 17's is whether it is a viable league with good coaching and progressive development. At Para Hills the 17's have been an important support to the seniors. Over the years many of Para Hills senior players have progressed through the under 17's. For some players, who are now playing first team, the 17's were an important stepping stone in developing confidence, tactical understanding and technique. It's too simplistic to say there is no value to the 17's. If the boys are well coached it can be an important stage in their continuing development.

Sven
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Sven »

John Taylor wrote:
Željko Jurin wrote:
John Taylor wrote:Perhaps they just like to play
Perhaps they want to improve
Perhaps they enjoy being part of the club
I totally agree, but what happens the next year ?
Look back on the good year they had, and then make up their mind to go to another club, get into the 18's, or hang up the boots having squeezed in one last year.
Spot on.

Sven
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Sven »

groucho marx wrote:The question for the under 17's is whether it is a viable league with good coaching and progressive development. At Para Hills the 17's have been an important support to the seniors. Over the years many of Para Hills senior players have progressed through the under 17's. For some players, who are now playing first team, the 17's were an important stepping stone in developing confidence, tactical understanding and technique. It's too simplistic to say there is no value to the 17's. If the boys are well coached it can be an important stage in their continuing development.
Correct.

Often juniors are pushed into senior football too quickly.

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

Sven wrote:
groucho marx wrote:The question for the under 17's is whether it is a viable league with good coaching and progressive development. At Para Hills the 17's have been an important support to the seniors. Over the years many of Para Hills senior players have progressed through the under 17's. For some players, who are now playing first team, the 17's were an important stepping stone in developing confidence, tactical understanding and technique. It's too simplistic to say there is no value to the 17's. If the boys are well coached it can be an important stage in their continuing development.
Correct.

Often juniors are pushed into senior football too quickly.
all depends on club depth. Teams without the luxury of depth normally promote kids from the u16 straight up to the u18's/reserves. In a perfect world we would have kids take each step to ensure they weren't out of their depth when stepping into senior football, but many clubs just don't have the luxury and needs juniors to step up and fill senior squads.

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

Again; what club are you at?[/quote]
Ibelieve wrote:What's that got to do with it? What club someone from??
Why are you afraid to say what club you represent?

Maybe you just represent your son's interests? I don't know. Telling us which club you speak for is not a criminal offence. Giving an opinion is fine, as long as you are willing to tell the truth.[/quote]

No kids of mine ate involved, and I coach kids.
Where and were are none of your business.
What I do know is- are you only in a committee for your kids interest??
Do you REALLY love the game and help as a volunteer because if it??
Or for your lad to progress??

runcorn2adelaide
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by runcorn2adelaide »

U17's IMHO is a development squad/reserves squad for the U18's.
Kids who spend alot of time on the bench (or maybe not even making the bench) for the U18's have to have an avenue to get match fit and stake their claim for an U18's spot.

My sons club did not have an U17's this year - but he is still young enough to play U16's, - he has been lucky and was promoted regularly into the U18's (as have several others).
He continued to play U16's weekly and began to get some U18's game time through the season.

We must remember that the U18's squads are still filled with developing youth players, and that the Senior season is very long, injuries happen and there has to be a pathway for players to be made available over the course of the season.

Through injuries within the U18's squad - he has now had a good run in the U18's starting many games - however continues to play in the U16's.

Next year there are players within his U16's squad that will not make the U18's at the start of the season - my Son included!

They need the option to stay at the current club and fight for an U18's spot (with the opportunity to play U17's to keep match fit)
or look for opportunities in lower division U18's.

I would suggest clubs have the U17's & U18's squads train together once a week too.

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

Ibelieve wrote:No kids of mine ate involved, and I coach kids.
Where and were are none of your business.
What I do know is- are you only in a committee for your kids interest??
Do you REALLY love the game and help as a volunteer because if it??
Or for your lad to progress??
Great.

Now, what club do you represent during and after school hours?

No one will hold it against you, if anything it will put more relevance to your comments.

Everyone else that has contributed to the discussion is not afraid to mention their club.

I'm at Croydon, been there for a few years. Have many friends and acquaintances there, we don't all see eye to eye but I'm not afraid to say what I beleive. Ours are all opinions, though we all know who's sharing them.

Which club?

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

runcorn2adelaide wrote:U17's IMHO is a development squad/reserves squad for the U18's.
Kids who spend alot of time on the bench (or maybe not even making the bench) for the U18's have to have an avenue to get match fit and stake their claim for an U18's spot.

My sons club did not have an U17's this year - but he is still young enough to play U16's, - he has been lucky and was promoted regularly into the U18's (as have several others).
He continued to play U16's weekly and began to get some U18's game time through the season.

We must remember that the U18's squads are still filled with developing youth players, and that the Senior season is very long, injuries happen and there has to be a pathway for players to be made available over the course of the season.

Through injuries within the U18's squad - he has now had a good run in the U18's starting many games - however continues to play in the U16's.

Next year there are players within his U16's squad that will not make the U18's at the start of the season - my Son included!

They need the option to stay at the current club and fight for an U18's spot (with the opportunity to play U17's to keep match fit)
or look for opportunities in lower division U18's.

I would suggest clubs have the U17's & U18's squads train together once a week too.
Agreed.

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

Now, what club do you represent during and after school hours?

No one will hold it against you, if anything it will put more relevance to your comments.

Everyone else that has contributed to the discussion is not afraid to mention their club.

I'm at Croydon, been there for a few years. Have many friends and acquaintances there, we don't all see eye to eye but I'm not afraid to say what I beleive. Ours are all opinions, though we all know who's sharing them.

Which club?[/quote]

I'll give you 3 guess's :)

fossil
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by fossil »

Correct.

Often juniors are pushed into senior football too quickly.[/quote]

all depends on club depth. Teams without the luxury of depth normally promote kids from the u16 straight up to the u18's/reserves. In a perfect world we would have kids take each step to ensure they weren't out of their depth when stepping into senior football, but many clubs just don't have the luxury and needs juniors to step up and fill senior squads.[/quote]

matty you only need to look back at your club of how your junior /senior player system promoted then broke down and you lack seniors now, whole teams pushed early then players pushed or dropped out because they lost there way and couldn't handle it, many other clubs have gained from what you let go.

how many club parents /committee members push kids for who they know and because they are good at 14-16 they must be good for 18's right?
some kids maybe ready to play seniors but others are just pushed way to early and are found out very quickly get injured or play carrying knocks but will never get moved back due to how they got there.

on-side
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by on-side »

Just looking at the posts for junior trials now appearing - will there be enough U17 teams to run a competition - as some clubs appear to not even be doing U17 trials? (unless they are planning to run the U 17 and U 18 trials together?)