Australia v Iraq....

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Nova
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nova »

Iraqi wrote:
olympiakos wrote:
Iraqi wrote:I'm from Iraq and just want to say you got PWND 2day,
U think Asia is peace of cake???
Face it, u got PWND ...... :lol:

And please go play with your kangoroos 4 god sake !!!
and u go and build ur country
Ok, it's just a game. I dodn't mean any disrespect at all.
To be honest, I still can't believe you lost to our shitty Team !!! some of your players can't even walk on the field. I want to know what u gonna do with Soth corea, japan or Iran?
Imagine we lost 2-1 with the same team we have to Iran B-team about month ago. they didn't have one of ther main players in their B-team.
What's the problem with australia ?
The problem with Australia is we give really important jobs to our mates, even if they don't know what they're doing :wink:

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

Doesn't matter how many strikers you change if the chances aren't coming then no striker will score. Nicky Carle is the creative midfielder that was needed to open them up.
Neil and Kisnorbo have been a disaster. Neil was out of position and didn't track back the way a stopper playing with 4 at the back should for the second goal and he gave the ball away for the 3rd.
They move the ball to slowly through the midfield and allow them to get bodies behind the ball.

Their No. 5 is the type of player the A League needs, quick, skillful and intelligent.

Iraqi
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Iraqi »

I still think you can make it through this group. you have to beat thailand with more than 3 goal difference. with such big names u can do it easilt. you just have to get rid of your coach.

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

BAGGIO 15 wrote:Doesn't matter how many strikers you change if the chances aren't coming then no striker will score. Nicky Carle is the creative midfielder that was needed to open them up.
Neil and Kisnorbo have been a disaster. Neil was out of position and didn't track back the way a stopper playing with 4 at the back should for the second goal and he gave the ball away for the 3rd.
They move the ball to slowly through the midfield and allow them to get bodies behind the ball.

Their No. 5 is the type of player the A League needs, quick, skillful and intelligent.
nicky carle would also be determined as he has something to prove. should have come on when the score was 1-1. the defence was so cabernet though that i don't think we would have won anyway

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

Iraqi wrote:I still think you can make it through this group. you have to beat thailand with more than 3 goal difference. with such big names u can do it easilt. you just have to get rid of your coach.
Simon Hill said regardless of the score if we beat Thailand we will progress.

It's based on head to head record and Thailand and Oz will be on equal points if we win. But because we beat them we would go through.
Go Reds

Check out Ground Phase at...
http://www.reverbnation.com/groundphase
http://youtu.be/TkdT5gPXQkM

'66 '68 '69 '71 '73 '76 '78 '13 '15

olympiakos
Star Player
Star Player

Post by olympiakos »

bottom line i think is that arnold can only do so much, difference is that how does a graham arnold tell a harry kewell what to do ? or even a viduka? u need a coach thats a bigger name than the players, hiddink takes no crap! australia needs hiddink, not houllier or lippi but hiddink needs to come back

FerrariTifosi27
Star Player
Star Player

Post by FerrariTifosi27 »

Iraqi wrote:I still think you can make it through this group. you have to beat thailand with more than 3 goal difference. with such big names u can do it easilt. you just have to get rid of your coach.
your right about that

Iraqi
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Iraqi »

limozeen wrote:

It's based on head to head record and Thailand and Oz will be on equal points if we win. But because we beat them we would go through.
no way, Imagine you beat Thailand and oman beats Iraq. which is highly possible. Base on Siomn Hill's idea who is gonna advance? it's a mess !!!
I'm quite sure: first is goal difference then if the goal difference is equal it's head to head result.
That's the way it was in AFC since asian cup first started about 40-50 years ago.
But c'mon you can beat thailand with more than 6 goals anyways.

olympiakos
Star Player
Star Player

Post by olympiakos »

Iraqi wrote:
limozeen wrote:

no way, Imagine you beat Thailand and oman beats Iraq. which is highly possible. Base on Siomn Hill's idea who is gonna advance? it's a mess !!!
I'm quite sure: first is goal difference then if the goal difference is equal it's head to head result.
That's the way it was in AFC since asian cup first started about 40-50 years ago.
But c'mon you can beat thailand with more than 6 goals anyways.[/quote]

thailand is playing well, i cannot see australia beating thailand by 6, i would like to think we can beat thailand but i also would have thought the same about iraq, to be honest, i will not be surprised if we lost against the thais

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

BAGGIO 15 wrote:Doesn't matter how many strikers you change if the chances aren't coming then no striker will score. Nicky Carle is the creative midfielder that was needed to open them up.

Yeh that's what i said before....we lacked technical quality and nick Carle could have given us that.

No.5 was awesome....Maybe Aurelio should give him a trial....I didn't mind no.11 also....beautiful left foot, great awareness also

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

Rigoni 10 wrote:

Yeh that's what i said before....we lacked technical quality and nick Carle could have given us that.

No.5 was awesome....Maybe Aurelio should give him a trial....I didn't mind no.11 also....beautiful left foot, great awareness also
searched that blokes name on google (nashat akram) and apparently sunderland have shown interest so doubt hell ever come here.

beskid
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by beskid »

this is so embarising, just had a phone call from germany, the whole world is laughing at us.

a team that nearly made the world cup quarter finals, with players earning tens of thousands a week comprehensively beaten by a team of amatures who dont even have a national competition.

this is a joke

Iraqi
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Iraqi »

olympiakos wrote:
Iraqi wrote:
limozeen wrote:

But c'mon you can beat thailand with more than 6 goals anyways.[/quote]

thailand is playing well, i cannot see australia beating thailand by 6, i would like to think we can beat thailand but i also would have thought the same about iraq, to be honest, i will not be surprised if we lost against the thais
Ok here's what I think abt your team:
1-Some of your players are very selfish and over-confident.
2- You have problem playing with Arabic team such as Oman, Iraq ... and also Saudi Arabia.
The thing that u have to remember about arabic teams is that u should never let them score first !!! that's the point ...
Their main strategy after the first goal is time killing and grssrolling and defencing with 11 players! but if you score that's a diffrent story.
but teams like thailand, vietnam which are from south-east of asia play in a diffrent way than arabs. you can easily beat them, trust me if you get rid of your coach and show some more dedication on the field u r going to beat them with more than 6 goals. mark my words

Rocky10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Rocky10 »

beskid wrote:this is so embarising, just had a phone call from germany, the whole world is laughing at us.

a team that nearly made the world cup quarter finals, with players earning tens of thousands a week comprehensively beaten by a team of amatures who dont even have a national competition.

this is a joke
Dont forget we only won One Game at the World Cup.

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

beskid wrote:this is so embarising, just had a phone call from germany, the whole world is laughing at us.

this is a joke
the iraqi's do have a league, some of their players play in even better arab leagues and some would earn much more than the australians.

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

Despite the disappointing result, Australia still has a chance of making the quarter-finals, if they can beat Thailand in its final group game on Monday night. A win will draw them level on points with the hosts and based on head to head results, would go through in second spot on the group table, albeit dependant on the other group game result between Iraq and Oman.

The above is from the FFA website. So if Iraq beats Oman and we win we will go through.
Go Reds

Translator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Translator »

did you see the reaction of Kosmina & Arnold during the game, just sat there like dumb and dumber. No control what so ever of what was happening on the park. This side can not be coached by anyone who doesn't have European coaching experience at a top side.

We lack a defence, Farina lost his job because he couldn't stop Australia from conceding and Arnold has fallen into the same trap. All our quality is up front we should be rock solid defending with support from midfield and wait for our chances up front but stupidity, arrogance and lack of determination (which is what Australian sides of all sports are world famous for) is destroying this campaign.

Not sure about the Arab teams not coming back from behind, I remember one side coming back from 2-0 down to get the result they need :(

Feel sorry for any Australian that booked in for a two week stay in Asia.
I don't like lies. I have understood your market where sometimes lies sell more than truth. This is your life and I don't like it. I understand your work and I have to work with you, but the protection of my group is much more important than you

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Agree with many of the comments already on this topic but want to add some more.

Arnold has been tactically inept so far and must shoulder the bulk of the responsibility for the results.

The Socceroos did well at the World Cup Finals using the Hiddink system. Arnold has taken that system and attempted to apply it to the Asian Cup.

At the World Cup Australia was an underdog - playing against world class opposition. Australia is not a footballing side - so Hiddink used a system that involved Australia defending for much of the game and then counter attacking with pace. The plan also involved Australia wearing down their opponents before coming out of its shell later in the game.

It worked great in Germany but it has not replicated its success in Asia.

Why?

Firstly the opponents in the Asian Cup are not in the same class as those of the World Cup. Instead of finding itself defending - the Socceroos are finding themselves dominating possession - having to play football. Their opponents are sitting back putting 11 players behind the ball - killing any prospect of Australia playing a fast breaking counter attacking game.

Secondly Hiddink was always careful to pick a very balanced side - one that could defend stoutly for long periods. In contrast Arnold has picked a side that looks very unbalanced. The defence is a mess. Why has Arnold picked a big lumbering English style centre half in Kisnorbo? Kisnorbo is totally unsuited to the small, quick and skilflull forwards of Asia. To worsen the mix he has throw in a midfielder in Luke Wiltshire as the thrid defender. Just because Hiddink was able to convert Chipperfield into an effective defender does not mean that every midfielder will make a half decent defender.

The midfield is also a mess - five players that all want to run with the ball. Fine when your counterattacking - but doesnt work when your opponents have 11 men behind the ball - where do you run? into your eleven opponents? Where is the playmaker in midfield? Where is the midfielder that can split open the defence with a decisive pass or move? Bresciano maybe...but what has happened so far has been that Lucas Neill has started to perform the role of playmaker - a DEFENDER! - what is a defender doing spraying the ball around the park? It says something about the midfield!

Thirdly Hiddink ensured the team was disciplined and stuck to his system. It appears Arnold has been unable to maintain this discipline. But its not just discipline at fault here - the players are all professionals and they know the system is not working so they improvise and try to force the outcome. So the system, that is not working, breaks down and you get defenders hitting 50 metres balls in straight lines for their opponents to lap up.

The most concerning aspect about the Socceroos performance is that they are not creating goalscoring opportunities. Under Hiddink the Socceroos always created chances. But under Arnold the Socceroos have created almost nothing - there are no missed chances - we have completely failed to break down our opponents.

Finally I am going to have a spray about the substitutions. What was Arnold thinking bring on Archie Thompson? Archie has not played a game for months. Even when he was playing he has shown he is just not up to international standard. Why he put him on at such a crucial time is beyond me. Must be a mate or something. Totally unjustified.

Arnold has played the wrong system for the Asian Cup.

With the benefit of hindsight we can all see that Graham Arnold was the wrong choice as coach.

FerrariTifosi27
Star Player
Star Player

Post by FerrariTifosi27 »

Your spot on admin, you have said everything that could break down the Asian opponents and especially with what Arnold has done when it comes to substitutions and the systems and discipline.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

admin wrote:Agree with many of the comments already on this topic but want to add some more.

Arnold has been tactically inept so far and must shoulder the bulk of the responsibility for the results.

The Socceroos did well at the World Cup Finals using the Hiddink system. Arnold has taken that system and attempted to apply it to the Asian Cup.

At the World Cup Australia was an underdog - playing against world class opposition. Australia is not a footballing side - so Hiddink used a system that involved Australia defending for much of the game and then counter attacking with pace. The plan also involved Australia wearing down their opponents before coming out of its shell later in the game.

Why?

Firstly the opponents in the Asian Cup are not in the same class as those of the World Cup. Instead of finding itself defending - the Socceroos are finding themselves dominating possession - having to play football. Their opponents are sitting back putting 11 players behind the ball - killing any prospect of Australia playing a fast breaking counter attacking game.
Secondly Hiddink was always careful to pick a very balanced side - one that could defend stoutly for long periods. In contrast Arnold has picked a side that looks very unbalanced. The defence is a mess. Why has Arnold picked a big lumbering English style centre half in Kisnorbo? Kisnorbo is totally unsuited to the small, quick and skilflull forwards of Asia. To worsen the mix he has throw in a midfielder in Luke Wiltshire as the thrid defender. Just because Hiddink was able to convert Chipperfield into an effective defender does not mean that every midfielder will make a half decent defender.

The midfield is also a mess - five players that all want to run with the ball. Fine when your counterattacking - but doesnt work when your opponents have 11 men behind the ball - where do you run? into your eleven opponents? Where is the playmaker in midfield? Where is the midfielder that can split open the defence with a decisive pass or move? Bresciano maybe...but what has happened so far has been that Lucas Neill has started to perform the role of playmaker - a DEFENDER! - what is a defender doing spraying the ball around the park? It says something about the midfield!

Thirdly Hiddink ensured the team was disciplined and stuck to his system. It appears Arnold has been unable to maintain this discipline. But its not just discipline at fault here - the players are all professionals and they know the system is not working so they improvise and try to force the outcome. So the system, that is not working, breaks down and you get defenders hitting 50 metres balls in straight lines for their opponents to lap up.

The most concerning aspect about the Socceroos performance is that they are not creating goalscoring opportunities. Under Hiddink the Socceroos always created chances. But under Arnold the Socceroos have created almost nothing - there are no missed chances - we have completely failed to break down our opponents.

Finally I am going to have a spray about the substitutions. What was Arnold thinking bring on Archie Thompson? Archie has not played a game for months. Even when he was playing he has shown he is just not up to international standard. Why he put him on at such a crucial time is beyond me. Must be a mate or something. Totally unjustified.

With the benefit of hindsight we can all see that Graham Arnold was the wrong choice as coach.
Thats fine, but we all knew that was going to be the case. We were the favourites after all with many name players. Arnold simply has them building up to slowly with Culina and Grella playing infront of a back 4. Theats a defensive lineup to me.
In regards to can Arnold tell players like Kewell and Viduka who to play. Yes he can and doesn't need to keep blowing their trumpet in the press. Make each man accountable to the next and create competition for places by playing the personnel that suit the game your trying to play.

Admin, you've made great points about the midfield and it's lack of balance as well as the disaster the defensive setup is. Neil needs to be pulled into place and Kisnorbo is not up to that level, either is Holman or for that matter the Thompson change was a complete waste as he's an out and out striker and his distribution is not good enough to come from behind the strikers. Arnold has got it all wrong.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

BAGGIO 15 wrote:
admin wrote:Agree with many of the comments already on this topic but want to add some more.

Why?

Thats fine, but we all knew that was going to be the case. We were the favourites after all with many name players. Arnold simply has them building up to slowly with Culina and Grella playing infront of a back 4. Theats a defensive lineup to me.
Arnold appears to be a slow learner or very arrogant/stubborn- three very poor performances - Singapore - Oman and Iraq - but no real changes in style or tactics.

The warning bells were ringing for Kisnorbo since the Uruguay game - Arnold continued to persist with him and has now paid the price.

Any chance Arnold had of holding on to the Socceroo job is gone.

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

Post by Missing Post Count »

limozeen wrote:

Unless Oman beat Iraq in which case an Aussie win would leave all four teams on 4 points, and if both win by two goals then all goal differences will be zero.

A win should be enough, but may not guarantee progress if Oman win. The way Australia has played so far we may not beat Thailand

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

Bodø Glimt wrote:
limozeen wrote:

Unless Oman beat Iraq in which case an Aussie win would leave all four teams on 4 points, and if both win by two goals then all goal differences will be zero.

A win should be enough, but may not guarantee progress if Oman win. The way Australia has played so far we may not beat Thailand
They don't deserve a 1/4 final spot. I hope they get through but they don't deserve it.
Go Reds

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Thailand

Post by ozzie owl »

If we we stumble through what an insult we have been crap!!!

Zakynthos
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Zakynthos »

Why?

very interesting

8)
With great power comes great responsibility

Its not who you are, but what you do that defines you