Adelaide Olympic player scores 10 goals in one game

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

bennylava
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Adelaide Olympic player scores 10 goals in one game

Post by bennylava »

allow me to explain some things:
for starters, an article can be criticised on its journalistic mertis (i.e how newsworthy a story is, how well the article is written etc.) without criticising what the article is about, so whoever suggested otherwise is simply wrong there.

secondly, don't take things so personally. when the mass media is used to further one's own means, there is an understanding that they put their story out there for open slather. no one is forced to comment to the press, and people who don't want the discussion that can come with a news story should just refrain from doing the news stories all together. you are more than welcome to say "no thanks, i don't want to comment mr. journalist", at which point the journo doesn't write the article, and no one has anything to worry about. simples.

furthermore, professional athletes are amongst a group of society that put themselves out in the public sphere and USE the mass media to futher their own means, and this means that they have to accept any comments, positive or otherwise that comes their way. it goes with the job description, and while some people think it's bad that professional athletes are scrutinised more than other members of society, thats what they get for using the media to make lots and lots of money. while i'm guessing lots and lots of money wasn't involved in this particular example, i'm also guessing it wasn't a chore to do the story for the tiser, i mean, look at quigs in the photo, she's having a ball.

the ones that oughtta grow up are the ones throwing a hissy fit about the comments here. this is a site for opinions (i think i mentioned this) and sadly not everyone has something positive to say, especially not on the internet. the Adelaide Now web page for the article has a comments section - what are you going to do if people start bagging it there?

don't want negative comments? don't put yourself out in the public forum that is the cities only daily newspaper for public discussion.

BillShankly
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Adelaide Olympic player scores 10 goals in one game

Post by BillShankly »

locked by request.