Australia vs Thailand

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Pimpong
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Australia vs Thailand

Post by Pimpong »

I am going to pick a starting line-up

Schwarzer
Emerton-Thwaite-Milligan
----------Grella
Cahill----Bresciano---Kewell
----------Carle
-------Viduka-Thompson

I have decided to play Milligan ahead of Kisnorbo because he has played poorly in the past 2 games and Milligan has experience against these types of teams after the ACL. I have put Bresciano in the middle because he doesnt have the same effect as he does if he is put on the wing. For Palermo he plays off the strikers, and he does it brilliantly. Thompson is put in because he is quite quick and can move of Viduka. Kewell IMO has to be put on the wing, he cannot be played in the middle. I have taken Culina off as he hasnt been impressive in the past 2 games along with Holman.

"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is someone like Norman Einstein" Bill Shankly - Ex. Liverpool Manager

Googes
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Googes »

I agree with that when they need to score a least 2 goal win to advance.
It looks aggressive.

But one problem you made with the side?
Grella will be replaced by Valeri due that he is on a yellow already and that they go through they need to play Japan likely.

It is no supprise the team needs this many changes when Aussie B team beat the A team in Singapore in a internal practice match.

My younger blokes play they will want it harder than a regular.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Australia vs Thailand

Post by admin »

Pimpong wrote:I am going to pick a starting line-up

Schwarzer
Emerton-Thwaite-Milligan
----------Grella
Cahill----Bresciano---Kewell
----------Carle
-------Viduka-Thompson

I have decided to play Milligan ahead of Kisnorbo because he has played poorly in the past 2 games and Milligan has experience against these types of teams after the ACL. I have put Bresciano in the middle because he doesnt have the same effect as he does if he is put on the wing. For Palermo he plays off the strikers, and he does it brilliantly. Thompson is put in because he is quite quick and can move of Viduka. Kewell IMO has to be put on the wing, he cannot be played in the middle. I have taken Culina off as he hasnt been impressive in the past 2 games along with Holman.
Personally I would be looking to send Archie Thompson home and trying to bring Nathan Burns into the squad. Archie Thompson adds nothing. He demonstrated, once again, he is not up to international standard, was unfit and had the touch of a donkey.

You have to play the best lineup - forget about the Japan game - we will have enough trouble beating Thailand on current form.

I would start Aloisi instead of Thompson. Aloisi has 45 minutes to do something or he is coming off. Alternatively you could play Cahill up front feeding off Viduka.

One option is to give Kewell a rest on the bench and bring him on at half time as an impact player - not sure about that one.

Would much rather see Emerton in midfield - but Arnold has picked such a poor defensive squad that, with the loss of Neil, there is no one left to take his place. Beauchamp would be a very risk decision.

Cahill doesnt look to be match fit.

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

Googes wrote:I agree with that when they need to score a least 2 goal win to advance.
Do they?

If Iraq beat Oman then they go through as group champions. Then if australia beat thailand they would have the same points as thailand. GD does not count at that stage (well it doesn't in most "major" tournaments) it comes down to the points earnt against the team with the same points. You'd go through because you beat thailand.

So a win is enough, even 1-0. (as long as Oman don't win)

ExtraTime
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by ExtraTime »

Official Ruling

9 Competition System
E) In the league system the ranking in each group is determined as follows:
i. Greater number of points obtained in all group matches;
ii. If two or more Teams are equal on the basis of the above criterion, their place shall be determined as follows

a) Greater number of points obtained in the group matches between the Teams concerned;
b) Goal difference resulting from the group matches between the Teams concerned;
c) Greater number of goals scored in the group matches between the Teams concerned;
d) Goal difference in all the group matches;
e) Greater number of goals scored in all the group matches;
f) Kicks from the penalty mark if only two Teams are involved and they are both on the field of play;
g) Drawing of lots

manU4life
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by manU4life »

archie thompson cannot play international football....brett holman or john aloisi to partner vidukes for mine

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

manU4life wrote:archie thompson cannot play international football....brett holman or john aloisi to partner vidukes for mine
I'm not a huge fan of holman either. His shooting and passing have been pissweak.

Gets the ball in good position then does nothign with it.

Definatley not Thompson. He's useless. Aloisi with Viduka up front.
Go Reds

Check out Ground Phase at...
http://www.reverbnation.com/groundphase
http://youtu.be/TkdT5gPXQkM

'66 '68 '69 '71 '73 '76 '78 '13 '15

rooboy1986
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rooboy1986 »

My formation:

I've had a think about this... I sooooo want to play Carle but it is either Carle or Cahill (even though they could play together but Carle will need to lift his game and as i mention below i would play them both if Bresca isnt doing anythign), just like it is Culina or Grella, can't play both like Arnold has been doing!!! :roll: :roll:

Defensively i think we are in trouble, we MUST play 4-4-2... we can't afford to play with only 3.

I believe this is the lineup we should take into the game:

-------------Schwarzer
Emerton-Thwaite-Beauchamp--Milligan
----------------Culina
Bresciano------------------Kewell
------------------Cahill
-------Viduka-----------ALoisi

I believe Milligan should've been drafted in earlier and PLEASE DONT LET WILKSHIRE TAKE FREE KICK!!! if he plays that is!!!

Finally, bresciano needs to lift, otherwise i would drag him for Carle and put Culina on the right and play Carle and Cahill as two centre mids.

Either way... good luck boys

Reggina10Cozza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Reggina10Cozza »

rooboy1986 wrote:My formation:

I've had a think about this... I sooooo want to play Carle but it is either Carle or Cahill (even though they could play together but Carle will need to lift his game and as i mention below i would play them both if Bresca isnt doing anythign), just like it is Culina or Grella, can't play both like Arnold has been doing!!! :roll: :roll:

Defensively i think we are in trouble, we MUST play 4-4-2... we can't afford to play with only 3.

-------------Schwarzer
----------------Culina
------------------Cahill

I believe Milligan should've been drafted in earlier and PLEASE DONT LET WILKSHIRE TAKE FREE KICK!!! if he plays that is!!!

Finally, bresciano needs to lift, otherwise i would drag him for Carle and put Culina on the right and play Carle and Cahill as two centre mids.

R u joking.... bresciano is the only player in the team capable at the moment of playing a decent through ball or setting a play up using the wingers. the first half when bresciano seemed to be playing behind viduka and holman he was playing well.... how can you pick on bresc when he was actually affective last night when our other playmakers kewell and cahill where non existant. Bresciano deserves more respect.... play him where he can be our play maker, either feeding the striker as he did for Amauri at Palermo or behind the front two..... Pimpongs line up is impressive he obviously knows where our players are most affective.

rooboy1986
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rooboy1986 »

Reggina10Cozza wrote:
rooboy1986 wrote:My formation:

-------------Schwarzer
----------------Culina
------------------Cahill

R u joking.... bresciano is the only player in the team capable at the moment of playing a decent through ball or setting a play up using the wingers. the first half when bresciano seemed to be playing behind viduka and holman he was playing well.... how can you pick on bresc when he was actually affective last night when our other playmakers kewell and cahill where non existant. Bresciano deserves more respect.... play him where he can be our play maker, either feeding the striker as he did for Amauri at Palermo or behind the front two..... Pimpongs line up is impressive he obviously knows where our players are most affective.
No, not joking... just giving an opinion... i'd play Cahill, carle and holman in the "hole" before Bresciano... besides i think bresca is better wide... IMHO...

Go aussie!!

Knight7
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Knight7 »

Bresciano has bee shocking, in this heat I would start either Cahill or Kewell on the bench, from memory in the World Cup Guus never started them both - need an impact player - I would play Carle long before Thompson

Googes
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Googes »

When Carle get his chance against Thailand. Everyone will be say how good he is. He is better than most of Australian European players. That he can play with that flair with his classy touches.

Carle must play

Googes
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Googes »

Basically waht is wrong with a 3-5-2 formation

Team would go like this

--------------Schwarzer
Emerton----Beauchamp----Thwaite

---------------Milligan
Bresciano--------------------Kewell
-----------Carle-------Cahill

-----------Viduka-----Alosi

This would be the best likey line up because it can play many formations. Just like how Guus like to play when coaching Australia.-------------
Last edited by Googes on Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knight7
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Knight7 »

I think we will beat Thailand and go through, after that who knows we have been trying to force the game and been caught on the counter when Iraq scored their second Australia were actually playing the best they have so far - while it's been shocking from Australia it's far from over

olympiakos
Star Player
Star Player

Post by olympiakos »

Knight7 wrote:I think we will beat Thailand and go through, after that who knows we have been trying to force the game and been caught on the counter when Iraq scored their second Australia were actually playing the best they have so far - while it's been shocking from Australia it's far from over
I also believe we can beat thailand, main thing is not to concede first because the thais have home support and it could help them through, but in saying that it wouldnt surprise me if the thais beat us

Rocky10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Rocky10 »

I would like to think that we will defeat Thailand, but the confidence of the Australian supporters is at an all time low.

We were favourites going into this tournament and this might of made the supporters over confident. This thing saying were gonna win the Asian cup isn't as easy as it sounds. You take ever game as it comes and never get ahead of yourselves.

We now no that Asian teams aren't push overs. Most of the teams are a good quality opposition.

Graham Arnold came firing out in his press conference
Graham Arnold wrote: "Some of the players looked like they just did not want to be there"
Lets hope in this game Australia prove there critics wrong and get the win.

jazzy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jazzy »

I think they should go to a 4-4-2, mainly because the system isnt working, and all the players will know the 4 -4-2.

schwarzer

emerton__________beauchmanp___milligan______carney

breshiano________culina_____cahill____________kewell

___________________carle________viduka

Pimpong
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pimpong »

jazzy wrote:I think they should go to a 4-4-2, mainly because the system isnt working, and all the players will know the 4 -4-2.

schwarzer

emerton__________beauchmanp___milligan______carney

breshiano________culina_____cahill____________kewell

___________________carle________viduka
Not bad idea to play Carney a LB. I forgot all about him to be honest. The only problem with playing him LB is that you will limit his attacking ability. He would have to defend more and that is the part of his game which is lacking. I would play Thwaite ahead of Beauchamp beacuse he is a little shaky playing in the centre of the park. Culina has disappointed me, he gets the ball and does nothing with. He runs like a chicken without a head when he gets it. I would have Carle slightly in behind Viduka so he can feed off him and give the ball out wide.

"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is someone like Norman Einstein" Bill Shankly - Ex. Liverpool Manager

Lilly Whites
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Lilly Whites »

Schwazer
Emerton Thwaite Beauchamp Milligan

Culina

Burns Kewell

Carle

Viduka

Aloisi

pace on the wings is important vs thailand...you get that through burns and kewell to an extent, but he has the skill... the back four is solid without kisnorbo...

Carle to start as attacking midfielder and do what he did best for Newcastle which is dominate midfield and play the ball around

Viduka to sort of tuck in behind aloisi and hold the ball up...bring carle and burns into the game more

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

Schwarzer

Emerton Beauchamp Carney

Grella Culina

Bresciano Carle Kewell

Cahill

Viduka

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

what has happened to kenedy?

Lilly Whites
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Lilly Whites »

paul merson wrote:what has happened to kenedy?
wherever he is atm, he isnt gettin a start

pires7
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by pires7 »

ruptured achillies tendon for kennedy! He did it in preseason for his club side Nurnberg!

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

pires7 wrote:ruptured achillies tendon for kennedy! He did it in preseason for his club side Nurnberg!
All is not well;
I doubt some foul play.

barbarez01
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by barbarez01 »

3-0 Australia
Sejad Salihovic!!

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

Kennedy did his ACL in his 2nd training after moving to Nurenburg last August. Hasnt played any competative football since the World Cup.

====

Lineup:: 4-3-3

--------Schwazer-----

Emerton-Thwaite-Kisnorbo-Milligan

---------------Grella------
-----------Cahill----Culina

---Bresh-------------------Kewell
---------------Viduka

* Looking for forward runs from Emerton and Milligan, but not stupidly like Emerton is prone to doing.
* Cahill given more license out of the middle 3 to make late runs into the box.
* Viduka to play 100% the game with his back to goal, holding up the play to involve the midfield and deep runs from Milligan and Emerton.
* Bresciano and Kewell to be given free roles to feed off Viduka and make the play.
* Other options play Culina as an attacking leftback (played on the left before) and replace him in the middle with Carle or Wilkshire.

barbarez01
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by barbarez01 »

kennedy is fully fit and raring to go for nurmberg.. has played the clubs last 3 pre season friendlies..
Sejad Salihovic!!

Jono82
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Jono82 »

To everyone who has Cahill in their starting lineups...

I posted this in Zak's pathetic rant number 2 thread...

LET ME SAY THIS FROM THE START, THAT I IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM AGREE WITH THIS (and this is in spite of my allegiances)

Everton and the FFA have brokered a deal that Cahill will only play 30 mins per game! This was due to Cahill breaking a metatarsal bone in his foot (out of action for 3 months) and Everton not wanting him injured for the start of the season in less than a month's time!

As I said, I do NOT agree with this arrangement at all - my opinion is he should be playing, it's the best way to get his match fitness back.

BADA BING
Star Player
Star Player

Post by BADA BING »

If they do have a deal then why did Cahill state he wants to start the next game against Thailand and he also wanted to start against Iraq :?:

**NERAZZURRI**
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by **NERAZZURRI** »

Schwartzer

Thwaite beauchamp Milligan

Grella cahill

emerton Kewell

bresciano

thompson viduka

we have to face facts here if we are to win and be useful. Graham arnold has to realsie that he is not guus hiddink and he cannot duplicate his coaching stytle. u can see he is trying to copy it exactley and its just not working the balance isnt there. Next fact viduka just does not socre enough when he is up front by himself, dont people see this, its been proven over his 50 internationals that he doesnt score enough goals on his own and nor do the players around him to justify him carrying all the goal scoring burden of the national team. he plays in the premier league with support up front and he scores 18 goals a season so archie has to accompany him. viduka can hold the ball up and give it off to him rather than hold the ball up for nothing because it is plain to see in those conditions or with the lack of interest from the rest of the supporting attackers the support isnt coming through. archie will add mobility, speed and hunger that the team is missing, it will add unpredictacbility to our attacks. australia also doesnt score many goals, we need goals tonight so breciano must support the attack so we can score, u dont get three points for f*ucking around with the ball outside the box and in midfield (especially when they do decide to pass it there is no purpose in the attacks). Cahill has to start, simple as that, this 30 min crap is rubbish u could go on the pitch for 10 seconds and get injured, if its gonna happen its gonna happen, if its in gods plan for u to get injured u will get injured doesnt matter how long u play. The back need to be re shuffled, these three guys will add mobility to a defence which we lack againt the faster asian players also these guys will bring some of the passion and enthusiam to the team that has been missing, if i have to watch kisnorbo stand there and ball watch one more time i will smash my tv into pieces.
i have full confidence that we can turn it on and bury about 5 tonight if arnold can tinker with the team positionally, give us a bit more going foward and alter the personell in defence, if he keeps the same team and formation then we will be in trouble, it hasnt worked, it wont work and even if it does i cant see us scoreing more than twice at the most based on out last performances.
we have the players and the motivation and the lessons from the last two games so we should be in good stead for a big win