Should Lucas Neil start against Japan?

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Poll ended at Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:34 pm

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 41

cfc
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by cfc »

The defence looked its strongest against Thailand without hime. Should GA squeeze him back in to the Socceroo's defence?

manU4life
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by manU4life »

of course he should, he is australias premier defender and yes he was a fool but we need him for a big game like japan, his distribution and experience will help us greatly. yes milligan and beauchamp were great but unfourtunately one of them has to miss out in my team...japan arent overly tall so milligan or beauchamp could play centrehalf and i wouldnt see a problem with it.

for mine....emerton beauchamp neill wilkshire with milligan the unlucky omission

Kosta Utd
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Kosta Utd »

nope.. what for?

firstly he hasnt set asia on fire with his defending skills and his attitude is poor and lacks disipline,

his own actions resulted in him missing an important match through suspension, so why should GA reward him by putting him back in the team?

Milligan and beauchamp got an opportunity, took it with both hands, stood up to challenge and both did exceptionally well

They should both be rewarded with starts in the next match against japan. If not, what message will that send to our youngsters that finally get given their chance at a starting spot?
H _ S T _ K _ buy a vowel?
----------------------------

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

I agree with Kosta.

Rocky10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Rocky10 »

I wouldn't play him

I wouldn't change a winning side.

Except for maybe Aloisi. He didn't really do anything but back chat to the ref.

Redders
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Redders »

Kosta United wrote:nope.. what for?

firstly he hasnt set asia on fire with his defending skills and his attitude is poor and lacks disipline,

his own actions resulted in him missing an important match through suspension, so why should GA reward him by putting him back in the team?

Milligan and beauchamp got an opportunity, took it with both hands, stood up to challenge and both did exceptionally well

They should both be rewarded with starts in the next match against japan. If not, what message will that send to our youngsters that finally get given their chance at a starting spot?
All good players bounce back. Lucas will step up for the big occasion. If they drop someone for Neil, it should be Emerton.

Redstar75
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Redstar75 »

Why change a winning formula? I see no reason GA should change the squad simply because of Neils reputation. As it sure wouldnt be based on his current form.

He's been ill disciplined , played poorly and his replacement in Milligan was almost best on ground against Thailand.

manU4life
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by manU4life »

redders wrote:
Kosta United wrote:nope.. what for?

All good players bounce back. Lucas will step up for the big occasion. If they drop someone for Neil, it should be Emerton.
emerton is the last person you'd wanna drop...his ability to play so many positions means he can play in any formation with any structure within it plus his engine is second to none

arxidi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by arxidi »

im with u manusa...

i reckon leave him out. getting dropped may also give him a kick up the ass and bring him back to the ground. hes been very cocky, and being thrown into the starting line up from a suspension will only feed his ego.

leave him out i say.
everyone is entitled to my opinion

tsss

manU4life
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by manU4life »

arxidi wrote:im with u manusa...

i reckon leave him out. getting dropped may also give him a kick up the ass and bring him back to the ground. hes been very cocky, and being thrown into the starting line up from a suspension will only feed his ego.

leave him out i say.
i actually want neill in the team bud but i take on board your point

emerton beauchamp neill wilkshire would be more 4 at the back

Andy_Pipkin
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Andy_Pipkin »

He is supposed to be one of our best players based on wc performances. Lately he has been believing his own publicity and the size of his head is obstructing Schwarzers view of the incoming high balls.

Needs to be disciplined and brought back to earth, but can we afford to leave him out in case he dedicides to play for the team instead of himself
“Walk on water? I know most people out there will be saying that instead of walking on it, I should have taken more of it with my drinks. They are absolutely right .”-Bryan Clough

Napoli
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Napoli »

Leave him out, unless you want useless long balls from defence....

diegom
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by diegom »

HELL, NO!!!!!!!!
He does NOT want to be there and will cost AUSTRALIA from progressing to the semi's

COLOSSUS
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by COLOSSUS »

Look Lucas Neil is a quality defender and very experienced, however he has NOT had a good tournament and probably deserves to start this game on the bench but he wont, he will start at the expense of Luke Wilkshire. You wouldnt drop Milligan, he was best on ground for me v Thailand and you certainly wouldnt drop Emerton, everything being created for us has come from Emertons side so i see Wilkshire as the most likely to be dropped but then again im NOT Graham Arnold and thank farrrrk for that :D
Hawkesy wrote:COLOSSUS...........Congratulations, you have won the title fair a square.

PLEASE WELCOME THE NEW WNID UP KING

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

NO

Lucas Neill has showed that he is not actually very good. No wonder he couldn't even get in Millwall's starting 11. Hope he continues this form into next season for the scum.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I would pick Neill.

Japan are a world class side and we are going to need a world class performance to beat them. We need Neill playing and we need him to play well. Beauchamp & Milligan did well and should retain their spots.

Playing Emerton again at centre half would be a very risky against Japan. He has a big engine but he struggles to keep his defensive position - he likes to move forward.

If GA sticks with the 3-5-2 formation then Neill will should play.

Either Wiltshire or Carney will make way with Emerton taking their position.

Other question is upfront - will he stick with Aloisi or will he replace him with either Cahill or Kewell?

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

:lol: Japan a world class side?!?! they might be one of the best Asian teams, but but does that make them not world class... :roll:

its jsut been rpeorted Lucas in in doubt becasue of a 'groin problem', one can only hope he doesnt get right for this match, he is a liability in this tournament... we shoudl go back to 4 at the backa gaisnt Japan, with Emerton on the right and whoever plays left-back, at left-back with Beachamp and Milligan in the middle...

diegom
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by diegom »

LFTWNG11 wrote::lol: Japan a world class side?!?! they might be one of the best Asian teams, but but does that make them not world class... :roll:

its jsut been rpeorted Lucas in in doubt becasue of a 'groin problem', one can only hope he doesnt get right for this match, he is a liability in this tournament... we shoudl go back to 4 at the backa gaisnt Japan, with Emerton on the right and whoever plays left-back, at left-back with Beachamp and Milligan in the middle...

Good call lefty
Totally Agree