f2.8 lenses

Forum for the discussion of music, video and photography related topics

Moderators: adam, Forum Admins

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

f2.8 lenses

Post by admin »

Saw another nice f2.8 lens - and its another Sigma - 24-70mm ex - and its reasonably priced.

Good for low light.

So Thunders your thinking of a 2.8 long range zoom - what are u thinking? canon 70-200 IS or the sigma equivalent?

Admin.

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by adam »

Canon - 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM is what i am getting... should have it soon... :shock:

cant wait to try it...

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Saw a Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS on Ebay going for $2300 by it now - second hand.

Admin

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Going to leave the Sigma 120 - 300 behind - I just cant see myself using a long range lens in Germany and it is too heavy to lug around just in case I might want to use it once or twice. Would you like to borrow it while I am away Thunders?

Admin

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by adam »

sorry admin... i missed this message...

i have now got the 2.8 Canon 70-200 and used it at Santos Stadium for the 1st time last night

http://www.footballnews.com.au/gallery/v/070606/

any thoughts...

pretty much all shot at 2.8 using 1600 ISO with no exposure compensation

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So you very happy with the canon?

Shots look good.

Taken several thousand photos over here in Germany - I am learning to use the camera a little better because of all the diverse conditions you come up with and little you can do to correct them - ie you cant come back to reshoot when the conditions are better.

Have found it difficult to get good shots inside the stadiums - you have bright streaming light in the middle and then the spectators are in shade. Plus you dont get to choose your location - its determined by your ticket.

The inside stadium shots that I am finding hard are all of stadium shots - sort of panoramic view of the stadium. I have not bothered with shots of the onfield action - there are hundreds of far better photographers with better equipment and in far better position than me to take those.

Admin.

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by adam »

yeah pretty happy with the lens... have been trying to get a look at what most of the pros are using at the WC

they mostly seem to have 2 bodies... one fitted with a decent telephoto lens... and the other with a lens for close up stuff.

The telephotos don't look like zoom lenses though... mostly fixed focal length, like a Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM - which retails for around $12,000

they weigh over 5kg 8)

gamst
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by gamst »

What was the lens u let me use thunders?

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by adam »

nope that was 2.8 Canon 70-200 IS USM

gamst
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by gamst »

was a very nice lens tbh

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote:So you very happy with the canon?

Shots look good.

Taken several thousand photos over here in Germany - I am learning to use the camera a little better because of all the diverse conditions you come up with and little you can do to correct them - ie you cant come back to reshoot when the conditions are better.

Have found it difficult to get good shots inside the stadiums - you have bright streaming light in the middle and then the spectators are in shade. Plus you dont get to choose your location - its determined by your ticket.

The inside stadium shots that I am finding hard are all of stadium shots - sort of panoramic view of the stadium. I have not bothered with shots of the onfield action - there are hundreds of far better photographers with better equipment and in far better position than me to take those.

Admin.
I have checked out some inside stadium shots done by professional photographers - they have lowered the shutter speed so that the crowd can be seen clearly (no shadow) and thus overexposed the sky area that streams in the middle of the stadium. Gives the central area a badly over-exposed/washed out look but it seems to be the only way. I did likewise for some of my shots - the other thing I have done is to use photoshop to manipulate the lighting of the dark areas :)

Admin