England 2-3 Croatia

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

King Of East
Squad Player
Squad Player

England 2-3 Croatia

Post by King Of East »

England failed to qualify for Euro 2008 after losing a sensational game against Croatia at Wembley.

England went 2-0 down when Scott Carson, in for Paul Robinson, helped Nico Kranjcar's shot into the net and then Ivica Olic slipped in a second.

Frank Lampard pulled one back from the spot after Jermain Defoe was fouled, before David Beckham, winning a 99th cap, set up Peter Crouch to level it.

But Mladen Petric fired in from 25 yards to break England's hearts.

The result will surely cost Steve McClaren his job as England manager and after such an abysmal display, he can have few complaints.

He gambled his position and England's participation on two huge selections and dropping Robinson and Beckham proved catastrophic.

Carson's performance will live long in the memory for all the wrong reasons and it may take the 22-year-old some time to recover.

When he stepped out onto the turf to warm-up and saw heavy rain making the pitch increasingly treacherous, he could have been forgiven for wishing Robinson - who was not even on the bench - had not been so unceremoniously dumped.

With eight minutes gone, he must have wanted part of the rain-sodden pitch to open up and swallow him whole.

Kranjcar found space 30 yards out and let fly with a dipping right-foot shot that bounced just in front of the keeper and Carson could only help the ball into the roof of the net.

The stadium fell silent - and six minutes later, England's world was on the brink of collapse.

Eduardo drove at the heart of the England defence and played a cute pass into the area for Olic, the Hamburg striker coolly dribbling round a shell-shocked Carson and rolling into an empty net.

England embarrassingly appealed for offside, but Wayne Bridge and, ludicrously, Wright-Phillips were both clearly playing him on.

McClaren's 4-3-3 formation had turned into a 4-5-1 as Peter Crouch was left painfully isolated in attack and his flick-ons were easily dealt with by the Croatians.

The visitors could have been more than 2-0 up by the interval - Carson patting the ball down after a shot from Luka Modric only for the ball to luckily force Kranjcar too wide to shoot.

Booed and jeered off the pitch, McClaren had to act and he brought on Jermain Defoe and Beckham for his 99th cap, with Barry and Wright-Phillips making way.

It barely made any difference, before England were handed a penalty by the eagle-eyed assistant referee who spotted Josip Simunic tugging back Defoe.

Lampard, with almost his first kick of the game, clinically dispatched the spot-kick to breathe new life into England's campaign.

England seemed keen to gift Croatia another goal as first Bridge cleared onto his own crossbar and then Carson repaired some of the damage by brilliantly saving Olic's point-blank header.

If the script had been written for Beckham to save his country once again, the former captain seemed keen to follow it.

The LA Galaxy midfielder sent over an inch-perfect cross from the right that Crouch expertly chested down and smashed into the bottom corner from seven yards.

Wembley erupted, but there was more drama to come on a remarkable night at the new stadium.

Croatia sent on Petric and with 13 minutes left, he arrowed a fizzing left-foot shot into the corner of Carson's net from 25 yards.

King Of East
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by King Of East »

Total disgrace!

McClaren has no idea, his formation from the start was baffeling!

Goodbye McClaren & good ridance!

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Howler by carsen, TAXI FOR MCLAREN :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tromsø wrote:they've just put the 5th one in and the crowd is now giving it the 'are you arsenal in disguise?'

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

Keeper didnt lose it for you, because you were handed one of the softest penalties to cancel it out.

England lucky it wasnt 5 or 6 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spot Željko Jurin Jnr ......

TDGv2
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by TDGv2 »

Goals conceeded by Carson in 1 qualification game = 3

Goals conceeded by Robinson in remaining qualification games = 4

Any english fan who still doesn't rate Robinson can now please foad.
I don't know where you pixies came from, but I like your pixie drink.

barbarez01
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by barbarez01 »

AUSSIE GOOSE! :lol:
Sejad Salihovic!!

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

Croatia were not given the respect they deserved by the English players or press - they are a good, disciplined side with flair and speed.

They will do damage at the Championships next year.

As for England - Bridge, SWP, Richards, Carson world class???? I think not, well not yet anyway - they look good for their clubs because of the foreigners.

England are fooling themselves when it comes to international football and this proves it.

King Of East
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by King Of East »

England have plenty of talent & worldclass players. They just don't have a worldclass manager & that is what it boils down too!!!!!

barbarez01
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by barbarez01 »

Scudetto8687 wrote:Croatia will do damage at the Championships next year.
Sejad Salihovic!!

Translator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Translator »

Scudetto8687 wrote:England are fooling themselves when it comes to international football and this proves it.
England are fooling themselves when it comes to football.

Maybe the British Govt could organise a fleet and colonise another country, it's about the only hope they've got of finding a half decent footballer.
I don't like lies. I have understood your market where sometimes lies sell more than truth. This is your life and I don't like it. I understand your work and I have to work with you, but the protection of my group is much more important than you

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

strappineastie wrote:England have plenty of talent & worldclass players. They just don't have a worldclass manager & that is what it boils down too!!!!!
How do you define world class? They havent made the final of a tournament in 40 years - how can they have world class players?

Only Gerrard, Rooney & Terry are truly world class.

King Of East
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by King Of East »

Scudetto8687 wrote:
strappineastie wrote:England have plenty of talent & worldclass players. They just don't have a worldclass manager & that is what it boils down too!!!!!
How do you define world class? They havent made the final of a tournament in 40 years - how can they have world class players?

There has been a number of worldclass players to have never made a final of a tournament!!!

Translator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Translator »

strappineastie wrote: There has been a number of worldclass players to have never made a final of a tournament!!!
but none of them ever played for England :wink:
I don't like lies. I have understood your market where sometimes lies sell more than truth. This is your life and I don't like it. I understand your work and I have to work with you, but the protection of my group is much more important than you

King Of East
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by King Of East »

97 wrote:
strappineastie wrote: There has been a number of worldclass players to have never made a final of a tournament!!!
but none of them ever played for England :wink:
& your point is?

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

Scudetto8687 wrote:
strappineastie wrote:England have plenty of talent & worldclass players. They just don't have a worldclass manager & that is what it boils down too!!!!![/quote]

[/quote]

If they had plenty of world class players and talent they wouldnt have any problems qualifying. They are obviously short somewhere - again ill remind you they have not made the final of any major tournament for over 40 years.

Translator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Translator »

strappineastie wrote:England have plenty of talent & worldclass players.
My point is the above statement is false. England never have never will.

The poms brag about how good they are at football without any substance to back it up. Would hate to hear how much they'd harp on if they had the record of Germany, Italy or France.

Hoof it long son :lol:

BillShankly
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BillShankly »

is there any sport england is good at?

Azz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Azz »

BillShankly wrote:is there any sport england is good at?
darts?

Hillsfootball
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Hillsfootball »

With England not making it to the Euro 2008 finals, it will be difficult to find any football news in the local media during the tournament next year.
It will be like other football countries do not exists.
However, it is sad for England not to qualify, the tournament will miss a good team.

Black Legion
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Black Legion »

Should have been 5 - 1

England weren't terrible, the Croats were just too classy all over the park.
Controversial penalty gave England a lifeline.

2 - 0 in Croatia now 3 - 2 at Wembley.....Croatia should surely consolidate itself as a Top 10 Football Nation.

England way over rated.

U boj.... U boj....Za narod svoj!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BADA BING
Star Player
Star Player

Post by BADA BING »

Its not sad that England didn't qualify its pathetic, they promise so much but constantly deliver SWEET F%^& ALLS :D

Ray Parlour
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Ray Parlour »

common guys its clearly arsenal's fault that england didnt qualify
http://www.fastfootball.net - live football news & scores from around the world in one fast loading page

*NHS has announced that all sperm banks in Manchester & West London will close over the next few days as all the chardonnays will be in Moscow

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

BADA BING wrote:Its not sad that England didn't qualify its pathetic, they promise so much but constantly deliver SWEET F%^& ALLS :D
What have they promised for the last 40 years again ????? SWEET F%^&ALL :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Another good thing game out of this, the Austrian and Swiss Police will be breathing a BIG sigh of relief !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

diegom
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by diegom »

Sucked in Engerland!
:wink:
:wink:

Hosovac
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hosovac »

Zovi, samo zovi! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

World Clarsh footballing nation taken to the cleaners in their own backyard! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Since when is feeling a tug on your shirt, and going down in a heap in the penalty area when you're no chance of getting near the ball a penalty? FFS! :twisted:

Carson made up for his blunder with his point blank save from Olic's header.

Fair result on balance of play and chances would have been 4 or 5.1 I reckon.

Poms were missing some talent, but faaaark me they are shiiite! :lol:

Volim te Hrvatskoooooooooooooooooooo! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

King Of East
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by King Of East »

97 wrote:

The poms brag about how good they are at football without any substance to back it up. Would hate to hear how much they'd harp on if they had the record of Germany, Italy or France.

I don't think it's the players, i think it's the management!

Filikis Eterias
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Filikis Eterias »

England ha ha ha. Gotta love it. No English thugs to ruin EURO 2008.
Before people jump up & down about Italian fans just remember when abroad they are fantastically behaved.

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

strappineastie wrote:
97 wrote:

So they've had shite coaches (managers) for the last 40 years have they :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Stop making excuses, your players are NOT good enough, and wont be for a very LONG time

King Of East
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by King Of East »

gremio wrote:England ha ha ha. Gotta love it. No English thugs to ruin EURO 2008.
Before people jump up & down about Italian fans just remember when abroad they are fantastically behaved.
Yeah cause they know they would get their heads smashed in!

King Of East
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by King Of East »

Zeljko Jurin wrote:
strappineastie wrote:
97 wrote:

So they've had shite coaches (managers) for the last 40 years have they :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Stop making excuses, your players are NOT good enough, and wont be for a very LONG time
I'm not talking about the last 40 years! I am talking about our current management ya knob!!! :roll: