the AWAY GAME

Forum for the discussion of football movies and related topics.

Moderators: adam, Forum Admins

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

the AWAY GAME

Post by johnydep »

the AWAY GAME

Just watched the DVD with my kids (missed the SBS showing). Great doco, shows what a young footballer can do with a dream and dedication. Tugs on your heart strings as well as being motivational.

Based on Matthew Hall's book and narrated by Anthony LaPaglia, this examines the overseas careers of Australia's elite footballers - players who, in the space of a few glorious weeks, have become household names in this country.

The reason for Australian football's diaspora is obvious - there simply aren't the opportunities here for world-class footballers that there are in Europe, where clubs spend more on one player than Australian clubs spend on an entire team. In candid interviews, players such as Harry Kewell, Mark Schwarzer, Tim Cahill, John Aloisi, Vince Grella and Mark Bresciano explain why they left Australia and the difficulties they faced moving overseas to pursue a dream.

This is a well-structured, beautifully shot documentary. There's plenty of match footage, but it's the interviews that make it special, putting a human face to a team that has only recently come to the attention of many Australians.

Despite success overseas, these players retain great affection for Australia and seem genuinely touched by the response to their World Cup bid. Speaking of the win against Uruguay, which saw the Socceroos qualify for the World Cup for the first time in 32 years, Kewell says: "It was Australia that got us through to the World Cup."

FEATURING:
Jason Culina
Tony Vidmar
Tony Popovic
Archie Thompson
Ljubo Milicevic
Zeljko Kalac
Vince Grella
Mark Bresciano
John Aloisi
Josip Skoko
Lucas Neill
Mark Schwarzer
Tim Cahill
Harry Kewell
Brett Emerton
Mile Sterjovski

WITH:
Hayden Doyle
John Filan
Mark Hughes
Dimitry Piterman
Guus Hiddink
Christian Gross
Graham Arnold
Joe Marston
Craig Johnston

crouchy15
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by crouchy15 »

i love the part on vinnie grella.
just listen how he goes on about his parmesan cheese. made me laugh very much
crouch doesnt do the robot. robots do the crouch

olympiakos
Star Player
Star Player

Post by olympiakos »

that is a good doco actually

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I believe it won some awards a while back.

It even won the major award at an Italian film festival.