Top Junior / Youth Coaches??

This forum is for the discussion of general coaching topics. Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

FootballNews is not responsible for any of the comments posted in this forum and this forum is moderated.

Moderator: Forum Admins

one nil
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Top Junior / Youth Coaches??

Post by one nil »

Following on from topics by Grim reaper re no one developing young players..........
who would you say the best Junior / youth coaches are at club level??

the REAL one
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by the REAL one »

me!!!
"Thats not sexy football!" and "Play the REAL one... again and again"

Football_lad
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Football_lad »

It is difficult obviously select one coach from all of the junior and youth teams being so many at both federation and amateur level. As a Young coach at the age of 17 coaching a under 8 team for an EDJSA side, coaching is a difficult gig. I Have been coaching junior teams for about 4 years now and i believe that age contributes alot to how good the coach really is... at a senior level there are many different aspects to coaching that need to be considered.

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

and you do a fine job Football_lad (& your sidekick) .
Bit disappointed you didn't nominate me (joke)...1 loss in 34 games at junior level aint too bad .

Football_lad
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Football_lad »

1 loss in 34 games hey??? and what team or club might that be associated with Young Man?

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

Look very close to home!

Football_lad
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Football_lad »

Looked close to home, found 3 Aboriginals, 2 drunken old bags and a asian named larry. Dont think either of them are capable of 1 loss in 34 games. think i might need another hint there ronald macdonald.

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

Correct me if I'm wrong..but you are from the Club of the 4 leaf clover???

Football_lad
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Football_lad »

That is true... glory glory, and who might i know you as?

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

Lets put it this way...I have put great trust in you , so that 1 day I can head for early retirement and live off my sons football earnings.

Football_lad
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Football_lad »

Now i see Ronald. So you have put your trust in me then. So i hope i will not ruin your trust. Good to hear some positive feedback on My efforts with the team. Will see you tomorrow at the Home of that four leaf clover...

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

When they forget why they are coaches!

BULLDOG
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BULLDOG »

Football_lad wrote:Now i see Ronald. So you have put your trust in me then. So i hope i will not ruin your trust. Good to hear some positive feedback on My efforts with the team. Will see you tomorrow at the Home of that four leaf clover...
just watch and learn ya trade from the bulldog mate(that's if your who i think you are,sav)
onoir diomasack

Football_lad
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Football_lad »

And i am glad to be under your reigns im sure i will learn plenty :D

BULLDOG
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BULLDOG »

Football_lad wrote:And i am glad to be under your reigns im sure i will learn plenty :D
watch and ye shall learn.plus mine is coming to an end yours is just begining.
onoir diomasack

fayigatsidoi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by fayigatsidoi »

Best coach is the one who picks up a team of players that everyone else rejects and accepts losing all games during the season while they work on developing missing skills for the players, because of the systematic sequential array of lazy egotistical pychcopathic maniac coaches that the kids got who neglected to understand that no matter if they dont win at the age of 5 or 6or 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 or 11 or 12 or 13 or 14 or 15 or16 or 17 , it doesnt matter because if they dont have real skills when they are about 18 they have no future what so-ever. The number of kids who get left behind because of incompetant communicators and motivators allowed to participate these days is mind boggling. The Number of kids who have had their confidence shattered because of some attila the hun saying the wrong things is grounds for genocide. The number of coaches who call themselves experts because of the number of years they have been involved is misleading.

The best coach is the one with intestinal fortitude to adopt the worst side in the JPL and invest the time and effort to make the side believe they can do it while recieving the ridicule of defeat by shallow bystanders for nearly a season and then allow these players to be integrated to a better side, perhaps with the lazy coach that caused the problem in the first place.

NOW DOES ANYBODY FIT THIS DESCRIPTION?

Football_lad
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Football_lad »

Would have no idea... Way too many words i never even knew existed. :D You Dont Coach one of the university teams do you?

socrates
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by socrates »

Football_lad wrote:Would have no idea... Way too many words i never even knew existed. :D You Dont Coach one of the university teams do you?
Dictionarys are not that expensive, take the time to use one as the article may make sense.

Tottenham Hotspur
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Tottenham Hotspur »

fayigatsidoi, well said. I have seen and heard coaches that have been around for years or coaches that have coached at high levels voice their opinion louder then others that have not had the opportunity to coach at a high level yet. Just because a person doesnt have the years of experience or a resume of high level coaching it does not mean that they dont have more knowledge. And as you rightly said, communication is very important and so is motivation. I know that when I was coaching I got more out of some players by building them up, inother words, motivating them.
125 years

the REAL one
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by the REAL one »

:wink:
"Thats not sexy football!" and "Play the REAL one... again and again"

the FAKE one
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by the FAKE one »

unknown? no u dont :wink:
"Thats not sexy football!" and "Play the FAKE one... again and again"

Fred Goldstone
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Fred Goldstone »

The only way to judge a Junior Coaches' ability is by how much improvement ALL of his players have made during the year.

Winning games means nothing if only a few players have made any genuine progress.

One of the main reasons so many kids drop out of football is that many Junior coaches tend to focus their attention on the 'star' players and winning games rather than on developing all of their players.

Winning trophies is no way to judge a Junior coaches ability.

I've seen many coaches who've won loads of trophies who I wouldn't let drive the team coach, let alone coach the team!

viduka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by viduka »

the key is communication and they way they teach.

the coach must continue to teach the developement of player's technique and skills. If the players are tought to have a good technique then the rest will fall into place.

Fred Goldstone
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Fred Goldstone »

Exactly Viduka, Coaches need to be able to communicate to their players.

I remember talking to a Super League player early in the season who normally played left-midfield as an attacking player.

His new coach was playing him at left-back in a defensive role, so I asked him why?

He said he was just told to play there and only go up for corners and free-kicks.

He had no idea of the team's tactics and had little understanding of his own role.

The coach had never sat the players down and discussed the teams shape and tactical plan - all he did was abuse them when they made a mistake.

I spoke to the coach a week or so later and asked what his tactics were and why he was using them - he failed to make it clear to me what his tactics were and it was clear tome he had no idea of why he was using them.

povman_2009
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by povman_2009 »

FG And yet someone appointed him to the position,

At super league level you would think that the committee doing the appointment would interview the person and review his references

If he was as bad as you say then the committee should resign

A bad coach should not be given a good job simple

Fred Goldstone
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Fred Goldstone »

Povman, it happens all the time.

Most Committees appoint coaches based on their personal biases not necessarily on the coaches' abilities.

That's why you see the same old faces year after year doing the rounds of the clubs.

As I've said in other postings there needs to be a development plan that allows coacheso progress through the ranks gaing experience and qualifications on the way.

Hollygirl
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Hollygirl »

Fay

There is a coach exactly like your description coaching under 12's at the Adelaide Cobras....he is about teaching the skills and developing players. He focuses on the whole team and I have no doubt that he can get the best out of players if they have the right attitude and want to learn! :wink:

Jeda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Jeda »

From what I've seen, most of our junior coaches are developing their own egos. Win at all costs seems to be the motto.

I've watched a few training sessions and games of under 8's, 9's & 10's and I always wonder why the kids are given the same position week in week out.
At this age the aim of coaching should be about teaching the young players all positions of the game, give them a chance in all positions. That way they learn more and find their strengths & capabilities.

All I see is coaches putting kids in a position to get a winning outcome, this is what should happen at later ages, U/11's & up.
I do not know which makes a man more conservative—to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past.
- John Maynard Keynes

Drusetta
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Drusetta »

Jeda
You're right; do get yourself a coaching qualification (if you don't already have one) and help us current coaches with this issue.

I would argue that even up to 15 a player can change his "key" position.
That said, every player should be able to play at least 3 or 4 positions very well anyway.
For the Game. For the World.

Drusetta

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Bruno Marveggio from City. excellent coach whos actions speaks louder than words. Potential Premier League coach.