Player Pathways

This forum is for the discussion of general coaching topics. Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

FootballNews is not responsible for any of the comments posted in this forum and this forum is moderated.

Moderator: Forum Admins

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Player Pathways

Post by johnydep »

I hope this will be changing soon! I've heard rumours that it may.

Follow the pathway after U13 - U15

Any comments?

rabbit
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rabbit »

Player pathways are ok but there is a host of untapped talent playing at our Clubs that do not get spotted because "there aren't enough people to do the talent spotting" as told to me from an "elite" coach. Therefore the current player pathway DOES NOT identify the best players going around...it only identifies the best nominated players going around. Nothing personal to anyone or organisation in particular but it's just the way it currently is :?

Squizzy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Squizzy »

rabbit wrote:Player pathways are ok but there is a host of untapped talent playing at our Clubs that do not get spotted because "there aren't enough people to do the talent spotting" as told to me from an "elite" coach. Therefore the current player pathway DOES NOT identify the best players going around...it only identifies the best nominated players going around. Nothing personal to anyone or organisation in particular but it's just the way it currently is :?
Well said - could not agree more.

And I too mean no disrespect.
Who?... Who is but a form, followed by the function of what... And what I am, is a man in a mask!

fossil
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by fossil »

Squizzy wrote:
rabbit wrote:Player pathways are ok but there is a host of untapped talent playing at our Clubs that do not get spotted because "there aren't enough people to do the talent spotting" as told to me from an "elite" coach. Therefore the current player pathway DOES NOT identify the best players going around...it only identifies the best nominated players going around. Nothing personal to anyone or organisation in particular but it's just the way it currently is :?

Agree totally with above, for the system to see more of the players then it needs to branch at the academies and development.

By this it would be academies for ages 9-15 one side and development programs for 13-15 and continue into current structure.

I feel this would give the fringe players a better chance and also instead of the 130 players (last year) being dwindled to one side the others (110)have room to go back and continue working on their improvements.

they will never find the other talent if you can't see how a player changes over time, this process could help.

Jeda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Jeda »

:oops:

"Player pathways are ok"......." the current player pathway DOES NOT identify the best players going around"

Sorry, that doesn't work for me :?

I'm new to this. Do SASI & Joeys also play for ffsa clubs :?: From that image it doesn't look like it :?
I do not know which makes a man more conservative—to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past.
- John Maynard Keynes

rabbit
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rabbit »

You can't disect parts of a sentence and join them up....not unless you write for the soccer dept at the Advertiser. :roll:

Jeda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Jeda »

rabbit wrote:You can't disect parts of a sentence and join them up....not unless you write for the soccer dept at the Advertiser. :roll:
Even as a whole it doesn't make sense.

How can player pathways be ok if cubs are left out of theloop :?:
Why should clubs nominate a player if they're never to be seen as a player for the club again :?:
And the excuse - "there aren't enough people to do the talent spotting" is wearing a bit thin :roll: How long does it take to draw up a roster & visit the clubs :oops:

The truth of your statement the "soccer dept at the Advertiser" is the making of unsubstantiated claims :P
I do not know which makes a man more conservative—to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past.
- John Maynard Keynes

rabbit
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rabbit »

You need to read my post again and take it in the context in which it was intended. The concept of player pathways are ok but not perfect. Don't look for an argument when there isn't one there. :roll:

Drusetta
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Drusetta »

I agree with most of the comments so far...

Talent spotting takes time and so far only clubs have been mentioned here. What about school, districts and amateurs games as well? Unfortunately funding raises its head again, because the employment of additional talent scouts will demand payment for their time and resources. Is the FFSA's annual funding budget and annual report available on line for the public to view?

FACT: The FFSA have advised clubs (and followed through) that if any coach wants a player to be "looked at" by the State Officials then all they have to do is ask.
FACT: FFSA talent scouts and state coaches were present at the 2007 State Talent Identification Championshps at Para Hills and were present at the 2007 District State Championships at Seaford. School clinics are run regularly but I'm not sure about amateurs.

I think there is a greater demand for additional development, as stated by other forumites, above and beyond club training but we get back to the demand by players (and parents moreso in some sad cases) being greater than the supply of quality coaches.

The additional challenge for any governing body (eg FFA, FFSA) is to prove to its members (players, coaches) that new methods of coaching will be to the benefit of the player's development. I have seen many narrow minded coaches and parents refuse to accept any other way of coaching, other than their own, is worthwhile. This is a real shame for the up and coming player.
For the Game. For the World.

Drusetta

James
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by James »

There are floors in this sytem in the first stages of identification.

I was involved with an u11 club team in the northern zone last year. Only a limitted number of players from my team(5 off) were allow to be nominated to go out for the zone trials.

There were players selected from other teams in this zone that were not as good (IMO by a long shot) as players in my side that did'nt get to trial (due to this numbers rule).

Players in my side that are not rated in the 'top 5 in the team' will need to wait until the first state squad is selected (@ u13's) before they will even get looked at by a zone coach.
This will mean some players have to wait 3 years before they are identified in the 'elite pathway' system

Drusetta
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Drusetta »

Very good point Malcolm.

The limit of club nomination places in the Zone teams used to be "there was no limit." And likewise with final squad selection. It went from unlimited to 8 to 6 to 5. Unfortunately the FFSA has allowed some coaches to breach these rules allowing more players from one club than the prescribed limit. This is especially unfair for those players who missed out in other zones by coaches who followed the rules. I think the 2007 limit was a maximum of 5 players from the one club for boys teams; girls teams - no limit. If you have an old program have a look.

It's a bit of a double edged sword. Allowing no limit may mean some coaches choose more players from their own with blatant disregard for the quality from other teams. Maybe we should make a rule that doesn't allow the same coach to take the same squad more than once. The true quality players will be consistently identified. Now that only leaves the problem of having more than 5 players from the same club...

Drusetta

James
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by James »

Campbelltown's under 12's this year picked up the u11 eastern zone coach, and most of the eastern zone team. Interesting to see how many players go to zone trials from this team this year.

Drusetta
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Drusetta »

Malcolm McDonald. wrote:Campbelltown's under 12's this year picked up the u11 eastern zone coach, and most of the eastern zone team. Interesting to see how many players go to zone trials from this team this year.
Yes, I know who it is. So how many Campbelltown boys from last year missed out?

Drusetta

Jeda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Jeda »

Malcolm McDonald. wrote:Campbelltown's under 12's this year picked up the u11 eastern zone coach, and most of the eastern zone team. Interesting to see how many players go to zone trials from this team this year.
That will be interesting, wonder if the parents have any idea that their son may miss out :lol: or will there be different rules for different coaches :oops:
- John Maynard Keynes

davidvilla
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by davidvilla »

we should be getting more coaches and scouts to more local league games this season to check out teams in 16s 17s 19s .

Danny Way
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Danny Way »

Interesting scenario. Majority of an eastern zone side follows the coach to a club side no doubt with the ultimate intention of making State Identification again. Regardless of whether the coach gets the zone gig again or not, and assuming the nomination numbers don't change, the majority of those kids won't even get a look in this year i.e 12 transfer over, only 5 are allowed to be nominated therefore 7 will not even get to go to trials this year, let alone make zone team, regardless of how good they are. Wonder if the Parents actually thought it through before letting their kids transfer over. :idea:

Sometimes the shortest path is not the quickest.

fossil
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by fossil »

Danny Way wrote:

Interesting scenario. Majority of an eastern zone side follows the coach to a club side no doubt with the ultimate intention of making State Identification again. Regardless of whether the coach gets the zone gig again or not, and assuming the nomination numbers don't change, the majority of those kids won't even get a look in this year i.e 12 transfer over, only 5 are allowed to be nominated therefore 7 will not even get to go to trials this year, let alone make zone team, regardless of how good they are. Wonder if the Parents actually thought it through before letting their kids transfer over. :idea:
Sometimes the shortest path is not the quickest.
:shock: when they read that

Grouch
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Grouch »

new boot wrote:
Squizzy wrote:

Agree totally with above, for the system to see more of the players then it needs to branch at the academies and development.

By this it would be academies for ages 9-15 one side and development programs for 13-15 and continue into current structure.

I feel this would give the fringe players a better chance and also instead of the 130 players (last year) being dwindled to one side the others (110)have room to go back and continue working on their improvements.

they will never find the other talent if you can't see how a player changes over time, this process could help.
I have to agree with the proposed system suggest by New Boot. This system sounds like the logical solution. The only downfall is they don’t have the coaches to carry out the Academy work. Last year I took my son to the U13 nth trials where the coach had selected 30 kids in to the development training until the FFSA had a fall out with the Southern coach then all of a sudden these 30 kids had to re-trial once again with a group of about 80 kids and from the eighty odd kids only 30 could be selected.
Which had left 50 possible talented kids with no development training that they should possibly of been awarded? So in short if the FFSA want these academy’s to work they must get organised and ensure there is no repeat of the above as it is a piss pour effort.They should have had appointed another coach instead of loosing the future talented football players, and placing the North coach under pressure to reselect players doesn’t entice coaches to run these programs.

fossil
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by fossil »

Grouch wrote:
new boot wrote:
Squizzy wrote:

I have to agree with the proposed system suggest by New Boot. This system sounds like the logical solution. The only downfall is they don’t have the coaches to carry out the Academy work. Last year I took my son to the U13 nth trials where the coach had selected 30 kids in to the development training until the FFSA had a fall out with the Southern coach then all of a sudden these 30 kids had to re-trial once again with a group of about 80 kids and from the eighty odd kids only 30 could be selected.
Which had left 50 possible talented kids with no development training that they should possibly of been awarded? So in short if the FFSA want these academy’s to work they must get organised and ensure there is no repeat of the above as it is a piss pour effort.They should have had appointed another coach instead of loosing the future talented football players, and placing the North coach under pressure to reselect players doesn’t entice coaches to run these programs.
wondered why there were 2 lots of trials and finally to end up with a waste of 30 kids development for at least 1 year or maybe they might even have slipped thru the system.

bet they even missed out on having Rob Bhan have a look at them as well

Barney Rubble
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Re:

Post by Barney Rubble »

rabbit wrote:You need to read my post again and take it in the context in which it was intended. The concept of player pathways are ok but not perfect. Don't look for an argument when there isn't one there. :roll:
See your point bugs :P

er i mean Rabbit :oops:

Judging by these posts there is a life (for the truly dedicated only) after coaching then :clown:

For the love of the game :mrgreen:

harrycripps
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Player Pathways

Post by harrycripps »

"Campbelltown's under 12's this year picked up the u11 eastern zone coach, and most of the eastern zone team. Interesting to see how many players go to zone trials from this team this year".

Wasn't Drago the Western Zone coach? If so whats the issue? If players have followed him, surely its for his coaching ability, not for so called recognition.

Jeda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Jeda »

harrycripps wrote:"Campbelltown's under 12's this year picked up the u11 eastern zone coach, and most of the eastern zone team. Interesting to see how many players go to zone trials from this team this year".

Wasn't Drago the Western Zone coach? If so whats the issue? If players have followed him, surely its for his coaching ability, not for so called recognition.
East, his team were undefeated 8)
- John Maynard Keynes

James
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by James »

harrycripps wrote:"Campbelltown's under 12's this year picked up the u11 eastern zone coach, and most of the eastern zone team. Interesting to see how many players go to zone trials from this team this year".

Harry - Im not making any comment about the fact the players have gone play under Drago. By all accounts he is an excellent coach, especially on the skills development front.

My point is, with so many elite players in one squad, how are they all going to trial/be selected for the zone squad this year considering the ffsa have previously placed a 'player cap' of 5-7(7 with special permission) from one club . Some players will miss out on selection for the wrong reason. So i wasnt having a go at the coach or the players for going there. Obviously players will look for the best coaching.

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

u9/10 Western Academy Coach, AND, u/11 Eastern Zone coach (for zone id championships)

Excellent coach by the way !!!
Spot Željko Jurin Jnr ......