Can you as a (youth) coach be less intrusive

This forum is for the discussion of general coaching topics. Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

FootballNews is not responsible for any of the comments posted in this forum and this forum is moderated.

Moderator: Forum Admins

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Can you as a (youth) coach be less intrusive

Post by johnydep »

John Alpress, National Player Development Coach of the FA wrote:Workshops
The idea for the workshops came directly from research I had undertaken into ‘learning’ and ‘how players’ learn’. I realised there was a lot of new information that could help the coaches of our youngest players and that they should be made aware of it. I did not see my job as ‘telling them what to do’ but rather, raising their awareness of such issues and then letting them make the decisions as to how important this new knowledge was and how they could use it............

Academies
When Academies came along in the mid – nineties some professional clubs [mostly in the Premiership and Nationwide League Division One] made a big commitment to youth development............

Talent
Coaches must understand the players’ needs and how vital the ‘positive learning environment’ is to a player’s development. An environment that allows players the time and the opportunity to practice, repeat and re-visit problems so they know how to make their own decisions and not always rely on the coach. Like Arsene Wenger once said; "In England there is so much talent. I am convinced that at least 20 players at non-league level could have played as well as Thierry Henry in the premiership if they had been exposed to the correct coaching.”
“I think it is easier to spoil your talent than bring it to the top.”
Full PDF here; http://www.mediafire.com/?lsyjzawa7el
Soccer Coaching International wrote:In October 2000 John Allpress left his post with the Ipswich Town Academy to re-join the FA and in January 2002 began a new job as National Player Development Coach – a task that saw him undertake work in England’s Football Academies and Centres of Excellence with coaches and players in the 9 – 16 age range.

The work involved the establishment of an FA Youth Coaches’ Course [Under 11 and 12- 16 modules] which coaches have to attain to work in Academies and Centres of Excellence and a national programme of workshops for the same group. Add to this coaching the England Under 16 team with Head Coach John McDermott and you can get a picture of a pretty full life.