Tottenham Hotspur 08/09 season

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Tottenham Hotspur 08/09 season

Post by King Ledley »

The boys are back!

Our first team squad returned for their first day of pre-season training on Thursday.

Coach Marcos Alvarez put the lads through their paces at Spurs Lodge under the watchful eye of Head Coach Juande Ramos and our new goalkeeping coach, Hans Leitert.

Running and stretching exercises were the order of the day with the hard work of the summer all to come!

Can't wait for this season. Hopefully a successful one where we can finish in the top 5 or 4 and do well again in the Uefa Cup
Tromsø wrote:they've just put the 5th one in and the crowd is now giving it the 'are you arsenal in disguise?'

SILENT P
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Tottenham Hotspur 08/09 season

Post by SILENT P »

Like I said to delfino in the Arsenal topic, who cares!!! They won't win anything :lol: :lol:
STAY ON YOUR FEET

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

Our preseason friendlies are:

Monday the 28th of July against Norwich City away at 19:45 kick off

Wednesday the 30th of July against Leyton Orient away at 19:45 kick off

Feyenoord Jubilee Tournament:

Friday: Tottenham v Celtic at De Kuip stadium at 17:30 kick off

Sunday : Tottenham v De Kuip at De Kuip stadium at 16:45 kick off

Sunday the 10th of August against AS Roma at WHL at 15:00 kick off
Tromsø wrote:they've just put the 5th one in and the crowd is now giving it the 'are you arsenal in disguise?'

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

SILENT P wrote:Like I said to delfino in the Arsenal topic, who cares!!! They won't win anything :lol: :lol:
Stop ruining our topics Silent P!!!

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

BTW for the people that care and are interested post News and honest opinions about the club...please don't post bs (I'm looking at Northside, Delfino, 2 Pires's, Skirlo, Gooders, ManU4life etc)

I'll do my best to keep up with the latest news

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

I'll start with a good piece of news from 3 weeks ago
Lazio striker Goran Pandev rejected a multi million pound move to Spurs and will remain in the Italian capital until his contract finishes in 2010. While Lazio do not have anywhere near the funds available compared to some sides in the Coca Cola Championship, they have actually managed to crack the top four in recent times and Pandev acknowledges that staying in Serie A will benefit his development as a footballer.

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

Il Duce wrote:I'll start with a good piece of news from 3 weeks ago
Lazio striker Goran Pandev rejected a multi million pound move to Spurs and will remain in the Italian capital until his contract finishes in 2010. While Lazio do not have anywhere near the funds available compared to some sides in the Coca Cola Championship, they have actually managed to crack the top four in recent times and Pandev acknowledges that staying in Serie A will benefit his development as a footballer.
Good start, thanks bud

ramosrules
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by ramosrules »

First team coach Marcos Alvarez gives us the inside track on this summer's pre-season training programme with a diary running until the big kick-off in August.

Marcos will tell us what's going on with regular updates explaining the gradual increase in training levels as our Premier League opener at Middlesbrough on August 16 approaches.

Day 1, July 3

"THE FIRST day back is the introduction to the new season and we are just looking for a light session to get back into training," reported Marcos.

"The great thing for us is that the players have been away for 50 days but they have all returned in good shape. It's important because if they came back out if shape, we would have to change the training.

"We stay together as a big group. If we had players with different states of fitness we would have to split the group but we can all train together and give all the players the same work.

"We will increase the pace of training on Friday and after that we have fitness and medical tests, dividing the group into two. The fitness tests include speed tests and jump tests. Then on Sunday, we'll start to train harder.

I personally feel the players will be better prepared than any other team this year, a combination of 1. Being so poor last year (losing so many points after leading) and 2. Seville were always super fit. Ramos even went so far as humiliating the players last year about thier diets (no lasagne jokes needed) and wieght (gave Thudd a verbal flogging , publically).
As for transfers, how do you fellas feel about Keane? i hope he stays but if he goes i want them to get the cash and not Crouch plus cash. I also read somewhere that some representative of Pavlyachenko has said that one English team has bid for him and that that team were not involved in the champions league.......
"IT LOOKS LIKE HODDLE HAS FOUND GOD, THAT MUST HAVE BEEN ONE HELL OF A PASS"

ramosrules
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by ramosrules »

Im pretty sure that in Spain the done thing is to give the teams pre season run down daily, maybe some Spaniard can confirm? if so, it will be pretty cool reading what sort of things the players will be doing each day for preseason.
Also, its great to see Bale out there, he will be HUGE this year.
"IT LOOKS LIKE HODDLE HAS FOUND GOD, THAT MUST HAVE BEEN ONE HELL OF A PASS"

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

Ressies get ready

As our young professionals return for pre-season training, development coach Clive Allen runs the rule over their performances for the reserves last term and gives us his hopes for them for the coming season.

The group ended their Barclays Reserve League South campaign with just one defeat in seven games, a run that included a win over eventual champions Aston Villa and draws against high-flying Arsenal and Reading.

"The average age of the side last season was young," reflected Clive. "It's a young group anyway that we're bringing through and they are developing.

"It will take time, there will be blips along the way but they are keen, enthusiastic and we're making progress. One thing is for sure, the experience they've all had last season will stand them in good stead next time around."

Here are Clive's thoughts on the squad...

Troy Archibald-Henville (14 starts, 1 sub, 2 goals) - Troy had a good season, pushed to get into the first team squad and matured over the season with playing games regularly, which was important for him. He's fitter and stronger and we'll be looking for further progress. He captained the side and took that challenge on well.

David Button (6 starts) - Went off to Grays on loan and played some competitive games, Justin Edinburgh is manager there and he was pleased with him. He acquitted himself well at the end of the season, talked well and that came from going out on loan. He's growing in stature, a great size, physically still developing and mentally very tough.

Simon Dawkins (13 starts, 1 sub, 2 goals) - He was frustrated by injury and that upset his rhythm. He had chances, didn't score the goals he wanted to and knows he needs to improve on his ratio of goals to chances. I'm sure he will.

Dorian Dervite (7 starts, 2 subs, pictured below) - We had to be careful in terms of bringing him back from a serious knee injury, he worked very hard, showed great character to get fit again and played nine games. His confidence is growing again and it's ideal he played those games before the end of the season.

Tommy Forecast (7 starts) - Always consistent, had to be patient as is the case with the goalkeepers. Gained experience with the first team at the end of last season and that will stand him in good stead.

Kyle Fraser-Allen (5 starts, 2 subs) - Very enthusiastic, sharp, quick and progressed as much as anyone coming out of the Academy last season, will be looking to progress.

Cian Hughton (13 starts, 1 sub) - Still developing and working hard at all aspects of his game. His level of consistency was very good over the season and deserved his new contract.

Danny Hutchins (1 start, 6 subs) - Intelligent passer of the ball, reads the game well, a good footballer who works hard at his game. Moves up to the reserve team squad from the Academy and will be a valuable member.

David Hutton (6 starts, 4 subs, 1 goal, pictured below) - Had spells last season when he showed exactly what he's capable of. Finished the season strongly - a sharp, bright player.

Jake Livermore (12 starts, 2 goals) - Showed he's physically strong and capable at reserve level, went on loan to MK Dons, a team on the up and thoroughly enjoyed that experience. I know they were pleased with him and he wasn't out of his depth at that level. Can now build on it.

Jacques Maghoma (9 starts, 1 goal) - Frustrating season broken up by injuries and therefore lacked consistency. He has developed physically and hopefully will come on for that next season.

Kieran McKenna (3 starts) - Kieran has been sadly missed because of his injuries and knowing him, he'll work hard to get back and I'm sure we'll see him back next season.

Leigh Mills (6 starts) - Struggled with an ankle injury and that resulted in surgery, he's now stronger and will go on loan to Brentford next season. I know he will be determined to do well.

Takura Mtandari (2 starts, 7 subs) - Did well when we played him in a different central midfield role, he's versatile and did well in games when we needed that solid base, showed good discipline.

Tomas Pekhart
(13 starts, 5 goals, pictured below) - A goalscorer and typically big, tall, centre-forward who has worked hard on his game and is looking to develop. Has done well internationally as well and you can't underestimate that.

Danny Rose (9 starts, 1 sub, 1 goal) - Found it tough initially because of injury but overcame that and we saw impressive displays at the end of the season. An aggressive midfielder who wants to drive forward into the opposition penalty box and make things happen.

Loanees - Charlie Daniels thoroughly enjoyed it at Orient, he found it tough but the reports back were that he did well. He was heavily involved as they went to the top of the league in the first part of the season. Andy Barcham joined him later and had that experience of playing regularly in League One. It was a fantastic experience for them, very beneficial.

The players i put in bold are players i rate highly and believe can make it into the first team.

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

Yuri Berchiche

Spanish defender made a fine start to his Spurs career in August, 2007 when he was named Player of the Tournament in our Eurofoot success in Belgium.

Signed from Athletic Bilbao in the summer of 2007, Yuri made 20 appearances for our Under-18s in 2007-08, including two starts in the FA Youth Cup.

He also stepped up for two reserve appearances.

Born in Resideus, Yuri has represented Spain at both Under-17 and Under-18 levels.

Also reckon Yuri can make it big. He's got a good work rate, he's aggressive and he's tackling is good

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

ramosrules wrote:First team coach Marcos Alvarez gives us the inside track on this summer's pre-season training programme with a diary running until the big kick-off in August.

Marcos will tell us what's going on with regular updates explaining the gradual increase in training levels as our Premier League opener at Middlesbrough on August 16 approaches.

Day 1, July 3

"THE FIRST day back is the introduction to the new season and we are just looking for a light session to get back into training," reported Marcos.

"The great thing for us is that the players have been away for 50 days but they have all returned in good shape. It's important because if they came back out if shape, we would have to change the training.

"We stay together as a big group. If we had players with different states of fitness we would have to split the group but we can all train together and give all the players the same work.

"We will increase the pace of training on Friday and after that we have fitness and medical tests, dividing the group into two. The fitness tests include speed tests and jump tests. Then on Sunday, we'll start to train harder.

I personally feel the players will be better prepared than any other team this year, a combination of 1. Being so poor last year (losing so many points after leading) and 2. Seville were always super fit. Ramos even went so far as humiliating the players last year about thier diets (no lasagne jokes needed) and wieght (gave Thudd a verbal flogging , publically).
As for transfers, how do you fellas feel about Keane? i hope he stays but if he goes i want them to get the cash and not Crouch plus cash. I also read somewhere that some representative of Pavlyachenko has said that one English team has bid for him and that that team were not involved in the champions league.......
I hope Keane doesn't leave but if he wants to go there's no point keeping him. I wouldn't mind Crouch, i rate him also but really don't want Keane to leave. As for Pavlyachenko well he looked good in Euro, if we signed him that would be great

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

Current squad:

GK Paul Robinson
DF Pascal Chimbonda
DF Lee Young-Pyo
MF Didier Zokora
DF Younes Kaboul
MF Teemu Tainio
DF Paul Stalteri
MF Jermaine Jenas
FW Dimitar Berbatov
FW Robbie Keane (Vice- captain)
DF Gilberto MF Hossam Ghaly
MF Steed Malbranque
DF Gareth Bale
MF Kevin-Prince Boateng
MF Adel Taarabt

DF Michael Dawson
MF Tom Huddlestone
FW Darren Bent
MF Jamie O'Hara
MF Aaron Lennon
DF Ledley King (captain)
GK Ben Alnwick
DF Alan Hutton
DF Anthony Gardner
DF Benoît Assou-Ekotto
DF Ricardo Rocha
DF Jonathan Woodgate
DF Chris Gunter
MF Giovani dos Santos
MF Luka Modric

Players are in shirt number order. Modric and Dos Santos have not been issued numbers yet hence why there at the bottom of the list
Last edited by King Ledley on Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ForzaChievo
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by ForzaChievo »

Waiting for delfino to enter the thread.....

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

Current management team

Director of Football - Damien Comolli
Head Coach - Juande Ramos
First-Team Coach - Gus Poyet
First-Team Coach - Marcos Álvarez
Development Coach - Clive Allen
Goalkeeping Coach - Hans Leitert Pat Jennings
Youth Coach - Alex Inglethorpe

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

north_side94 wrote:Waiting for delfino to enter the thread.....
You shouldn't...i didn't ruin his thread, he better not ruin mine or he'll know about it tomorrow :wink:

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

King Ledley wrote:
You shouldn't...i didn't ruin his thread, he better not ruin mine or he'll know about it tomorrow :wink:
i was the one that ruined his thread

arsenal is a club for shitkickers

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

Sunderland and Tottenham still discussing Bent terms

No fee has yet been agreed between Sunderland and Tottenham Hotspur for striker Darren Bent.

Although some media reports on Tuesday claimed that Bent was on Wearside discussing personal terms with Sunderland about a proposed £10million transfer from Spurs, The Independent has since confirmed that that no price for Bent has yet been agreed between the two clubs.

However, while Sunderland have been closely linked with a move for Bent, boss Roy Keane is understood to be considering a number of striking options, and no deal is imminent.

Aston Villa and Celtic are also said to be interested in the player, whose wages of reportedly £65,000 a week at White Hart Lane, could prove an obstacle in any negotiations.

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

Tottenham offloading Boateng to Stuttgart

Stuttgart are hoping to sign Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng on loan.[/b]

Boateng joined Spurs last summer from Hertha Berlin, but has been unable to establish himself as a first-team regular.

He has made 21 appearances for the club, but is being offered a return to the Bundesliga for next season.

Reports in Germany claim Borussia Dortmund and Stuttgart have shown an interest, with the 21-year-old's preference to join the latter.

His agent Jorg Neubauer told Stuttgarter Nachrichten: "Kevin has decided on Stuttgart, now the two clubs have to agree."

Stuttgart's general manager Horst Heldt has confirmed the club are looking to settle on a deal for the former Young Player of the Year.

Heldt told Bild: "Boateng is a very interesting player. We are in talks."

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

Villa hoping to close deal for Spurs keeper Robinson

Tottenham goalkeeper Paul Robinson hopes to complete his move to Aston Villa before the weekend.

The Mirror says Villa boss Martin O'Neill hopes to secure a £5million deal for Spurs reject Robinson in the next 48 hours.

O'Neill plans talks with the England keeper over a proposed switch to Villa Park.

Robinson has made it clear he sees the move as the way to kick-start his international career after falling out of favour with manager Juande Ramos at White Hart Lane and not playing in the first team since March.
Last edited by King Ledley on Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

Spurs won't give up on Capel

Tottenham refuse to give up landing Sevilla winger Diego Capel.

The Daily Mail says Spurs are expected to make an improved offer for Capel after their original £12.5m bid was turned down.

Juande Ramos is desperate to strengthen his squad during the summer and is keen to bring the 20-year old to White Hart Lane.

Ramos worked with Capel when he was coach at Sevilla and believes he could become a major star in the Premier League.

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

Tottenham target Paraguayan centre-back Cabrera

Cerro Porteno general manager Bernardo Balbuena has told setantasports.com that Tottenham are negotiating the transfer of centre back Nelson Cabrera.

The director has revealed that his team's captain Cabrera has been observed by Spurs, whose representatives made the trip to South America in order to start discussing a move last Sunday.

"We're discussing a transfer with Spurs and the deal is not concrete yet," Balbuena told setantasports.com. "They came on Sunday, along with an Argentinian agent, to start to negotiate for the player.

"We are ready to sell him, but I can't tell you how much Cabrera is rated at. I know Tottenham are an important and big club so they have the means to invest.

"It would be a massive step for the player, and this could open doors to our club. It is not about a partnership between both clubs, just discussions regarding the transfer of one single player.

"To my mind an agreement could be reached, or not, during this week. There's another offer, from a Mexican club who are playing in the top flight."

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

Spurs make contact with Espanyol striker Garcia

Tottenham have made a move for Espanyol striker Luis Garcia.

El Mundo Deportivo says Spurs have made contact with Garcia's agent, Julio Prieto, and are willing to pay £9 million for the centre-forward. Garcia's buyout clause is £18 million.

The Spanish centre-forward could move to White Hart Lane as a replacement for unsettled striker Dimitar Berbatov.

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

Spurs slap £20M price-tag on Liverpool target Keane

Tottenham want £20 million for want-away striker Robbie Keane.

The Sun says Anfield boss Rafa Benitez is prepared to offer Spurs striker Peter Crouch PLUS £5million cash for the Republic of Ireland international.

Keane's declaration will dismay Spurs chief Juande Ramos but the Spaniard will fight tooth and nail to keep his influential skipper.

And the North Londoners insist the player-plus-cash offer falls far short of their £20m valuation for the striker, 27.

ForzaChievo
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by ForzaChievo »

This is how shiraz English football is, it is seriously wrecking the transfer market.

20 million for Keane :lol:

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

north_side94 wrote:This is how shiraz English football is, it is seriously wrecking the transfer market.

20 million for Keane :lol:

If you didn't want to sell a player wouldn't you ask for a figure you didn't expect the buying team to pay? Thats what i think were doing

pires7
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by pires7 »

The big names should stay for one more season. This is the true chance for Spurs to finish in the top 4, manager and squad in place, and go well in UEFA cup.

Will Berba and Modric clash! Berba revels in the fact he is the best player in the side, maybe not any more!

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

King Ledley wrote:
OH I AM HERE!!! ;)

nah ledley sorry some other scum spuds ruined ours so i'm gonna say this!!!!

WE HATE TOTTENHAM AND WE HATE TOTTENHAM
WE ARE TOTTENHAM HATERS!!!

that's just a bit of pay back.

now shiraz off out of my thread, otherwise if i do come back it won't be productive!!!

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

Rambo1 wrote: You wish your fans would sing. your grounds a library. the spurs boys run riot over it everytime we attend the library.

COYS
ITS SO QUIET AT THE LANE!!!!

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

delfino_1936 wrote:
Rambo1 wrote: You wish your fans would sing. your grounds a library. the spurs boys run riot over it everytime we attend the library.

COYS
ITS SO QUIET AT THE LANE!!!!
stfu