Cannon 400D

Forum for the discussion of music, video and photography related topics

Moderators: adam, Forum Admins

supporter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Cannon 400D

Post by supporter »

I have just brought the Cannon 400D. It's a good camera and I have the 75 - 300mm Lens. I am learning how to take sporting pics at the moment, unfortunatly, most are crap, but I have managed a few decent ones too. Here a a couple.

[attachment=1]Ben2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]20.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
20.jpg
20.jpg (183.85 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
Ben2.jpg
Ben2.jpg (210.27 KiB) Viewed 1883 times

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Cannon 400D

Post by adam »

excellent... you will do fine... decent setup as well... just a matter of getting your settings correct to get the required shutter speed that you are after... i would recommend that you shoot in AV mode and then adjust the f-stop to get what you want... set your ISO to minimum of 400 for sports shooting and see how you go...

your example shots are nice and sharp...

supporter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by supporter »

cheers for that, at the moment im shooting in auto just so i can get use to the feel of the camera as im only use to the little digital one i have. I will try the manual settings when i get more confidence.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Another trick is to switch to a single central focus point. Otherwise in the heat of the moment the camera will tend to average the auto focus between the different focus points - net result is the image is not as sharp as it could be. If you go to a single central focus you will get a very sharp shot most of the time and an occasional very unsharp shot (focussed on the background).

I still use auto focus 99% of the time - I occasionally switch to manual focus for situations like corners.

Is anyone using manual focus all the time?

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

By the way they are great shots.

Keep showing around your photos and getting feedback from others - its the best way to improve. You will find fellow photographers are very happy to give advice to others.

If you feel comfortable uploading your photos into the local league gallery then let me know and we will add you as another contributor. As a guide to quality for the gallery - the photos you have uploaded in this forum are certainly suitable.

supporter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by supporter »

thanks, tips from other photographers will be appreciated, and if i think any of my shots are good enough for the gallery i'll let you know.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

supporter wrote:thanks, tips from other photographers will be appreciated, and if i think any of my shots are good enough for the gallery i'll let you know.
On the photos you have here I think you should be giving me tips!!