mclaren to perth

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

bennylava
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

mclaren to perth

Post by bennylava »

bartnett is an idiot for this one imo

John Cena
Star Player
Star Player

Re: mclaren to perth

Post by John Cena »

this is only the start...a few players that didnt make it have already been contacted my interstate teams

bennylava
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by bennylava »

But Mclaren made the squad?

Bartnett chose to go with his 26(?) year old injury prone has-been goalkeeper, who is probably on par ability wise with macca, 17 years old, a promising player with the potential to be the best goalkeeper in the country in a few years.

perth coach, stajcic, sermanni, kevmac all said play macca...he chose to ignore and just lost one of his top players

idiocy.

P.S will have no talk of "Don't bash our players etc etc."...

courtz
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by courtz »

I am usually the one with the "Dont bag our players etc" but you are 100% correct benny! Macca is clearly the best keeper, closely followed by K Harvey so i dont know why emma had a sniff of it due to injury, nothign against emma she has had an unfortunate run.

Its understood that Emma was due for a go in goals, but probs not after 2 wins for consistencies sake, or the fact shes fresh back from injury and most likely out of form. Macca to perth is a MASSIVE loss for AUWFC and i doubt if they can make up such ground this season. Hopefully K Harvey is starting XI.

Joe Bloggs
In Memory of Dylan Tombides

Post by Joe Bloggs »

So you actually were happy with macca's performance against Sydney? Both goals were poor on her part & should have been avoided, really showed she still has a lot to learn. Maybe by going to Perth she gets to play every week & decide if she has the passion to go further in the game. Yes your right all the coaches say she's got potential, BUT they also all say her training is poor & lazy.

bennylava
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by bennylava »

Are you being serious?

first goal was a pass back that
- didnt go the distance to macca
and
- didnt go to her, it went in another direction.

she also chased it back and was a fraction from saving it with a class dive.

free kick was a goal that emma wouldn'tve saved, harvey wouldntve saved, barbieri wouldntve saved

would be surprised if birighitti woulddaa saved it.

bennylava
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by bennylava »

i also think that signing for perth and leaving her friends for new teammates and a new coach shows she has a passion to go further

next!

Joe Bloggs

Post by Joe Bloggs »

Thats great if she has the passion to prove she's the best. At least they are giving her the opportunity to do that instead sitting on the bench.

gubs
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by gubs »

Well this forum is for opinions so im gonna have mine.

I honestly think this is a poor decision for everyone involved. Macca is young and needs to be in an environment where she is learning. She is still very raw and has much to learn. Playing for Adelaide would have given her this opportunity. I believe Emma is worthy of number 1 keeper despite her injury troubles, she is worth the risk. Macca going to Perth is going to put her under a lot of pressure to perform quickly. I dont know if she is up for it in terms of reading the play and communicating with a defence which is clearly not the best in Australia.

In 2005 I was in the best form I had ever been in. I was not going to be given a game playing for Adelaide so I was drafted to Canberra as back up to Lydia Williams. This was the biggest challenge of my playing career. I had a few days to settle into a team I knew nothing about and damn it was hard. I enjoyed my time but was slaughtered. Im not in any way comparing myself to Macca but I can give insight into how hard it is.

This is a loss for Adelaide as we have supposedly seen the last of McLaren in Adelaide colours for good. I would've liked for her to stay here and continue training and then if still no opportunity arose then to look elsewhere, but obviously things have panned out differently

My opinion only

bennylava
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by bennylava »

she will still train in adelaide and work with Beltrame, much like tokich trains with canberra and amorim trains with qld roar.

im also pretty sure its a loan deal at this stage. macca will prolly be given contract offers by both adelaide and perth next season providing she is still playing good football..

means more $$ for her probs

The Beaut Game
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by The Beaut Game »

Good analysis Gubbo

Good luck Macca.
Its a Beautiful Things

courtz
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by courtz »

Il express again how bad it is that adelaide have lost macca... Not saying we r screwed coz i think leps is fantastic! but, we lost stacey day to newcastle early this year, and now macca to perth... people say we dont have home grown talent, well we do we just let them slip through stupid mistakes!

great post gubs and goodluck maccy!

shorty
Star Player
Star Player

Post by shorty »

personally i think leppa is on an even par with macca...

i dont tihnk everyone on this forum should be bagging mike - why should macca stay if she isnt getting a game??? i would also leave...
we train 3 times a week - if you dont perform at training you simply DONT play - wake up to yourselves on this forum and come and watch a training session and you may see that not everything is in black and white.....

those coaches can tell mike until their blue in the face to play macca - but they are simply not getting paid to coach adelaide united - MIKE IS... therefore HE makes the final decision - NOT other coaches.............................................

on a birghter note - it opens the door for someone else to be contracted...
ShOrTy!
"float like a butterfly, sting like a bee!
Reborn...
מה שהולך בסביבות בא בסביבות

bennylava
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by bennylava »

he plays his third goalie in 4 matches and it surprisingly results in a thrashing by the bottom team who were yet to, not only win but record a decent performance

but ok we shouldnt bag him

shorty
Star Player
Star Player

Post by shorty »

it wasnt our day - not all loss' reflect the gk performance...............

last time i checked it was a team sport - how do you know that macca would have saved all 3 goals??
1 was a cracker from 30 yards out that hit the crossbar adn went in - another was one on one and the last was an own goal - so i wouldnt say they are easy goals.. but ur the professional here clearly....
ShOrTy!
Reborn...

bennylava
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by bennylava »

im not blming the goalie

it is a team sport aand you are a fresh team

what im saying is barnett is doing nothing to establish a consistent team mentality amonsgt a brand new team with this constant rotation of the goalie

shorty
Star Player
Star Player

Post by shorty »

daniel beltrame makes 99% of the decision - he is our gk coach....

every coach has reasons for decisions - feel free to give him a call..
ShOrTy!
Reborn...

bennylava
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by bennylava »

im not going to give him a call. once again its a discussion of a professional football team that i happily devote my time and money too and i reserve my right to criticize them when i think theyre doing something stupid.

from where i sit as a fan, we were in great form, we then lost 3-0 to the bottom team and then lost one of our star players

the naturaal response is wtf...and seeing as the team are playing well, the coaching is to blame

shorty
Star Player
Star Player

Post by shorty »

nothing went right on saturday - whether or not macca was in goals the outcome would have stayed the same - TRUST ME!!
ShOrTy!
Reborn...

bennylava
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by bennylava »

yes im not arguing for macca or against emma for the third time, im saaying continuaally disrupting the team by changing goalies doesnt help with building a chemistry for a team everyone said not to expect too much from because "the girls have only been playing against each other for a few weeks"

that surely mustve contributed to the loss

shorty
Star Player
Star Player

Post by shorty »

macca is still learning..

i dont tihnk changing the keeper has anything to do with it...

obviously in the usa vs brazil game in the world cup when they changed hope solo who hadnt conceeded a goal in the tournament was a shock but not in the w league when we have conceeded silly "TEAM" goals.....
ShOrTy!
Reborn...

bennylava
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by bennylava »

shorty wrote:macca is still learning..
yes, and all those people say she'll be one of the nations top goalies when shes a bit older, so regardless of whether shes better than emma or not now, given the gap in ability isnt that huge wouldnt it be sensible to keep her

consider arsenal FC...
had 38 year old Lehmann wanting the games, who was slightly better then the 20 year old Fabianski, who wanted to be in the first team. regardless of lehmann being better at the time, fabianski wouldve been better in 1/2 years, at which point he wouldve been 22, 18 years younger than lehmann.

obviously arsenal gave the team spot to the younger keeper.

what im saying is, given the facts, and providing things stay the same
- emma isnt THAT much better then macca but
- emma is 8 years older than mclaren, with no real signs of re reaching her peak which
- macca hasnt reached yet, and is touted by many as potentially the best keeper in aus in a few years

so wouldnt the sensible thing have been to keep macca?
shorty wrote: i dont tihnk changing the keeper has anything to do with it...
well, i do

BillShankly
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BillShankly »

shame to see macca go

leaves a hole in goals definately.

bennylava
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by bennylava »

bennylava wrote:
shorty wrote: i dont tihnk changing the keeper has anything to do with it...
well, i do
i mean by this..a team were settling into their shape and getting into form...with leps OR macca playing, a bit more structure wouldve surely been seen

shorty
Star Player
Star Player

Post by shorty »

im not saying macca is a bad gk - but im saying why wouldnt she go if she can be a starter????

why does EVERYONE always have to critisize players when they look outside the square and go elsewhere?

what about when gubbo, trimboli, swaffa etc went elsewhere - ppl still werent happy...
ShOrTy!
Reborn...

bennylava
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by bennylava »

shorty wrote:im not saying macca is a bad gk - but im saying why wouldnt she go if she can be a starter????

why does EVERYONE always have to critisize players when they look outside the square and go elsewhere?

what about when gubbo, trimboli, swaffa etc went elsewhere - ppl still werent happy...
what are you reading by the way?

im stoked for macca, so happy to be honest...im criticizing auwfc for not starting her and effectivley letting her go...and noone implied you thought she was bad

noone has criticized her moving from what i can read

shorty
Star Player
Star Player

Post by shorty »

no obviously it didnt come across right...

i mean its not that ur unhappy with macca everyone now has a prob with aufc for not keeping her - why keep her if she has a starting position somewhere else.??
ShOrTy!
Reborn...

bennylava
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by bennylava »

yeh i see...

well my position throughout the thread has been why not give her the starting position at aufc?

the w-league isnt the right venue for emma to get her form back...she shouldda played premier league next season (i wonder if she will?) to get back form....in a 10 game season, can we afford to gamble on emma when we know both leps aand macca are playing good football

within reason, you could say tht if something isnt broken dont fix it, and nothing is wrong with the macca and leps

deyy
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by deyy »

I think its a good move for macca personally. So far in the tournament alot of the play seems to be around perths goal mouth so macca is going to have a bit to do therefor she is going to learn alot more. And going into a new team u always step up to the next level to prove ur good enough to ur team mates. All i say is goodluck to her. Maybe the change will do her good.

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by adam »

people are too close to people to comment without some form of bias... rock and hard place... also i think contracted players should shut up as well... i don't want to know what you think...

good luck emma... good luck macca...