Federal Government's $45 million gift to FFA. (adelaide)

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

TOPGUNJIMMYAUFC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Federal Government's $45 million gift to FFA. (adelaide)

Post by TOPGUNJIMMYAUFC »

MICHAEL McGUIRE
December 10, 2008 12:30am
AUSTRALIA'S bid for the 2018 World Cup has been boosted by a $45.6 million gift to Football Federation Australia from the Federal Government.

An announcement to be made today in Sydney by FFA chief executive Ben Buckley and Sport Minister Kate Ellis will confirm the amount, which will be paid over three years. Federal Cabinet confirmed the funding last Friday and it is believed to be close to what FFA had been asking.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said the funding "sends a clear message to the football world that Australia is serious about hosting the 2018 FIFA World Cup".

"Hosting the FIFA World Cup will bring significant economic benefit to Australia and boost tourism, infrastructure and jobs around the country," Rudd said. But South Australia is not guaranteed to be part of the bid process after Adelaide was omitted from a list of potential host cities.

"Australia has an exemplary record in hosting international sporting events, having held the Olympic Games twice and Commonwealth/Empire Games four times," he said.

"Our sporting infrastructure is also world class, with venues such as Melbourne's iconic MCG and Telstra Dome, Sydney's ANZ Stadium and Football Stadium and Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium matching the world's best."

Buckley has previously warned Adelaide "is in danger of missing out on major Socceroos games and other major sporting events because it does not have a modern, first-class, multi-purpose venue in the order of 50,000 to 60,000 seats which can host those sort of matches".

FFA is expected to shortly release an infrastructure report detailing the strengths and weaknesses of Australian cities and their stadiums.

While the report is expected to find most stadiums have areas of improvement, Adelaide's AAMI Stadium is thought to be in most need of renovation.

Premier Mike Rann has previously stated the State Government's $100 million grant towards improving AAMI would be enough to upgrade the stadium to an acceptable standard.

FFA declined to comment on the new Federal Government funding yesterday but it is expected the money will be directed towards staffing the bid, operating expenses, marketing and advertising and infrastructure planning.

FFA is expected to lodge its official bid by the end of 2010, with FIFA expected to make a decision in 2011. South Africa will host the world's biggest sporting event in 2010 and Brazil will follow in 2014.

Competition for the 2018 event is likely to come from England, the Netherlands, Russia, Spain and the United States.
RADIO LALASEMENO
http://www.lalasemeno.gr

this has just changed my life............above link

dont use my name..

What has 100 legs & 4 teeth? The front row of the Collingwood cheer squad

marcNRG
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Federal Government's $45 million gift to FFA. (adelaide)

Post by marcNRG »

Im putting my money on Spain for 2018 & Aus will get in 2022

marcNRG
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by marcNRG »

Australia can win the 2018 World Cup bid, but a lot needs to go right.

IT IS a big ask — everybody knows that — but the prize is even bigger.

The funding announced in Canberra — $45.6 million amid a global financial crisis — must convince 13 of the FIFA executive's 24 members to part with their votes.

Some wonder whether it is being spent on a long shot with little chance of success. Already, it has cost a 2018 Commonwealth Games bid for Perth or Brisbane. Already, too, it has underlined soccer's new position as the code that can command political patronage and capture contested dollars.

The naysayers have it that after consecutive southern hemisphere World Cups in South Africa and Brazil, the event will certainly head back to Europe — the sport's traditional power base — for 2018.

It ain't necessarily so.

To get there, though, everything has to go right.

While conventional wisdom has it that the European heavyweights will bully the votes, Football Federation Australia is hoping to take advantage of infighting.

European television money dominates the sport but only nine votes on the executive are Europe's. If England, Russia and Spain — each immeasurably more powerful than Australia — cannot decide which is best placed to land the event, European votes will split.

Then it comes down to numbers.

What can we offer the South Americans for their four votes?

Will Oceania and its one vote be swayed by our promise to look out for them in future?

What skills, facilities and programs do we have that Africa (four votes) might benefit from? And what could persuade the three North American delegates?

While most TV money comes from Europe, most actual viewers for the next World Cup will be in Asia — Australia's confederation.

Asian power is growing. If Australia is to have any chance it must convince Asian soccer to unite behind it. Rival bids are supposedly brewing in China and Qatar.

China is the main worry. The game there is in turmoil, but the transformative power of a World Cup in the world's largest unconquered market could be a powerful lure.

Whatever happens, taxpayers' money will be lavished upon well-travelled delegates as a lobbying offensive begins — mostly in secret.

FFA believes that for the bid to have any chance Australia must appear united and enthusiastic. FIFA delegates can sniff disunity even better than they can sense a free lunch.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/soc ... 40611.html

diegom
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by diegom »

if it means upgrading AAMI stadium, then GO GET FA.KED!
I dont want to give those sniffly nosed chardonay tossers at SANFL/AAMI any more money.

we need our own stadium in the city which can be houised by AU, sasi, ffsa, athletics sa.

aami and aussie rules can FA.RK OFFF!

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

diegom wrote:if it means upgrading AAMI stadium, then GO GET FA.KED!
I dont want to give those sniffly nosed chardonay tossers at SANFL/AAMI any more money.

we need our own stadium in the city which can be houised by AU, sasi, ffsa, athletics sa.

Fair enough - plus would the AFL stop playing for a month to accomodate a World Cup? Best have different stadia, so they can all play happily at the same time, so we can for once, overtake the limelight. Question is, would the AFL risk it? All hypothetical, I know.
Ignore this signature

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

Bomber wrote:Fair enough - plus would the AFL stop playing for a month to accomodate a World Cup? Best have different stadia, so they can all play happily at the same time, so we can for once, overtake the limelight. Question is, would the AFL risk it? All hypothetical, I know.
Haven't the 3 sub standard codes all come out and announced that they would if australia got the WC. I thought this happened about a fortnight ago.
Things I am owed because they're too tight to pay up:

Colossus: One House

Costa: One Lunch

Oh and add in

Colossus: one photo and one letter from his "attorney".

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

marcNRG wrote:European television money dominates the sport but only nine votes on the executive are Europe's. If England, Russia and Spain — each immeasurably more powerful than Australia — cannot decide which is best placed to land the event, European votes will split.
It will go to spain or England. UEFA may be split, but at most 2 will go for it England and Spain. If i have the voting procedures correct, it's the same as the Olympics that the bottom team drops out each time, unless someone gets 51% of the votes. This would mean that as soon as Spain was gone, Europe would unite behind England.

My money is definitely on Spain or England to host 2018.

Oh and add in

Aldo Serena
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Aldo Serena »

Agreed it will go back to Europe in 2018.

MSSC Blue Eagles
2011 Division 3 Champions

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Hawkesy wrote:
Bomber wrote:Fair enough - plus would the AFL stop playing for a month to accomodate a World Cup? Best have different stadia, so they can all play happily at the same time, so we can for once, overtake the limelight. Question is, would the AFL risk it? All hypothetical, I know.
Haven't the 3 sub standard codes all come out and announced that they would if australia got the WC. I thought this happened about a fortnight ago.
True - my post was more of a hypothetical. I reckon they would be reluctant to go head to head anyway as they wouldnt like playing second fiddle to our great game anyway.
Ignore this signature

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

while its good

what exactly is 45million going to do?

i dont think thats near enough to do anything useful

Juvefan 08
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Juvefan 08 »

Bomber wrote:
diegom wrote:if it means upgrading AAMI stadium, then GO GET FA.KED!

Fair enough - plus would the AFL stop playing for a month to accomodate a World Cup? Best have different stadia, so they can all play happily at the same time, so we can for once, overtake the limelight. Question is, would the AFL risk it? All hypothetical, I know.
they already said they would delay there seasons if we were to hold it

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

2020 is a much more likely chance of success.

By then Football should be in a much more powerful position to host the event without using other codes' venues.

Adelaide will probably have had a Liberal government in for at least one full term before the bid process starts and will have a PURPOSE BUILT covered stadium that is able to be configured for a variety of sports - Football, Rugby, Athletics, etc.

AFL and Cricket will have shot themselves in the foot long before then due to their arrogance and selfishness.

They are incompatible with any sports except each other and will have pissed off all the other sports by then.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Googes
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Googes »

The main codes that will not stop is afl and nrl.

These two codes have other stadiums like adelaide oval, tassie, darwin, wacca, gabba, gold coast, camberra, and country areas to promote the game (mainly rugby league) even play in other countries. Examples south africa afl where there is a huge numbers of growth in that area. Nrl can play PNG and the island countries as well. For union they play there test matches instead of regular season matches at that point anyway.

This would help tourism as well where people can watch other codes at the same time of going to world cup matches. examples of this the english, france rugby union teams play at that time where there is no clash maybe at the start and end of world cup. Afl people would want to see the game live and nrl there would be huge support from the english and france as well.

Basically the codes said they will give what grounds are required because they are happy to play at other venues in stead like carltons home ground. I think australia wins the bid a new stadium will be built because rann will not be in office.

This is where we need all code support each other this will help australias bid.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Old Master wrote:2020 is a much more likely chance of success.
By then Football should be in a much more powerful position to host the event without using other codes' venues.

Adelaide will probably have had a Liberal government in for at least one full term before the bid process starts and will have a PURPOSE BUILT covered stadium that is able to be configured for a variety of sports - Football, Rugby, Athletics, etc.

AFL and Cricket will have shot themselves in the foot long before then due to their arrogance and selfishness.

They are incompatible with any sports except each other and will have pissed off all the other sports by then.
No chance in 2020 !! Maybe 2022.......... :wink:
Ignore this signature

Googes
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Googes »

we only need something like homebush, afl stay at wet lakes and cricket at the oval

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

Googes wrote:we only need something like homebush, afl stay at wet lakes and cricket at the oval
homebush is too far to travel from adelaide city centre!!

Oh and add in

Googes
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Googes »

stadium style just outside CBD

TiTi Thierry Henry
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TiTi Thierry Henry »

i kno wat will fuel our bid
if we can win the 2011 Asian Championship and our clubs do really well again in the Asian Champions League
then that will only increase our chances to get the 2022 WC and maybe if we r lucky
we mite get the 2018 WC but we'll see

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Hawkesy wrote:
marcNRG wrote:European television money dominates the sport but only nine votes on the executive are Europe's. If England, Russia and Spain — each immeasurably more powerful than Australia — cannot decide which is best placed to land the event, European votes will split.
It will go to spain or England. UEFA may be split, but at most 2 will go for it England and Spain. If i have the voting procedures correct, it's the same as the Olympics that the bottom team drops out each time, unless someone gets 51% of the votes. This would mean that as soon as Spain was gone, Europe would unite behind England.

My money is definitely on Spain or England to host 2018.
I am worried I agree with you again Hawkesy. My tip England ,as Spain held it in 1982.

Googes
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Googes »

I believe even rudd had said adelaide may not be included in the bid.

Are these guys must be trying to tell rann a new stadium is needed in adelaide and it needs to be rectangle.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

marcNRG wrote:Australia can win the 2018 World Cup bid, but a lot needs to go right.

IT IS a big ask — everybody knows that — but the prize is even bigger.

The funding announced in Canberra — $45.6 million amid a global financial crisis — must convince 13 of the FIFA executive's 24 members to part with their votes.

Some wonder whether it is being spent on a long shot with little chance of success. Already, it has cost a 2018 Commonwealth Games bid for Perth or Brisbane. Already, too, it has underlined soccer's new position as the code that can command political patronage and capture contested dollars.

The naysayers have it that after consecutive southern hemisphere World Cups in South Africa and Brazil, the event will certainly head back to Europe — the sport's traditional power base — for 2018.

It ain't necessarily so.

To get there, though, everything has to go right.

While conventional wisdom has it that the European heavyweights will bully the votes, Football Federation Australia is hoping to take advantage of infighting.

European television money dominates the sport but only nine votes on the executive are Europe's. If England, Russia and Spain — each immeasurably more powerful than Australia — cannot decide which is best placed to land the event, European votes will split.

Then it comes down to numbers.

What can we offer the South Americans for their four votes?

Will Oceania and its one vote be swayed by our promise to look out for them in future?

What skills, facilities and programs do we have that Africa (four votes) might benefit from? And what could persuade the three North American delegates?

While most TV money comes from Europe, most actual viewers for the next World Cup will be in Asia — Australia's confederation.

Asian power is growing. If Australia is to have any chance it must convince Asian soccer to unite behind it. Rival bids are supposedly brewing in China and Qatar.

China is the main worry. The game there is in turmoil, but the transformative power of a World Cup in the world's largest unconquered market could be a powerful lure.

Whatever happens, taxpayers' money will be lavished upon well-travelled delegates as a lobbying offensive begins — mostly in secret.

FFA believes that for the bid to have any chance Australia must appear united and enthusiastic. FIFA delegates can sniff disunity even better than they can sense a free lunch.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/soc ... 40611.html

Quite a good analysis

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Think about this:

1998: France (Europe)
2002: Japan/Korea Asia)
2006: Germany (Europe)
2010: South Africa (Africa)
2014: Brazil ( South America)
2018: If Australia did get it, that would mean Europe has gone potentially 16 years (at a minimum) without the World Cup.

For me its Europe in 2018 and Asia in 2022 with China front runner.

Personally like to have the $45,000,000 for game development.