Goalkeeper Clearances

This forum is for the discussion of general coaching topics. Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

FootballNews is not responsible for any of the comments posted in this forum and this forum is moderated.

Moderator: Forum Admins

Rattlesnake
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Goalkeeper Clearances

Post by Rattlesnake »

I have always found if you wear a power balance bracelet you can kick further :P

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Rattlesnake wrote:I have always found if you wear a power balance bracelet you can kick further :P
Do they help on the dance floor after a few??

Azz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Azz »

Top article mers where did u get that one??

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Coach Magic Hands wrote:Top article mers where did u get that one??
He does a column/blog for the guardian

Azz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Azz »

paul merson wrote:
Will keep a lookout cheers man

The Kings Jesta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by The Kings Jesta »

Rightly so, James mentions Pepe Reina, most overall talented keeper i have seen. his ball control from pass backs is first class, which makes it easier for him to hit his targets (which he can at will, with a passing range and accuracy to rival Stevie G and Xabi Alonso). I would definitley recommend aspiring GK's watch him at least, and then if they have GK coach, ask how he does what he does.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

My first coach always said 2 things that stuck in my mind about goalkeeping.
(1) The ball has to get past 10 other players before it gets past you.
(2) The goalkeeper is not the last line of defense, he is the first line of attack.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

GK1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by GK1 »

swannsong wrote:My first coach always said 2 things that stuck in my mind about goalkeeping.
(2) The goalkeeper is not the last line of defense, he is the first line of attack.
I agree with the second point but the first point is the biggest shifting of the blame ever. And I am a goalkeeper also.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

GK1 wrote:
swannsong wrote:My first coach always said 2 things that stuck in my mind about goalkeeping.
I agree with the second point but the first point is the biggest shifting of the blame ever. And I am a goalkeeper also.
Wasn't about shifting blame, it's saying that you are part of a "team".
Forwards can miss seve goals and score 1 and you might still win 1-0
If a keeper misses 7 shots and saves 1....different story, same amount of mistakes/inability.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Sorry Swanny Im with GK1, I loathe that statement, I dont care if someone took on our whole club Im there to save goals, regardless.

And with the other one, I think I am the last line of defense, yes Im the first line of attack when I have the ball (which I prefer to label 'play maker') but my number 1 job is to save goals not start attacks, that comes second.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

paul merson wrote:Sorry Swanny Im with GK1, I loathe that statement, I dont care if someone took on our whole club Im there to save goals, regardless.

And with the other one, I think I am the last line of defense, yes Im the first line of attack when I have the ball (which I prefer to label 'play maker') but my number 1 job is to save goals not start attacks, that comes second.
"Is the glass half full or half empty."
No need to be sorry, everyone interprets things and situations differently :)
I thought the saying was great for me, then as a 9 year old playing his first year of football (not as an adult), it was more about coping with things beyond your control. The saying says nothing about shirking your responsibilty or desire to try and prevent every goal. It was also used a ploy to lessen the finger pointing if a keeper did "stuff up", they very rarely do it intentionally.
As for "shifting the blame", I never got into the blame thing, I was a team player and shared the blame with everyone else who made a mistake...can honestly say I never lambasted anyone on the park, just encouraged....but then again, I always only considered myself an average keeper/player.
As for the second saying, it should have include the word just...."not just the last line of defense..", my bad.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

swannsong wrote:
paul merson wrote:Sorry Swanny Im with GK1, I loathe that statement, I dont care if someone took on our whole club Im there to save goals, regardless.

I thought the saying was great for me, then as a 9 year old playing his first year of football (not as an adult), it was more about coping with things beyond your control. The saying says nothing about shirking your responsibilty or desire to try and prevent every goal. It was also used a ploy to lessen the finger pointing if a keeper did "stuff up", they very rarely do it intentionally.
As for "shifting the blame", I never got into the blame thing, I was a team player and shared the blame with everyone else who made a mistake...can honestly say I never lambasted anyone on the park, just encouraged....but then again, I always only considered myself an average keeper/player.
As for the second saying, it should have include the word just...."not just the last line of defense..", my bad.
As I grew up as a centre half and full back I always thought of my self as part of the team, then I saw the awesome range of kits you could wear as a keeper, then I thought shiraz them, this is about me, hence Im a goal keeper!!! 8)

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

paul merson wrote:
swannsong wrote:

As I grew up as a centre half and full back I always thought of my self as part of the team, then I saw the awesome range of kits you could wear as a keeper, then I thought shiraz them, this is about me, hence Im a goal keeper!!! 8)
You are indeed a funny man :lol:

robinfriday10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by robinfriday10 »

i was told 3 weeks ago by an old italian friend of mine that a good keeper is worth 50% to the team. 2011 makes me believe his words. :wink:
things happen for a reason

mvsc
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by mvsc »

The Kings Jesta wrote:Rightly so, James mentions Pepe Reina, most overall talented keeper i have seen. his ball control from pass backs is first class, which makes it easier for him to hit his targets (which he can at will, with a passing range and accuracy to rival Stevie G and Xabi Alonso). I would definitley recommend aspiring GK's watch him at least, and then if they have GK coach, ask how he does what he does.
Abbondanzieri

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

fantasista wrote:
The Kings Jesta wrote:Rightly so, James mentions Pepe Reina, most overall talented keeper i have seen. his ball control from pass backs is first class, which makes it easier for him to hit his targets (which he can at will, with a passing range and accuracy to rival Stevie G and Xabi Alonso). I would definitley recommend aspiring GK's watch him at least, and then if they have GK coach, ask how he does what he does.
Abbondanzieri
Did you just lean on your keyboard?

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

paul merson wrote:
fantasista wrote:
Abbondanzieri
Did you just lean on your keyboard?
Apparently a very good keeper !

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

paul merson wrote:
Left wing rag read by wasters, vagabonds and Villans :lol: but a sensible article. Drives me mad to watch our keeper smash it as far as possible when the full backs have made the effort to get wide and give him an easy roll out.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower