Arsene Wenger says Socceroos will lack depth in 2010 World C

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Around the Country
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Arsene Wenger says Socceroos will lack depth in 2010 World C

Post by Around the Country »

Arsene Wenger says Socceroos will lack depth in 2010 World Cup

By Tim Hilferty
June 14, 2009

Arsenal coach Arsene Wenger is a big fan of superstar pair Harry Kewell and Tim Cahill, but doubts Australia has the depth to make an impact at the World Cup.

The legendary coach, the only man to steer a team through an English season undefeated, spoke to the Sunday Mail during a whirlwind Asian tour last week.

He congratulated the Socceroos for qualifying for South Africa 2010, but then got down to the harsh reality of rating the team.

"The actual team I do not know very much about but I believe they profit a lot on the back of the form of Kewell," said Wenger, who has guided Arsenal to three English Premier League titles and four FA Cups.

"He was always the best player in Australia, unfortunately he was stopped in his career with injuries but I always rated him highly and I think Australia benefited from Kewell."

And he admitted to being an admirer of Everton midfielder Tim Cahill. "Because he is efficient, he is a team player, he works very hard and in any English league, which has a reputation for being strong in the air, he dominates everybody in the air," Wenger said.

"When you look at his size, it just shows you his intelligence. He must be a very intelligent player, because his anticipation level is very strong, and he is a fighter as well."

But he said depth was where Australia would likely be found out in South Africa.

"When you look, they (Australia) have some good defenders who play in the English league, they have Cahill, they have Kewell, that explains why they qualified," he said.

"But to win the World Cup you need 11 players of that calibre, but can Australia turn up at that level?

"I'm not completely sure, but I am keen to see."

The man known as "The Professor" for his studious approach to football, nominated Spain as his favourites to win the World Cup.

"They are European champions but they are not a team that is over the peak, they are still going up," he said.

"England maybe as a bit of an outsider, and in South America, Brazil and Argentina (are the chances)."

Wenger also had a swipe at the "style versus results" debate that has surfaced after the Socceroos' successful, yet lacklustre, World Cup qualifying campaign.

"Once you go into that debate it means you have to chose between winning and playing well," he said.

"You win when you play well. That's why I always refuse to go into this debate because I believe winning is a consequence of playing well."

povman_2009
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Arsene Wenger says Socceroos will lack depth in 2010 World C

Post by povman_2009 »

Nice to see he even cares, :wink:

Blotto
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Blotto »

he's right though unfortunately...

going by the peformances of the last few games(and tonight), we'll get belted by superior opposition..

pires7
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by pires7 »

he knows all about depth hurting a team :evil: :twisted:

Chelsea4thewin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chelsea4thewin »

Blotto wrote:he's right though unfortunately...

going by the peformances of the last few games(and tonight), we'll get belted by superior opposition..
well take 4 or 5 starters out of anyteam and u dont get the ideal team chemistry
Chelsea4thewin wrote: if Torres doesnt score in the next 3 games i will put a liverpool symbol as my avatar for the rest of the season

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

pires7 wrote:he knows all about depth hurting a team :evil: :twisted:

mr_bojangles
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mr_bojangles »

"The actual team I do not know very much about but I believe they profit a lot on the back of the form of Kewell,"

nuff said

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Post by getborn »

mr_bojangles wrote:"The actual team I do not know very much about but I believe they profit a lot on the back of the form of Kewell,"

nuff said
why, not wrong really.

Microwave Hamster
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Microwave Hamster »

By his own admission he's said he knows very little about the team so his comments are based on ignorance.
The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Post by getborn »

Microwave Hamster wrote:By his own admission he's said he knows very little about the team so his comments are based on ignorance.
applies more to Cahill than Kewell.

but ignorance aside, he is still correct.