Fiorentina Striker Adrian Mutu Forced To Retire

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Fiorentina Striker Adrian Mutu Forced To Retire

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

Fiorentina Striker Adrian Mutu Forced To Retire From Football Over Chelsea Compensation - Report
The striker will be forced to quit football by Chelsea if he doesn't pay the compensation within the next 48 hours, according to reports in Italy...

Adrian Mutu will be forced to quit football by Chelsea if he doesn't pay them the €17,173,990 compensation he was ordered to by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), and the race is now on to try and save his career, according to La Nazione.

Mutu has until Monday to pay Chelsea the compensation. If he doesn't, then the Premier League side will force the player to quit by applying to FIFA for a ban.

The race is now on to try and find a solution and the report suggests Mutu is looking at every avenue. It is said Fiorentina and the player's legal team are looking towards UEFA and the European Courts for a hand. Furthermore, voices in Italy claim Chelsea are in no mood to offer the player a chance to find the cash. He either pays, or stops playing football, putting his career at risk.

News emerging from Italy has shocked the country, and Florence in particular. The Della Valle family who own Fiorentina are also getting involved and they have applied to the Italian FA to support them. Italian minister for work Maurizio Sacconi is urging the Berlusconi-led government to take action in an attempt to save the player's career.

"The Mutu case is delicate and I urge the government to get involved," said the minister.

It is also said Juventus and Livorno are ready to back Mutu in his plea for justice. There are serious fears that the game against Palermo tomorrow night could be his last. The player's legal team and club are working over time in an attempt to explore new avenues and buy him more time.

As a last resort, the paper has even suggested a fund raising event in the city in an attempt to help the striker pay the massive sum.

All this comes from the player's sacking by Chelsea in October 2004 when he was found positive for cocaine during a doping test. Mutu was then ordered to pay Chelsea €17m in damages after the CAS rejected an appeal following the initial compensation decision last year.

In May 2008, the FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber ruled that Mutu had committed a breach of contract whilst at Chelsea after he was found positive for a doping test in 2004.

Mutu appealed to the CAS against the decision, but the panel upheld the original judgement by the FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber, and ruled in favour of Chelsea. The decision means Mutu will have to pay the Premier League side a total of €17,173,990 in compensation.

The striker is now trying desperately to find a solution and it is said he will take the case to the high courts.

Chelsea's stance in this matter has shocked sections of the football world, and there are fears in some quarters over the damage this has done to their public relations.

# 9
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Fiorentina Striker Adrian Mutu Forced To Retire

Post by # 9 »

forcing him to retire is bottle of shiraz wrong. there are better ways to resolve the issue

Kitchimo
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Kitchimo »

I'd be interested to know how they came to that figure.
http://www.oisc.com.au

Championships
A Grade: 1990, 1991, 1992, 2007, 2010
B Grade: 2001, 2007
C Grade: 2004, 2010
D Grade: 2009, 2010

Cups
A Grade: 1989
B Grade: 2002

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Druggie. Sets a great example to the youth of today.

The compensation was a breach of contract thing, I think.

Strange how, if a club breaches a contract, the players get their whack but when the boot's on the other foot they moan like sangiovese.

Can't have it both ways.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

hgd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by hgd »

this is false, Chelsea released a press statement the other day categorically denying this.

Kitchimo
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Kitchimo »

Nice One Cyril wrote:Druggie. Sets a great example to the youth of today.

Strange how, if a club breaches a contract, the players get their whack but when the boot's on the other foot they moan like sangiovese.

Can't have it both ways.
If I breach my contract at work, they don't fine me, they sack me and don't have to pay me out. Which is what happened to Mutu - unless they paid him out, and therefore that's where the figure may have come from.

Championships

Cups

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

i think the figure is based on what they paid for him and what they would have got if the sold him
ImageImage

Ronnie#10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Ronnie#10 »

Another reason to hate Chelsea. I know what he did was wrong but to force a player to retire I think is taking it way to far.
TEA TREE GULLY CITY 2007 DIV 2 RESERVES CHAMPIONS!

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

At the end of the day it is setting a good example for youth today, he did one of the worst things an athlete can do in regards to cheating. I'm not sure that Chelsea were forced to release the player as a result of his drug test results howver the club certainly would not want to be linked to a player with that kind of history. I feel that Chelsea could however come to some sort of agreement to which the player could pay it in installments this way everyone is happy.

Although at the end of the day taking drugs as a professional athlete to me is the worst form of cheating, end of story!
HA'WAY THE LADS

Chade
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chade »

imanoutlaw wrote:At the end of the day it is setting a good example for youth today, he did one of the worst things an athlete can do in regards to cheating.
It was cocaine, not steroids... :? And there were questions over due process, that Chelsea weren't actually allowed to test their players, only the FA/national association/league authority can do that.

Chelsea stuffed up by sacking him, and now are trying to make Mutu pay for their mistake.

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

Chade wrote:
imanoutlaw wrote:At the end of the day it is setting a good example for youth today, he did one of the worst things an athlete can do in regards to cheating.
It was cocaine, not steroids... :? And there were questions over due process, that Chelsea weren't actually allowed to test their players, only the FA/national association/league authority can do that.

Chelsea stuffed up by sacking him, and now are trying to make Mutu pay for their mistake.
Drugs are drugs whether they are performance enhancing or not, he took them end of story.
HA'WAY THE LADS

Chade
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chade »

imanoutlaw wrote:
Chade wrote:

Drugs are drugs whether they are performance enhancing or not, he took them end of story.
It's not end of story, it's your point of view. Apart from you getting your facts wrong...

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

what facts did i get wrong?? it is a banned substance that he took. they are drugs he was caught??
HA'WAY THE LADS

Chade
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chade »

imanoutlaw wrote:what facts did i get wrong?? it is a banned substance that he took. they are drugs he was caught??
How is a non-performance enhancing drug "cheating"?

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

Chade wrote:
imanoutlaw wrote:what facts did i get wrong?? it is a banned substance that he took. they are drugs he was caught??
Because several non performance enhancing drugs can be used as masking agents for others.

Now please stop talking as your stupidity is irritating :?
HA'WAY THE LADS

Chade
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chade »

imanoutlaw wrote:
Chade wrote:
Because several non performance enhancing drugs can be used as masking agents for others.

Cocaine is not a performance enhancing drug. It's not a masking agent. It's a pure recreational drug.

You were saying something about stupidity - or maybe you just don't like someone disagreeing with you.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Kitchimo wrote:

Can't have it both ways.
If I breach my contract at work, they don't fine me, they sack me and don't have to pay me out. Which is what happened to Mutu - unless they paid him out, and therefore that's where the figure may have come from.
Yeah, but your company didn't pay millions to get you. Or at least I hope not!
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Shaggetz
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Shaggetz »

imanoutlaw wrote:
Chade wrote:

Cocaine as a masking agent? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard :lol:

"They might detect the nandrolone I've taken so I'll cover it up with harmless cocaine and noone will be the wiser' :lol:

Kitchimo
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Kitchimo »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Kitchimo wrote:

Can't have it both ways.
Yeah, but your company didn't pay millions to get you. Or at least I hope not!

I'm worth every cent :lol:

Championships

Cups