Starting a new social amateur team

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

The Bug
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Starting a new social amateur team

Post by The Bug »

I'm sure this has been asked before but cbf searching and things have probably changed over time.

With a bunch of mates we would like to start a team to play socially on saturdays. We are not breaking away from any particular club. We aim to keep it close-knit as all the players are already friends or friends of friends. We don't want to become a club that holds functions or aims for it to grow. A simple team (1 team not A's and B's) where we can have a kick together with our families watching and then just kick back for the rest of the day.

I would appreciated the advice from others who may have done this. How did you get started, costs involved, things needed to be put in place, etc etc.

Any genuine comments on the matter are kindly appreciated.

Kitchimo
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Starting a new social amateur team

Post by Kitchimo »

- ground?
- uniform?
- which association? (Collegiate League or SAASL or Over 35) - ie how much is it going to cost you to start a team and remain afffiliated.
- training?
- equipment?
- coach? goalkeeper?

Your best bet would be to approach an already existing club in your area and ask to play under their banner as a social team in the C Grade league as then everything is sorted out for you. I think that happened in Sunday Div 1 this year with Adelaide Vikings.
http://www.oisc.com.au

Championships
A Grade: 1990, 1991, 1992, 2007, 2010
B Grade: 2001, 2007
C Grade: 2004, 2010
D Grade: 2009, 2010

Cups
A Grade: 1989
B Grade: 2002

TOPGUNJIMMYAUFC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by TOPGUNJIMMYAUFC »

an supporters as well,

what suburb ?
RADIO LALASEMENO
http://www.lalasemeno.gr

this has just changed my life............above link

dont use my name..

What has 100 legs & 4 teeth? The front row of the Collingwood cheer squad

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Kitchimo wrote:- ground?
- uniform?
- which association? (Collegiate League or SAASL or Over 35) - ie how much is it going to cost you to start a team and remain afffiliated.
- training?
- equipment?
- coach? goalkeeper?

Your best bet would be to approach an already existing club in your area and ask to play under their banner as a social team in the C Grade league as then everything is sorted out for you. I think that happened in Sunday Div 1 this year with Adelaide Vikings.
A wealthy benefactor !
False ID's can help too !
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

TOPGUNJIMMYAUFC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

swannsong wrote:
Kitchimo wrote:- ground?
- uniform?
- training?
- equipment?
- coach? goalkeeper?

A wealthy benefactor !
False ID's can help too !

YOUR SO CORRUPT , EY!
RADIO LALASEMENO

dont use my name..

The Bug
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by The Bug »

Kitchimo wrote:- ground? got one
- uniform? easy
- which association? (Collegiate League or SAASL or Over 35) - ie how much is it going to cost you to start a team and remain afffiliated. SASSL Sat Div 6 possibly?
- training? not required but maybe futsal sessions or at a beer bar somewhere
- equipment? easy few balls, nets, flags...
- coach? goalkeeper? No coach, we are a bunch of mates who have played socially for years.. easy for us.

No thanks we do not want affiliation with anybody. Our team, our atmosphere, couldn't care less if we get thumped 10-0 every game - I seriously doubt that though :wink: .

We don't want to be a club, just blokes that play in the same team on a large pitch. We don't care how amateur we look.

This post is more trying to research the process, affiliation with the league, registering a name, league costs, referee costs etc... The internals are easy - funded by us and if a local business comes on board so be it.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

What would you call yourselves (ie team name)?
Ignore this signature

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Bomber wrote:What would you call yourselves (ie team name)?
Bugs United !

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

swannsong wrote:
Bugs United !

Bugs Bunny as mascot? Go the bunnies!
Ignore this signature

TOPGUNJIMMYAUFC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Bomber wrote:
swannsong wrote:
Bugs United !

:lol:
RADIO LALASEMENO

dont use my name..

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Bomber wrote:
swannsong wrote:
Bugs United !

Lose to them and you have been Buggered !

Kitchimo
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Kitchimo »

The Bug wrote:
- uniform? easy
- which association? (Collegiate League or SAASL or Over 35) - ie how much is it going to cost you to start a team and remain afffiliated. SASSL Sat Div 6 possibly?
- coach? goalkeeper? No coach, we are a bunch of mates who have played socially for years.. easy for us.

No thanks we do not want affiliation with anybody. Our team, our atmosphere, couldn't care less if we get thumped 10-0 every game - I seriously doubt that though :wink: .

We don't want to be a club, just blokes that play in the same team on a large pitch. We don't care how amateur we look.

This post is more trying to research the process, affiliation with the league, registering a name, league costs, referee costs etc... The internals are easy - funded by us and if a local business comes on board so be it.
Sounds like you are ready to go with the 'major' stuff.

You will need to ensure that you have a suitably available club referee every home game (and that you have enough money to pay him). The SAASL fees are found in this document here: http://www.saasl.com.au/applications/Do ... s_2010.pdf
http://www.oisc.com.au

Championships
A Grade: 1990, 1991, 1992, 2007, 2010
B Grade: 2001, 2007
C Grade: 2004, 2010
D Grade: 2009, 2010

Cups
A Grade: 1989
B Grade: 2002

The Bug
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by The Bug »

Kitchimo wrote:
The Bug wrote:
- uniform? easy

Sounds like you are ready to go with the 'major' stuff.

You will need to ensure that you have a suitably available club referee every home game (and that you have enough money to pay him). The SAASL fees are found in this document here: http://www.saasl.com.au/applications/Do ... s_2010.pdf
Do we need to register a team name or anything like that with another body outside of the league?

KING NUGGETT
Star Player
Star Player

Post by KING NUGGETT »

Bug off & ring the League...

SAASL DIV.1 CHAMPIONS 73,75,78,02,10,11,13
CHALLENGE CUP WINNERS 74,75,80,08,10,11,13
SAASL DIV.1 RES. CHAMPIONS 71,75,77,78,79,94,11,13
RES. CUP WINNERS 73,75,76,13
CHAMPIONS OF CHAMPIONS 10
CICHANOWSKI SHIELD 90,08,11,12,14

Est.1966

The Bug
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by The Bug »

KING NUGGETT wrote:Bug off & ring the League...
Was trying to work out why you sound so feral, but then I saw your location and it all makes sense now. Thanks.

Aldo Serena
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Aldo Serena »

The Bug wrote:Do we need to register a team name or anything like that with another body outside of the league?
Not unless you want to become Incorporated or anything along those line.

MSSC Blue Eagles
2011 Division 3 Champions

ontheblackburner
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by ontheblackburner »

Bug, some serious organisation on some level would be required - you couldn't just rock up on Saturday and have a kick. The SAASL would need to be satisfied that your are a club in some capacity, not just a bunch of guys wanting a kick.

I'm not against your idea but rather simply suggesting you would need to maker sure certain criteria a accounted for before you gain admission into SAASL
#venkysout

Salisbury Florina (1970 - 2018)
2005 SAASL Sunday Division 2 Champions
2009 SAASL Sunday Premier League Champions
2013 SAASL Sunday Division 2 Champions

https://www.facebook.com/MantonStTribe
https://www.twitter.com/MantonStTribe

sweaty bollocks
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by sweaty bollocks »

ontheblackburner wrote:Bug, some serious organisation on some level would be required - you couldn't just rock up on Saturday and have a kick. The SAASL would need to be satisfied that your are a club in some capacity, not just a bunch of guys wanting a kick.

I'm not against your idea but rather simply suggesting you would need to maker sure certain criteria a accounted for before you gain admission into SAASL
nah ignore this... SAASL just want money from clubs and will let any team in, regardless of ground, facilities, etc etc Pay your money and thats it. SAASL are also really good at changing fixtures 6 times and a day before season starts, they also dont like to be asked any questions unless its related to giving them money. Oh and there website is updated about 3 weeks later or never. :)

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

ontheblackburner wrote:Bug, some serious organisation on some level would be required - you couldn't just rock up on Saturday and have a kick. The SAASL would need to be satisfied that your are a club in some capacity, not just a bunch of guys wanting a kick.

I agree, you have to be sure that once you have made the committment to play,that you stick with it until the end of the season,regardless of where you have to go, and how your results are going. All too often new clubs come along,fall by the wayside early dont realise how tough the competition is,especially division 6 Saturdays,if this season is anything to go by, and be prepared to travel, we dont want teams who are going to forfeit because Mt Barker / Port Elliott is considered too far. Just out of curiousity what area are you in,what colours do you intend wearing ?

Wraith
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Wraith »

What times would the games be on?

11.30am or 3pm?

The Bug
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by The Bug »

We would be in the Western Metro Area. Some of us are fans of the Kangaroos, so probably be wearing blue + white stripes :wink:

Our intention is all there, and some of us are quite aware of the standard of div 6, we would fit in easily! As for the distance to travel between games - brilliant. Each away game would be a road trip together with the families.

Wraith
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Wraith »

The Bug wrote:Some of us are fans of the Kangaroos, so probably be wearing blue + white stripes :wink:
Incorporate the Carlton logo somehow and I will come and watch a game.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

The Bug wrote:We would be in the Western Metro Area. Some of us are fans of the Kangaroos, so probably be wearing blue + white stripes :wink:

Our intention is all there, and some of us are quite aware of the standard of div 6, we would fit in easily! As for the distance to travel between games - brilliant. Each away game would be a road trip together with the families.
I thought West Adelaide already had teams with the FFSA ????
You might be able to play at B27 :wink:

Jean Claude
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Jean Claude »

The Bug wrote:
KING NUGGETT wrote:Bug off & ring the League...
Was trying to work out why you sound so feral, but then I saw your location and it all makes sense now. Thanks.
:lol: :shock:

"I am the Fred Astaire of karate".

The Magician
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by The Magician »

swannsong wrote:
The Bug wrote:We would be in the Western Metro Area. Some of us are fans of the Kangaroos, so probably be wearing blue + white stripes :wink:

another :clown: so fixated with WA

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

The Magician wrote:
swannsong wrote:

another :clown: so fixated with WA
I have no fixation with WA, the opportunity just presented itself... and there are several out there that get so defensive when you mention that name.

The Magician
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by The Magician »

swannsong wrote: I have no fixation with WA, the opportunity just presented itself... and there are several out there that get so defensive when you mention that name.
If you weren't fixated with WA then it wouldn't have been an opportunity that presented itself..as it wasn't for many others.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

The Magician wrote:
swannsong wrote: I have no fixation with WA, the opportunity just presented itself... and there are several out there that get so defensive when you mention that name.
If you weren't fixated with WA then it wouldn't have been an opportunity that presented itself..as it wasn't for many others.

The Magician
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by The Magician »

Great Response.

Translation. You have proved me to be a fool.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Miss Magic wrote:Great Response.... You have proved me to be a fool.
Obviously face palm is not your first language.
Methinks you have a fixation with me Miss Magic....with or without gloves.