russia + qatar

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

russia + qatar

Post by God is an Englishman »

just in case people think there's no corruption at fifa.

Chaos
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Re: russia + qatar

Post by Chaos »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Biggest farce ive seen in many years.
Thought Harper was going to cry when the team crossed to Zurich after he left the auditorium.
Bosnich spoke very true words though.
Vladimir Putin not showing up as he found out he'd won the rights :? :?
But the question remains how do people know of hosts an hour before the announcement.

ps: hows the punters in Europe...
One man in britain laid down 1000 pounds on the Russia/Qatar double paying 13/2 (or 6.50 I believe) :evil:
COLOSSUS wrote:Let me guess, ive got no balls

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

It's gonna be a dry old WC in 2022, but it'll be entertaining to watch the Qataris deal with thousands of drunk football fans. They'd better start recruiting more police.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nice One Cyril wrote:It's gonna be a dry old WC in 2022, but it'll be entertaining to watch the Qataris deal with thousands of drunk football fans. They'd better start recruiting more police.

Dry zone across the whole country will kill crowds anyway.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Imagine if the air-conditioners fail at the grounds. Do they have a hot weather policy over there? :wink:
Ignore this signature

Chade
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chade »

Despite the aircon, it's going to be the Cup with the slowest games ever seen.

Plus... does Qatar even have 8 cities? Isn't that part of the criteria?

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

they'll just build new cities around the new stadiums.........
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Chade
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chade »

MegaBonus wrote:they'll just build new cities around the new stadiums.........
I checked. Doha is the only city.

They'll have to loosen immigration restrictions. Can't see that happening.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

sorry...shouldve used blue colouring............ :lol: :lol:
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Chade
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chade »

MegaBonus wrote:sorry...shouldve used blue colouring............ :lol: :lol:
I knew you were joking. I wasn't completely serious either... :P

Litmanen
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Litmanen »

Will be interesting to see what's going on in the Middle East in 12 years time.

Just putting it out there..

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

considering Qatar's population doubles around every 6 years organically then I'd say a hell of a lot by 2022!!

Woohafkaf Car
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Woohafkaf Car »

God is an Englishman wrote:just in case people think there's no corruption at fifa.
I have no problem with Russia hosting it, but Qatar is a fuçking joke. No country who has never qualified for the tournament should be allowed to host it at the expense of one who has.
No country who has never qualified for the world cup should be allowed to host it at the expense of one who has.
Sod Japan, sod Qatar, sod Blatter and his cronies!

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

The TV coverage is going to be pretty boring at Qatar as well.

There'll be no cameras panning the crowd looking for the sexily/revealingly dressed women in the stands. They'll all have to dress "modestly" (meaning covered from head to foot) and be "restrained" (meaning no jumping up and down cheering like crazy") in their support - that's if they will even be allowed in the stadium!

Women will certainly be restricted in alcohol consumption and will always have to be in the company of their father, brother or husband.

No public displays of affection will be allowed either, that means kissing and hugging in the stands will be outlawed.

Plus there'll be no drunk fans livening things up either as alcohol will be severely restricted, with "offenders" suffering dire consequences including imprisonment for up to 10 years for "public disorder".

BAD MOVE FIFA! :evil:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Kitchimo
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Kitchimo »

FIFA will get Qatar to put Sunni law on hold for a month.
http://www.oisc.com.au

Championships
A Grade: 1990, 1991, 1992, 2007, 2010
B Grade: 2001, 2007
C Grade: 2004, 2010
D Grade: 2009, 2010

Cups
A Grade: 1989
B Grade: 2002

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Kitchimo wrote:FIFA will get Qatar to put Sunni law on hold for a month.
That would defy the laws of physics?

It's always sunni in Qatar!
Time for some righteous indignation

Rob Lozza
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rob Lozza »

Wir Sind Helden wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:just in case people think there's no corruption at fifa.
I have no problem with Russia hosting it, but Qatar is a fuçking joke. No country who has never qualified for the tournament should be allowed to host it at the expense of one who has.
Why?

chunky-monkey
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by chunky-monkey »

Rob Lozza wrote:
Wir Sind Helden wrote:
Why?
Are you serious...? How can you award a country a tournament granting them a spot in the prestigious tournament without having ever qualified??? To play at the elite level you need to earn it not be handed it. Qatar need to return the silver plates after the tournament!! Absolute joke if you ask me, money talks.

The one and only
Star Player
Star Player

Post by The one and only »

Old Master wrote:The TV coverage is going to be pretty boring at Qatar as well.

There'll be no cameras panning the crowd looking for the sexily/revealingly dressed women in the stands. They'll all have to dress "modestly" (meaning covered from head to foot) and be "restrained" (meaning no jumping up and down cheering like crazy") in their support - that's if they will even be allowed in the stadium!

Women will certainly be restricted in alcohol consumption and will always have to be in the company of their father, brother or husband.

No public displays of affection will be allowed either, that means kissing and hugging in the stands will be outlawed.

Plus there'll be no drunk fans livening things up either as alcohol will be severely restricted, with "offenders" suffering dire consequences including imprisonment for up to 10 years for "public disorder".BAD MOVE FIFA! :evil:
no drunk fans not to mention no hot brazilian women in bikini's because of their laws its gonna be 50 degrees and all the women have to be covered lol

in all seriousness i think qatar is going to be the worst world cup in history
I speak nothing but the truth

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

Plus there'll be no drunk fans livening things up either as alcohol will be severely restricted, with "offenders" suffering dire consequences including imprisonment for up to 10 years for "public disorder".
Don't get me wrong, I don't think Qatar should have got it, BUT, I think all the points above by yourself and alot of others are very naive, 'western' thinkings.
What do I mean......

The world is not all western, run by western cultures and traditions, (eg) alcohol consumption, kissing in public, women at games etc

Yes, foreign supporters will go and support their teams, but majority of supporters will be locals from neighboring countries, hence all abide by theses same laws in their countries, so it's the 'norm' to the Arab world.
Just like the majority of spectators were from Africa in South Africa, majority of spectators in 2022 will be from the Middle East.

Getting smashed watching any sporting event, or having 10 beers while you watch a piece of meat cook on the BBQ is not the 'norm' to them, which is just a normal part of life to us

Alot of people need to realize that OUR way of life is not how the whole world lives, we need to learn to respect other cultures and beliefs, just like they should in our countries !

Like I always say
Spot Željko Jurin Jnr ......

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

Another example of western naivity....

How many westerners actually celebrate Christmas and Easter for what it actually means and go to church, rather then just a few days off work to get smashed and have a BBQ again ?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Zeljko Jurin wrote:Another example of western naivity....

How many westerners actually celebrate Christmas and Easter for what it actually means and go to church, rather then just a few days off work to get smashed and have a BBQ again ?
Guilty! I cant remember the last time I went to a church service at any time of year, other than those held at weddings or funerals. As for getting smashed, having a barby.....who needs Easter or Christmas to do that? :D
Ignore this signature

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

Don't worry, I am guilty too, but I do manage to go Christmas Eve with the kids atleast. 8)

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

Approx 1.5 billion, or 25% of the worlds population is Muslim, that's alot of people that don't drink alcohol, or run around in g-strings and bikinis....

rooboy1986
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rooboy1986 »

Zeljko Jurin wrote:Approx 1.5 billion, or 25% of the worlds population is Muslim, that's alot of people that don't drink alcohol, or run around in g-strings and bikinis....
A bit of an over generalisation... I'm sure the other 4 billion christians don't have pre-marital sex and/or covet their neighbours possessions etc.

Blackhawk
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Blackhawk »

Zeljko Jurin wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I don't think Qatar should have got it, BUT, I think all the points above by yourself and alot of others are very naive, 'western' thinkings.
What do I mean......

The world is not all western, run by western cultures and traditions, (eg) alcohol consumption, kissing in public, women at games etc

Yes, foreign supporters will go and support their teams, but majority of supporters will be locals from neighboring countries, hence all abide by theses same laws in their countries, so it's the 'norm' to the Arab world.
Just like the majority of spectators were from Africa in South Africa, majority of spectators in 2022 will be from the Middle East.

Getting smashed watching any sporting event, or having 10 beers while you watch a piece of meat cook on the BBQ is not the 'norm' to them, which is just a normal part of life to us

Alot of people need to realize that OUR way of life is not how the whole world lives, we need to learn to respect other cultures and beliefs, just like they should in our countries !

Like I always say

Yes, good points.

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

My points are towards all the negativity towards the 'alcohol' and 'women' comments, and that there are ALOT of people in the world that don't see it in the same light as us westerners

But yes, the WC will be boring off the pitch to the minority (not all the teams will be western world teams) of westerners that will be there......

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

You never know, Qatar could surprise everyone.

Have a look what the Arabs can do with places like Dubai in such a short time. Way, way ahead of most western countries.
Ignore this signature

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Hawkseys Double »

Russia makes sense. England had the better bid, but I think any of those countries can be justified. All of the bidders on 2018 have good stadiums, large populations, great support for their local and national teams. I'm disappointed England didn't get it (and I do think FIFA really, really hates England -____- ) but I think Russia will put on a good show. After all, there has been much investment into the sport in Russia, and as we have seen over the last few years, Russia has developed some good talent, and its local teams have done well in the Europa League and Champions League.

HOWEVER, Qatar. Now that's a different story. A country of 1 million, with no real success over the last few years, no ready purpose made stadiums, and no real passion or interest in the game. The logical choice would have been the United States (I did want Australia to win though) as the US has the stadiums ready, and passion is growing quickly. Had the US got it, football mania would have hit the US until 2022. A world cup in the US would have done more for gaining fans of the game, not to mention possibly football would have become the number one game in the US. For promotion of the game, Australia and the US were better choices. I'm still unsure why Qatar got it, and always will be, I might say some brown envelopes were involved, but there is no evidence to support that claim.

Just for those interested, this image I got actually shows the "risks" involved in having the world cup in certain countries. I find it strange that the two most risky nations were chosen.

http://gzt.be/f$fa.png

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Hawkseys Double »

Zeljko Jurin wrote:
What do I mean......

Like I always say

Although I wholeheartedly agree with you, what is going to difficult is a majority are not going to think like you. Being European myself, I can assure you Europeans will go there expecting to drink etc. There will be huge cultural clashes during the event, as I'm sure neither side will want to be more understanding of the other. For example, I'm sure the English will refuse to not get drunk and rowdy at the event, and I'm sure the Qatar authorities are not willing to turn a blind eye to that. I agree that the world is not western minded, but the world is also not Muslim minded. Compromises will have to be made if it is to be a successful and peaceful world cup, and some ideological differences to be abolished.