Olyroos v. Uzbekistan 6.30pm Sund. 27/11 on FoxTV

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Con
Squad Player
Squad Player

Olyroos v. Uzbekistan 6.30pm Sund. 27/11 on FoxTV

Post by Con »

After our 2nd 0-0 draw last Tuesday, luckily U.A.E also drew with Uzbekistan 0-0, so we are still in it, with the table looking like this:

Uzbekistan..4 points

Australia....2

U.A.E........2

Iraq..........1

We can leapfrog the Uzbekis if we beat them @ Parramatta on Sunday 27/11/11 (live 6.30pm, Foxsports1). The top team in the group goes to the London 2012 Olympics. The runner-up plays off against the runners-up of the other 2 Asian groups, then a further play-off with an African runner-up.

Not much interest yet in the Olyroos' endeavours, but it is important we make it to London as so many mainstream Aussies follow all sports at the Olympics & our game will be exposed to them.

PhilDunphy
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Olyroos v. Uzbekistan 6.30pm Sund. 27/11 on FoxTV

Post by PhilDunphy »

c'mon Olyroos

Hawkesy's Solicitor
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Hawkesy's Solicitor »

Away win :P
When I have people around for dinner I make sure I set aside a couple of options for vegetarians.
They can make do or they can shiraz off !!

jason
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by jason »

Bosnich quality commentator, best thing about that game.

Con
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Con »

:( Three 0-0 draws in a row so far!

Things look grim, with consecutive away matches in Uzbekistan & the U.A.E. to come.

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Why would anyone in their right mind put Vidmar in charge? That game reminded me of the drivel Adelaide United used to produce under the clown

Sack Vidmar now, a new coach might just get the required lift from the team or it will be no Olympics for us
Are you Bodo in disguise?

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

sorry to say, but VIDMAR is cabernet!!!

Olyroos were not that good tbh, Uzbeks looks like scoring.

Olyroos had 1 shot on target?????

PATHETIC!

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Glad I missed the game on Foxtel.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Poor result but YET AGAIN a banana ref kept on getting sucked in with giving frees just coz someone falls over, all the Uzbek's injury feigning, players rolling around like they've been shot, only to jump up after a drink and a dose of magic spray.
Where do they find these refs who continually "see things" that dont actually happen?
The sooner there is a five minute mandatory minimum off rule for ANY player requiring medical attention, the better. If he is seriously injured, use a sub there and then.
Ignore this signature

Con
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Con »

Bomber wrote:Poor result but YET AGAIN a banana ref kept on getting sucked in with giving frees just coz someone falls over, all the Uzbek's injury feigning, players rolling around like they've been shot, only to jump up after a drink and a dose of magic spray.
Where do they find these refs who continually "see things" that dont actually happen?
The sooner there is a five minute mandatory minimum off rule for ANY player requiring medical attention, the better. If he is seriously injured, use a sub there and then.
Yeah, fair point Polska Bomba. It's infuriating when they bounce up from their excruciating injury that's held up the game. A protocol for dealing with injured players should have been sorted by now & should have been right up there on the agenda of the mob charged with 'improving the attractiveness of the game", the Task Force "Football 2014". I like the idea of using the sub there & then if it's a serious legit. injury. But what do you do if a mob of thugs go out to deliberately injure opponents? If moderately injured players are forced to stay off for 5 minutes isn't that penalised the aggrieved team?

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

I don't think you will ever get a 'perfect' balance, however 99% of the time it's pretty obvious if someone is badly hurt or just milking it (especially if no-one is near them) sure once or twice it might be legit, however last night was another shocking display

Having said that wouldn't have happened if they were losing so can't really blame them

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

The amount of time spent rolling on the ground before the player signals for the trainer should be the time spent off the pitch.

Reds11
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Reds11 »

So boring. Not confident we will qualify now

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Con wrote:
Bomber wrote:Poor result but YET AGAIN a banana ref kept on getting sucked in with giving frees just coz someone falls over, all the Uzbek's injury feigning, players rolling around like they've been shot, only to jump up after a drink and a dose of magic spray.
Yeah, fair point Polska Bomba. It's infuriating when they bounce up from their excruciating injury that's held up the game. A protocol for dealing with injured players should have been sorted by now & should have been right up there on the agenda of the mob charged with 'improving the attractiveness of the game", the Task Force "Football 2014". I like the idea of using the sub there & then if it's a serious legit. injury. But what do you do if a mob of thugs go out to deliberately injure opponents? If moderately injured players are forced to stay off for 5 minutes isn't that penalised the aggrieved team?
Well, the scenario you use is rather extreme. Surely if a mob of thugs went out to injure as you say, wouldnt the ref be sending these guys off left right and centre? And if players are moderately injured, then the 5 minutes can be used to properly assess their injury. Furthermore, if it is legitimate (mild injury), if the player asks the ref permission to leave the field of play to get attention, on the proviso that the request is done during a break in play, then that player can be waved back on at any time. Easy!
Ignore this signature

Con
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Con »

Bomber wrote: And if players are moderately injured, then the 5 minutes can be used to properly assess their injury. Furthermore, if it is legitimate (mild injury), if the player asks the ref permission to leave the field of play to get attention, on the proviso that the request is done during a break in play, then that player can be waved back on at any time. Easy!
Bacon888 wrote:The amount of time spent rolling on the ground before the player signals for the trainer should be the time spent off the pitch.
I like some of the above in bold. But teams that are down to 10 men for a while because of legit injury are going to whinge as it is 11 against 10. It would have been good if there was interchange & they instantly got replaced by a sub while off the field, but interchange ain't gonna happen.

Another thought is they should be instantly whipped off the field by stretcher which embarrasses the faker who gets up off the stretcher just as instantly when the stretcher reaches the sideline. And there could be TWO stretcher squads for internationals & big club games - each one positioned on the side-line opposite where each assistant ref is patrolling. The stretcher squads' brief would be to sprint and quickly remove the 'dying' player.
Last edited by Con on Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Disappointing result. Viddie said they need to work on shooting. But is that the problem or the build up play that gives our forwards no chance just as how the U17's and U20's in both world cups played? I think our lads need to play a bit more futsal to work on our close skill and dribbling skills?
C'mon boys I'll be in London to see you! You gotta make it!

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Vidmar's tactics at their finest

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Red-4-Life wrote:Vidmar's tactics at their finest
But thats the thing. Vidmar wasn't coaching either the U17's or U20's. And when you think about it how much attacking skill have the Socceroos shown of late? Why can't Australians attack? Harry Kewell is probably to only player we've ever produced that has that sort of skill at a high level. Why?
The only other person that comes to mind is probably Nathan Burns and why he isn't a regular in the national team squad is beyond me.

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Stuckey wrote:
But thats the thing. Vidmar wasn't coaching either the U17's or U20's. And when you think about it how much attacking skill have the Socceroos shown of late? Why can't Australians attack? Harry Kewell is probably to only player we've ever produced that has that sort of skill at a high level. Why?
The only other person that comes to mind is probably Nathan Burns and why he isn't a regular in the national team squad is beyond me.
And Leckie and I think for the Socceroos, they are so much better when Tim Cahill is playing.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Red-4-Life wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
And Leckie and I think for the Socceroos, they are so much better when Tim Cahill is playing.
True but most of his goals come from crosses and set pieces. Leckie hasn't come close to proving himself on a world stage yet. I hope he'll be there in London 2012

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Leckie has hardly been given a chance though. I think time is on his side though and he'll be up there with the Socceroos in a couple years from now.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Another player we need. Chris Herd. The kid starts for Aston Villa. Get him in before he goes to Scotland you idiots! How could anyone player Emerton over him! Sure Brett is great but how about a thought for the future or are we going to turn into the Australian Cricket team too?
I hope the dead rubber we play next in world cup qualifing we use to blood some young guns. Who cares if we lose!