Amateur Under 18's in Northern Suburbs

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Nulli Secundus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Amateur Under 18's in Northern Suburbs

Post by Nulli Secundus »

Does anyone know of any amateur club in the Northern Suburbs of Adelaide that are submitting an under 18 team?

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Amateur Under 18's in Northern Suburbs

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

Nulli Secundus wrote:Does anyone know of any amateur club in the Northern Suburbs of Adelaide that are submitting an under 18 team?
Vista and Farm from what I hear
HA'WAY THE LADS

Robbo
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Robbo »

It would be a great thing for the SAASL if we could get a Northern League going for Under 18's.

Wonder if Vale, Gardens, Grove, Inter etc could organize a team each

lefty
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by lefty »

Gardens will be having an Under 18 team in EDJSA this season with some players taking advantage of the dual rego with SAASL to play seniors as well.
I eat football, I sleep football, I breathe football. I'm not mad, I'm just passionate....Thierry Henry

Robbo
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Robbo »

lefty wrote:Gardens will be having an Under 18 team in EDJSA this season with some players taking advantage of the dual rego with SAASL to play seniors as well.
So Elizabeth and Districts as opposed to SAASL Lefty ?

Robbo
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Robbo »

ROBBO wrote:
lefty wrote:Gardens will be having an Under 18 team in EDJSA this season with some players taking advantage of the dual rego with SAASL to play seniors as well.
I meant there will be no SAASL League in 2012 ?

lefty
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by lefty »

ROBBO wrote:
ROBBO wrote:
I meant there will be no SAASL League in 2012 ?
Yes EDJSA however some U18 players will have dual registration to play in SAASL seniors.

I am not aware of SAASL introducing a northern U18 comp it doesnt make sense considering we already have EDJSA comp which in a way is part of the SAASL.
I eat football, I sleep football, I breathe football. I'm not mad, I'm just passionate....Thierry Henry

dj_no.1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by dj_no.1 »

Pretty tough call for a lot of clubs to be able to field a side, most of their older kids fill the spots in the senior teams

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

We don't have an Under 18's side. What we have is a lot of kids from the juniors coming and joining up in a second C team.

Cornflakes
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Cornflakes »

Jay Slowly Running wrote:We don't have an Under 18's side. What we have is a lot of kids from the juniors coming and joining up in a second C team.
Grove have the same!
Most of the boys want to play Seniors when they hit 16-18

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

Cornflakes wrote:
Jay Slowly Running wrote:We don't have an Under 18's side. What we have is a lot of kids from the juniors coming and joining up in a second C team.
Grove have the same!
Our guys are aged more so 18-20 but it would be a similar thing

lefty
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by lefty »

Jay Slowly Running wrote:
Cornflakes wrote:
Grove have the same!
Our guys are aged more so 18-20 but it would be a similar thing
We have a pathway (not sure if we are allowed to use that word) with our juniors at the Gardens. Our under 18 team this year started in U7 in 2000 coached by Danny Powell (Gweet) ever since. Some kids have gone to feds & come back over that time & its great to see some of those kids having a crack at seniors for the first time this year. There will be more in coming years from the U16 teams & below which will continue to feed the Gardens senior teams into the future.

KING NUGGETT
Star Player
Star Player

Post by KING NUGGETT »

This will be the GARDENS STRENGTH into the future the juniors we have developed over the last 12 years, some of the talent GARDENS have developed is a credit to the coaches over the last 12 years.

Hats off to the Gweet, 11 years dedication Coaching his boys all the way to under 18's what fantastic achievement. He must have been so proud last couple of Sunday's watching a couple of his boys running around with the 1st Team...

UUU GARDENS !!!

SAASL DIV.1 CHAMPIONS 73,75,78,02,10,11,13
CHALLENGE CUP WINNERS 74,75,80,08,10,11,13
SAASL DIV.1 RES. CHAMPIONS 71,75,77,78,79,94,11,13
RES. CUP WINNERS 73,75,76,13
CHAMPIONS OF CHAMPIONS 10
CICHANOWSKI SHIELD 90,08,11,12,14

Est.1966

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

KING NUGGETT wrote:This will be the GARDENS STRENGTH into the future the juniors we have developed over the last 12 years, some of the talent GARDENS have developed is a credit to the coaches over the last 12 years.

Hats off to the Gweet, 11 years dedication Coaching his boys all the way to under 18's what fantastic achievement. He must have been so proud last couple of Sunday's watching a couple of his boys running around with the 1st Team...

UUU GARDENS !!!

Hats off to the Gweet...do Gardens allow coaches to coach the same group of lads for more than 3 seasons in a row....I remembered the Downs had a policy to allow only 3 years....to allow a different input...different eyes ?
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

lisbon lion
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by lisbon lion »

swannsong wrote:
KING NUGGETT wrote:This will be the GARDENS STRENGTH into the future the juniors we have developed over the last 12 years, some of the talent GARDENS have developed is a credit to the coaches over the last 12 years.

UUU GARDENS !!!

Hats off to the Gweet...do Gardens allow coaches to coach the same group of lads for more than 3 seasons in a row....I remembered the Downs had a policy to allow only 3 years....to allow a different input...different eyes ?
dont fire him up swanny he has been captain grumpy all week

BPBC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BPBC »

swannsong wrote:

UUU GARDENS !!!

Des Huddy coached his Maroons in the 80's, undefeated 10 years straight i think it was, the whole way through. When was this policy you speak of Swanny? (would have been a pretty ballsy move to move him on after 3 years!)

James
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by James »

BPBC wrote:
swannsong wrote:

UUU GARDENS !!!

Des Huddy coached his Maroons in the 80's, undefeated 10 years straight i think it was, the whole way through. When was this policy you speak of Swanny? (would have been a pretty ballsy move to move him on after 3 years!)
Mick Blackwood / Frankie day also (u6 - 12's)

BPBC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BPBC »

James wrote: Mick Blackwood / Frankie day also (u6 - 12's)
yep pretty sure Jim Wyldman too

KING NUGGETT
Star Player
Star Player

Post by KING NUGGETT »

I believe in 95% of cases it is a good thing to change junior coaches every 3 years. The 5% is Coaches like the Gweet who are passionate about developing there whole squad by giving his average players equal coaching & game time as his elite players. I believe his results & achievements with this Div.1 E&D squad over the last 11 years speaks for itself. Lefty or Rat can you post the Gweets & his Squads Achievements over the past 11 years, I think formitees will find it absolutely incredible...

SAASL DIV.1 CHAMPIONS 73,75,78,02,10,11,13
CHALLENGE CUP WINNERS 74,75,80,08,10,11,13
SAASL DIV.1 RES. CHAMPIONS 71,75,77,78,79,94,11,13
RES. CUP WINNERS 73,75,76,13
CHAMPIONS OF CHAMPIONS 10
CICHANOWSKI SHIELD 90,08,11,12,14

Est.1966

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

BPBC wrote:
swannsong wrote:

UUU GARDENS !!!

When I was a Junior....so sometime in the 1860's :)
Actually it was around 1970....we had a coach 1968-1970....then had to change.....

BlackBrian_7
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BlackBrian_7 »

KING NUGGETT wrote:I believe in 95% of cases it is a good thing to change junior coaches every 3 years. The 5% is Coaches like the Gweet who are passionate about developing there whole squad by giving his average players equal coaching & game time as his elite players. I believe his results & achievements with this Div.1 E&D squad over the last 11 years speaks for itself. Lefty or Rat can you post the Gweets & his Squads Achievements over the past 11 years, I think formitees will find it absolutely incredible...
I think to maintain your passion for coaching for that amount of time is a tremendous achievement.

It wouldn't be easy with all the ups and downs to keep going year after year.

lefty
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by lefty »

KING NUGGETT wrote:I believe in 95% of cases it is a good thing to change junior coaches every 3 years. The 5% is Coaches like the Gweet who are passionate about developing there whole squad by giving his average players equal coaching & game time as his elite players. I believe his results & achievements with this Div.1 E&D squad over the last 11 years speaks for itself. Lefty or Rat can you post the Gweets & his Squads Achievements over the past 11 years, I think formitees will find it absolutely incredible...
The Gweet was very proud to see some of the boys playing in the first team recently & was telling all the boys the other night at the club his coaching record so its fresh in my mind. He was also going to tell his playing career record but it was time to go home.

EDJSA League Winners Div1 - U11, U14, U15 & U16 (Almost went 3 season in a row undefeated from U14 but lost 1 game in U16)
Runner Up Div1 - U10
Third Div1 - U12 & U13
EDJSA Challenge Cup Winner - U10, U15 & U16
Runner Up - U11
Cup Semis - U13 & U14

With his coaching skills he couldve gone along way with them but was committed & loyal to Gardens & his players. His real success is not the trophies but what he's taught the many players he's coached about soccer & life. He always worked with whatever he had & never once has he poached a player.

Its really irrelevant how long someone should coach a team in EDJSA (as opposed to Feds) because the philosophy is about the enjoyment & alot of the times its a parent. Weve had probably 6 coaches at Gardens in recent years that have coached the same teams for 8+yrs straight.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

lefty wrote:
The Gweet was very proud to see some of the boys playing in the first team recently & was telling all the boys the other night at the club his coaching record so its fresh in my mind. He was also going to tell his playing career record but it was time to go home.

EDJSA League Winners Div1 - U11, U14, U15 & U16 (Almost went 3 season in a row undefeated from U14 but lost 1 game in U16)
Runner Up Div1 - U10
Third Div1 - U12 & U13
Runner Up - U11
Cup Semis - U13 & U14

With his coaching skills he couldve gone along way with them but was committed & loyal to Gardens & his players. His real success is not the trophies but what he's taught the many players he's coached about soccer & life. He always worked with whatever he had & never once has he poached a player.

Its really irrelevant how long someone should coach a team in EDJSA (as opposed to Feds) because the philosophy is about the enjoyment & alot of the times its a parent. Weve had probably 6 coaches at Gardens in recent years that have coached the same teams for 8+yrs straight.
You often will get coaches that have long spells with the same group of kids, often can be the parent(s) of one of the boys as it is often hard to get these essential volunteers.
It may work most/sometimes, but I don't think it is irrelevant !
In my time at Elizabeth Downs I experienced many coaches at both junior and senior levels, all had different styles and all passed on some excellent skills and ideas.

On a side note...Why would anyone need to "poach" players if their side has continued success ? Didn't know poaching existed in the E&DJSA.

lefty
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by lefty »

swannsong wrote:
lefty wrote:

Runner Up Div1 - U10
Third Div1 - U12 & U13
Runner Up - U11
Cup Semis - U13 & U14

You often will get coaches that have long spells with the same group of kids, often can be the parent(s) of one of the boys as it is often hard to get these essential volunteers.
It may work most/sometimes, but I don't think it is irrelevant !
In my time at Elizabeth Downs I experienced many coaches at both junior and senior levels, all had different styles and all passed on some excellent skills and ideas.

On a side note...Why would anyone need to "poach" players if their side has continued success ? Didn't know poaching existed in the E&DJSA.
I used the word "poach" but what I was saying is that whoever registered for the team on rego day he coached & never chased player. There would probably be 4-6 different players each year for various reasons so never worked with the same team each year & still achieved success.

jogger
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by jogger »

BPBC wrote:
swannsong wrote:

UUU GARDENS !!!

I remember back when Des was my junior coach. Even took the time to come to my house to hand deliver a get well gift when I broke my leg! Is he still around the downs these days?

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

jogger wrote: I remember back when Des was my junior coach. Even took the time to come to my house to hand deliver a get well gift when I broke my leg! Is he still around the downs these days?
I'm sure if Des is still around he will be around the Club for their 50th Celebrations....remember carrying in the 21st Celebrations birthday cake in 1984 with Des Huddy, Alan Murphy, Mary & Gordon Stevens, Edie Mottram, Ernie Kinsey and others.
Des was an integral part of the Downs Juniors for so long...think his father Harry Huddy had a lot to do with E&DJSA too.

robinfriday10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by robinfriday10 »

Des certainly still going strong coaching my lad at Playford under 15s.......has been great with the boys, works well with matt gaston as his assistant.

funny when i mention his name to people and they tell me he coached their kids 25-30 years ago(probably that downs era)
things happen for a reason

htfac
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by htfac »

BPBC wrote:
swannsong wrote:

UUU GARDENS !!!

I can remember that there was a guideline at the Downs in place to only have a coach for two years as for most of my early junior years my coach changed every couple of years. It was probably because of Des, and the reality of getting junior coaches, that the guidlines were dropped.
I might be wrong but the team that Des coached at the Downs during the later 70's and early 80's had players like Alan Mottram, Richard and David Hughes, Matt Peace, Andy Dreyer, Steve Roach, Andrew (Nobby) Clarke amongst others. He left the Downs and took most of the team to Elizabeth City and has been coaching Feds since.
Last edited by htfac on Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BPBC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BPBC »

htfac wrote:
I can remember that there was a guideline at the Downs in place to only have a coach for two years as for most of my early junior years my coach changed every couple of years. It was probably because of Des, and the reality of getting junior coaches, that the guidlines were dropped.
I might be wrong but the team that Des coached at the Downs during the later 70's and early 80's had players like Alan Mottram, Richard and David Hughes, Matt Peace, Andy Dreyer, Steve Roach, amongst others. He left the Downs and took most of the team to Elizabeth City and has been coaching Feds since.
Not sure of that team wouldn't be surprised if he coached moe than 1. The team he took to 10 years undefeated was from 1980+ names like Matt Koutafidis, Shannon Stacey, Craig McCall, David Fenton, Gelson Pelan and so on.

jackdogs
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by jackdogs »

having coached against gweet for almost 5 years and being in total admiration for the quality of game he had his teams playing. He had some really talented players in his squad but at the same time he gave equal time to those who had lesser ability. He is a great ambassador for the Parafield Gardens Soccer Club.

As a coach of an E&D team for the last 9 years I have come accross a lot of different personalities within the coaching fraternity but all share the same passion, they want to see all their teams and kids enjoy the game and maybe get a win here and there. I am always in admiration of the Lads who coach the teams from Barossa and Districts Club who are always up against the odds getting numbers for games. There kids play with passion even if they are getting smashed on the park, it is a real credit to those involved with the club and their parents.

I cant ever see the need for an Under 18's comp in the amatuer league as E&D clubs provide great feeder not only to their clubs but other clubs in the area. I know of lads who played for Ingle Farm Juniors who played for Bosna in the seniors and held their own against older competition also lads at our club always get the opportunity to train and play with our senior teams.
"I walk the line" Johnny Cash the man in black