"The game is abandoned"

This forum is for the discussion of other football topics including Futsal, Indoor Soccer, 7-a-side, Referees and Rules of the Game

Moderator: Forum Admins

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

"The game is abandoned"

Post by pernunz »

If the referee states that the game has been abandoned, as outlined in the thread title, can he resume it? He did not state the game was suspended, but said, "The game is abandoned" and proceeded to walk off the pitch.

whistler
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: "The game is abandoned"

Post by whistler »

Where did this happen? What was the reason?
If abandoned then that is it - the end

penalty
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by penalty »

Yes the referee can restart play within a reasonable time and after asessing the circamstance of why he might have abandoned the game.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

of course he can restart it if he so chooses, why he would back down is another question though.

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

penalty wrote:Yes the referee can restart play within a reasonable time and after asessing the circamstance of why he might have abandoned the game.
Okay, no worries. I was thinking that if he wanted to restart the game, then he would have to suspend the game, and not abandon it.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

pernunz wrote:
penalty wrote:Yes the referee can restart play within a reasonable time and after asessing the circamstance of why he might have abandoned the game.
Okay, no worries. I was thinking that if he wanted to restart the game, then he would have to suspend the game, and not abandon it.

Depends if you want to use common sense or the strict rules of the English language.

Maybe you should worry about the person who caused the referee to take such drastic measures before worrying about semantics in order to improve your goal difference.

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

3 points off top place in Div 1 8)

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

pernunz wrote:3 points off top place in Div 1 8)

What's that got to do with the game being "abandoned"? How many places will you jump if you get it "abandoned"?

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

None at the moment. The result of an abandoned game would be 3-0 instead of the 6-1 it finished at full time. +2GD for OISC, and -2GD for SPOC.

No worries though, the incident was not major at all.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

pernunz wrote:None at the moment. The result of an abandoned game would be 3-0 instead of the 6-1 it finished at full time. +2GD for OISC, and -2GD for SPOC.

No worries though, the incident was not major at all.
How can a referee "abandoning" a match not be a major issue? I would hope that SPOC and/or OISC are taking matters to censure the person involved.

If they believe that they are innocent then I assume they will be taking up the matter with SAASL and SAASRA.

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

Any issues arising from the game will be dealt with by the club and the SAASL accordingly.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

pernunz wrote:Any issues arising from the game will be dealt with by the club and the SAASL accordingly.
So it was a major incident then?

Love the fact that you raise it on a public forum and then want to keep it "in house". :lol:

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Maybe the pitch became "unplayable" then suddenly the sun came out and everything dried up fit for play again. :wink:
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:Maybe the pitch became "unplayable" then suddenly the sun came out and everything dried up fit for play again. :wink:

was incey wincey spider involved?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Bomber wrote:Maybe the pitch became "unplayable" then suddenly the sun came out and everything dried up fit for play again. :wink:

was incey wincey spider involved?
Someone said it was possible, but I didnt go for it.
Ignore this signature

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

pernunz wrote:Any issues arising from the game will be dealt with by the club and the SAASL accordingly.
So it was a major incident then?
Love the fact that you raise it on a public forum and then want to keep it "in house". :lol:
We won't know if there are any issues from the game until the referee files his report and sends it to the league, and the league then contacts us is there any issues :lol:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

pernunz wrote:We won't know if there are any issues from the game until the referee files his report and sends it to the league, and the league then contacts us is there any issues :lol:
nice to know that you now only consider things to be an issue when it's raised by the league.

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

pernunz wrote:We won't know if there are any issues from the game until the referee files his report and sends it to the league, and the league then contacts us is there any issues :lol:
nice to know that you now only consider things to be an issue when it's raised by the league.
On Saturday we had no issue with the conduct of any of our players or coaches. Aside from the injury our E grade player/coach picked up in a 50/50 challenge. He was in severe pain and we initially thought it may have been an ACL, but it appears to be just a bad knock with bruising.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

pernunz wrote:
On Saturday we had no issue with the conduct of any of our players or coaches. Aside from the injury our E grade player/coach picked up in a 50/50 challenge. He was in severe pain and we initially thought it may have been an ACL, but it appears to be just a bad knock with bruising.
I have to admit I am impressed that already you have addressed the matter and the committee already made it's decision. Obviously, the referee disagreed with you.

Well done to iggies.

Why not just be straight and say what happened though?

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

Because it isn't relevant to the question I asked about refereeing. If you want to know more information about the result/play of an amatuer league match, it should be asked in the appropriate sub-forum, and not in the refereeing thread.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

pernunz wrote:Because it isn't relevant to the question I asked about refereeing. If you want to know more information about the result/play of an amatuer league match, it should be asked in the appropriate sub-forum, and not in the refereeing thread.

Geez we wouldnt want to go off topic would we! :lol:
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

pernunz wrote:Because it isn't relevant to the question I asked about refereeing. If you want to know more information about the result/play of an amatuer league match, it should be asked in the appropriate sub-forum, and not in the refereeing thread.

So you want to bring up an incident about a refereeing decision but then you don't want to give the specifics of the incident :lol:

Love the fact that you want to put things in the public domain but not then talk about and hide away when the going gets tough.

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

A player was shown a red card for pointing to his own shoulder to indicate the player talking to the ref was the captain. The referee viewed this as an offensive gesture. The coach, obviously upset, told the referee he would lodge a complaint, and the referee abandoned the game

Shall we now talk about why you were banned from your previous club, when you decided to punch someone after being sent off?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

pernunz wrote:A player was shown a red card for pointing to his own shoulder to indicate the player talking to the ref was the captain. The referee viewed this as an offensive gesture. The coach, obviously upset, told the referee he would lodge a complaint, and the referee abandoned the game

Shall we now talk about why you were banned from your previous club, when you decided to punch someone after being sent off?
Funny how the story I have been told includes another step between the coach telling the ref about the report and the game being abandoned. Are you sure you're not missing something? Are you sure you're not missing the most important part?

Why did the player feel it relevant to point to his armband? Surely a senior player would know the armband carries no weight whatsoever. Let alone in the manner that he obviously did so.

Happy to talk about that incident if you so desire but you appear to have already told everyone. Very sad that you have to resort to personal incidents when discussing this match incident.

BUT do you think this is the correct sub forum to discuss this? I wouldn't want to upset your belief in posting everything in it's correct place.

penalty
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by penalty »

Coach was tod tp leave the technical area and go to change room or clu room. Coach refued. Ref informed him that if he does no go the game will be abandoned.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

penalty wrote:Coach was tod tp leave the technical area and go to change room or clu room. Coach refued. Ref informed him that if he does no go the game will be abandoned.
Funny how pernunz missed that part of the story out. :lol:

So the truth comes out, the coach was sent off, refused to leave, so the ref "abandoned" the game (or did he abandon it as the 2 sides don't match). So a coach and a player was sent off, the coach refused to leave the area but apparently no one at oisc did anything wrong. :lol:

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

penalty wrote:Coach was tod tp leave the technical area and go to change room or clu room. Coach refued. Ref informed him that if he does no go the game will be abandoned.

Suggest you get some advice from Barney Smith and his then Comets (feds) colleagues as they had similar occur about a year and a half ago.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:

Suggest you get some advice from Barney Smith and his then Comets (feds) colleagues as they had similar occur about a year and a half ago.

Wasn't Barney banned as well? How many games?

Pity really as the one dealing I had with this bloke he came across as a decent and reasonable person as well.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Bomber wrote:

Wasn't Barney banned as well? How many games?

Pity really as the one dealing I had with this bloke he came across as a decent and reasonable person as well.
He is a good bloke, but very passionate too and I suppose this can by read in different ways by different people. From memory he got 2 games "on the sidelines" and a small fine but the referee was reprimanded too (why, I'm not so sure).
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:He is a good bloke, but very passionate too and I suppose this can by read in different ways by different people. From memory he got 2 games "on the sidelines" and a small fine but the referee was reprimanded too (why, I'm not so sure).

I actually meant the guy from this weekends refusal, I have never met Barney.