GARDENS vs DOWNS Sun 24/6/12

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

lefty
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

GARDENS vs DOWNS Sun 24/6/12

Post by lefty »

Cant believe its Round 9 already :o

If theres not already enough to play for in the biggest game of the season with two undefeated teams that have built up a fantastic rivalry in recent years. Downs of course celebrating there 50th year & going all out to win the league this season. Gardens coming off back to back league & cup wins will celebrate with a reunion for the 10th anniversary of their 2002 championship which was won against the Downs at their ground. We will also have several players from our 1975 league & cup winning team joining in & Frankie Day is welcome to join us in the VIP tent (we even have a Gardens strip for him to wear).

I dont have team photos to upload (Swanny maybe you can help with yearbook photos pls) but I do have the team lists;
2002 "Too Old Too Slow Too Good"
Barry Cook (coach), Derek Rayner (trainer), Noel Flounders, Birt Nguedem, Terry Williams, Jon Foat, Andy McPhee, Mat Tape, Barry Crook, Stuart Smith, Carl Mazza, Mark McConnell, Mal Thomas, Petr Nezda, Simon Spear, Steve Cook, Ray Coull & Peter Dodds

G Hanstock (coach), K Hobbs (trainer), H Brown, G Butler, I Miles, D Noonan, F Pit, R Beale, J Lovatt, M Williams, F Day, B Pit, B Groom, J Eadsforth & K Maughan

The 2002 Gardens team will also be having a dinner at Mawson Lakes Hotel Sat 23/6/12 at 7pm contact Jon Foat.

Just to make things a little more interesting from the sidelines (no penalty shootouts) I put out a challenge to Downs Pres Mr Knobby Clarke that if Downs win I will come down & lick their club window on the return leg. However if Gardens win Mr Clarke must lick our club window after the game. If its a draw both clubs must lick their own. Photos must be taken & posted on Footballnews by Mr Vino.

Should be a great day down at Bradman Road hopefully the weather is kind so we can enjoy some entertaining SAASL soccer at its best. We will have the Coopers caravan out thanks to Mawson Lakes Hotel with $5 Pales for The Window Lickers & $7 for The Money Mongs :wink: .

GO U GARDENS :!:
I eat football, I sleep football, I breathe football. I'm not mad, I'm just passionate....Thierry Henry

Left Right Out
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: GARDENS vs DOWNS Sun 24/6/12

Post by Left Right Out »

Sounds Great Lefty,

I hope for all involved its a great day!

1975 & 2002 Reunion should be good and its a great thing to do.

Good luck to all involved!

From Memory - Didnt that year come down to the last game at the Downs? Doddsy came on and got the winner! Was in Darwin but remember it well!

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Also in 1975....

....and

Image Image
I scored a penalty at Findon....(although we lost 7-6 :( )
Last edited by swannsong on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Cantona.7
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Cantona.7 »

Should be a great game.
Good Luck to both sides.

ExtraTime
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by ExtraTime »

Left Right Out wrote:Sounds Great Lefty,

From Memory - Didnt that year come down to the last game at the Downs? Doddsy came on and got the winner! Was in Darwin but remember it well!
2nd to last game of the season ... 1 point was needed from the last 2 games. Last game was against Eastside Jets

Yes Doddsey scored in injury time

Rodent
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rodent »

bloodypassit wrote:
Left Right Out wrote:Sounds Great Lefty,

2nd to last game of the season ... 1 point was needed from the last 2 games. Last game was against Eastside Jets

Yes Doddsey scored in injury time
To say Doddsy scored is debatable.... It was more like his shin made contact with the ball in front of goal ..!!
Every Rat has his day !!

ExtraTime
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by ExtraTime »

See you Sunday rodent

robinfriday10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by robinfriday10 »

Enjoyed the sunday mail read swanny, many former amateur names in Fed scores
Larry moore, Inter(Elizabeth)
Les Matiszack snr, coached nab?Victoria
Joe waxman, Parafield???Victoria
Jock Coull
Tim alder, beograd(former inter coach)
Les Mcgowan,salisbury(inter,florina,grove)
SWAN????which one??
Fennell,modbury (north east utd) RIP
Slager,croatia (Modbury Vista
things happen for a reason

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

robinfriday10 wrote:Enjoyed the sunday mail read swanny, many former amateur names in Fed scores
Jock Coull
SWAN????which one??
Dave...he played for Downs, APAC, Elizabeth City, Enfield Victoria, Inter, Rostrevor, Greenock...in that order I think !
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Chico
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chico »

robinfriday10 wrote:Enjoyed the sunday mail read swanny, many former amateur names in Fed scores
Jock Coull
SWAN????which one??
I assume I'll see you there Robin?

robinfriday10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by robinfriday10 »

NO. :(
things happen for a reason

lefty
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by lefty »

Cheers Swanny great work as always. I will make sure you have a spot in the VIP tent if your heading down with your camera.

I ommitted one player in my 2002 list who appeared in the yearbook photo Ken (Glen) Zaworski who unfortunatley didnt play that year due to injury in preseason.

We could even see former MU Findon legend & player of the year including leading goalscorer in 1975 Alby Soang making an appearance.
I eat football, I sleep football, I breathe football. I'm not mad, I'm just passionate....Thierry Henry

KING NUGGETT
Star Player
Star Player

Post by KING NUGGETT »

COME ON UUUUU GARDENS!

SAASL DIV.1 CHAMPIONS 73,75,78,02,10,11,13
CHALLENGE CUP WINNERS 74,75,80,08,10,11,13
SAASL DIV.1 RES. CHAMPIONS 71,75,77,78,79,94,11,13
RES. CUP WINNERS 73,75,76,13
CHAMPIONS OF CHAMPIONS 10
CICHANOWSKI SHIELD 90,08,11,12,14

Est.1966

PASC
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PASC »

lefty wrote:Cant believe its Round 9 already :o

If theres not already enough to play for in the biggest game of the season with two undefeated teams that have built up a fantastic rivalry in recent years. Downs of course celebrating there 50th year & going all out to win the league this season. Gardens coming off back to back league & cup wins will celebrate with a reunion for the 10th anniversary of their 2002 championship which was won against the Downs at their ground. We will also have several players from our 1975 league & cup winning team joining in & Frankie Day is welcome to join us in the VIP tent (we even have a Gardens strip for him to wear).

I dont have team photos to upload (Swanny maybe you can help with yearbook photos pls) but I do have the team lists;
2002 "Too Old Too Slow Too Good"
Barry Cook (coach), Derek Rayner (trainer), Noel Flounders, Birt Nguedem, Terry Williams, Jon Foat, Andy McPhee, Mat Tape, Barry Crook, Stuart Smith, Carl Mazza, Mark McConnell, Mal Thomas, Petr Nezda, Simon Spear, Steve Cook, Ray Coull & Peter Dodds

G Hanstock (coach), K Hobbs (trainer), H Brown, G Butler, I Miles, D Noonan, F Pit, R Beale, J Lovatt, M Williams, F Day, B Pit, B Groom, J Eadsforth & K Maughan

The 2002 Gardens team will also be having a dinner at Mawson Lakes Hotel Sat 23/6/12 at 7pm contact Jon Foat.

Just to make things a little more interesting from the sidelines (no penalty shootouts) I put out a challenge to Downs Pres Mr Knobby Clarke that if Downs win I will come down & lick their club window on the return leg. However if Gardens win Mr Clarke must lick our club window after the game. If its a draw both clubs must lick their own. Photos must be taken & posted on Footballnews by Mr Vino.

Should be a great day down at Bradman Road hopefully the weather is kind so we can enjoy some entertaining SAASL soccer at its best. We will have the Coopers caravan out thanks to Mawson Lakes Hotel with $5 Pales for The Window Lickers & $7 for The Money Mongs :wink: .

GO U GARDENS :!:
not sure if Peter Nedza will make it.... :?
God is an Englishman wrote: As for me being a tosser on this forum, it's not just on the forum. I'm a tosser in real life as well.