Hillsborough Report

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

sephiroth
Squad Player
Squad Player

Hillsborough Report

Post by sephiroth »

wow. watch all the pressers live.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19570810#TWEET225020

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Hillsborough Report

Post by bapa »

Key Points

- The prime minister makes a "proper apology" to the families of those that have died. "I am profoundly sorry," he says
- Former Sun editor Kelvin MacKenzie, who wrote the headline The Truth, has offered his "profuse apologies to the people of Liverpool"
- David Crompton, chief constable of South Yorkshire Police, "profoundly apologises" to both the families of the 96 Hillsborough victims and Liverpool fans in general
- The panel finds that a total of 41 people out of 96 "had the potential to be saved" beyond the 1515 time determined by the original inquest
- The report finds flaws in the police operation and new evidence that the police carried out checks on those who had died in order to "impugn their reputations"
- The report finds 164 statements were "significantly amended" and 116 "removed negative comments" about policing operation

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

The report states a similar "near disaster" event could have happen at Hillsborough in 1981, and subsequent ground modifications actually increased dangers. There were further problems in 1987 and 1988. Ultimately, the risks were known and tragedy was forseeable

Nearly happened in 1985 in Luton, but it was easier to blame football hooliganism.
1257: Lib Dem Simon Hughes says today's evidence shows "football supporters were abused and villified without justification".
Still happening to this day by the police.

It's been pretty obvious from day 1 that there were many different people to blame here but hearing that ambulances weren't allowed access etc is terrible. I do believe there are MANY people and MANY authorities to blame on this.

Pity we've already played in sheffield this year, the chant of "murderers" ringing round the ground the old bill would have been fun.

Ahmet Papadopoulous
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Ahmet Papadopoulous »

You could still draw them in the FA Cup.
A signature has the effect of "signing off" the message indicating that no more response follows. It is common practice for a signature to contain some brief information on the author of the message, but not in this case.

Stewie Griffin
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Stewie Griffin »

May their families have some Peace :(

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

Stewie Griffin wrote:May their families have some Peace :(

at last!

harrycripps
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by harrycripps »

God is an Englishman wrote:
The report states a similar "near disaster" event could have happen at Hillsborough in 1981, and subsequent ground modifications actually increased dangers. There were further problems in 1987 and 1988. Ultimately, the risks were known and tragedy was forseeable

Nearly happened in 1985 in Luton, but it was easier to blame football hooliganism.
1257: Lib Dem Simon Hughes says today's evidence shows "football supporters were abused and villified without justification".

Correct. I was at the cup game at Luton. Police allowed the gates to be opened to allow anyone into the Millwall end. Kids were getting crushed at the front and their parents were lifting them onto the pitch for safety only for the police to push them back into the crowd. The parents reacted and the trouble started.

What was the media response? Horses on the pitch to combat hooligans LOL

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

harrycripps wrote:

Correct. I was at the cup game at Luton. Police allowed the gates to be opened to allow anyone into the Millwall end. Kids were getting crushed at the front and their parents were lifting them onto the pitch for safety only for the police to push them back into the crowd. The parents reacted and the trouble started.

What was the media response? Horses on the pitch to combat hooligans LOL

I wasn't there, too young for a night away game then but mates were there and that has always been there take on it.

Look at the MP making the statement as well, he's a Millwall season ticket holder. He of all people should know how football fans are treated by the police.

Los Del Eague
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Los Del Eague »

Camerons speech last night is going to go down in history as one of the most important government speeches ever.
The evidence is overwhelming and almost unbelievable, I hoped, but never thought this amount of deceit would be acknowledged and publicised.
Whatever team you support, whatever your previous views on this.......this report is massive for football fans the world over.
The young boys said unto him....."go up baldhead, go up"......so he did, rose like a salmon and nodded the ball into the net......1 nil! :-)

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

agree 100%.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Los Del Eague wrote:Camerons speech last night is going to go down in history as one of the most important government speeches ever.
The evidence is overwhelming and almost unbelievable, I hoped, but never thought this amount of deceit would be acknowledged and publicised.
Whatever team you support, whatever your previous views on this.......this report is massive for football fans the world over.

and still the mickeys will hate him because he's a tory

BANYA
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BANYA »

Los Del Eague wrote:Camerons speech last night is going to go down in history as one of the most important government speeches ever.
+1

Now we have the Truth, Lets see the Justice for the 96...

Justice for the 96, You'll Never Walk Alone...
WHY DO THEY CALL IT OVALTINE? I MEAN ITS ROUND, WHY DONT THEY CALL IT ROUNDTINE.

Gabon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Gabon »

BANYA wrote:
+1

Now we have the Truth, Lets see the Justice for the 96...

Justice for the 96, You'll Never Walk Alone...

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

For those that have read this report:

Who did they blame for the opening of the main gates and the reasoning behind this?

Who also was to blame for the fans all going to the section behind the goal and the reasoning behind this?

Before any of the mickeys jump up and down I am genuinely interested in this as to me these are the main causes of this tragic incident.

BANYA
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BANYA »

God is an Englishman wrote:For those that have read this report:

Who did they blame for the opening of the main gates and the reasoning behind this?

Who also was to blame for the fans all going to the section behind the goal and the reasoning behind this?

Before any of the mickeys jump up and down I am genuinely interested in this as to me these are the main causes of this tragic incident.
They blamed the Chief Superintendent of the South Yorkshire Police for opening up the Exit Gates. This was done as Hillsbourough had road works around it at the time and they felt it safer to get the crowds in ASAP as the Ticket Turnstiles were backing up. They then failed to close the opening to the Middle/Centre Pen of the Leppings Lane End and direct the crowds to the left and right hand side pens... We all know what happened next... Obviously a lot more detail in the report but that is the gist...
WHY DO THEY CALL IT OVALTINE? I MEAN ITS ROUND, WHY DONT THEY CALL IT ROUNDTINE.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

BANYA wrote:

They blamed the Chief Superintendent of the South Yorkshire Police for opening up the Exit Gates. This was done as Hillsbourough had road works around it at the time and they felt it safer to get the crowds in ASAP as the Ticket Turnstiles were backing up. They then failed to close the opening to the Middle/Centre Pen of the Leppings Lane End and direct the crowds to the left and right hand side pens... We all know what happened next... Obviously a lot more detail in the report but that is the gist...

So are they not saying there were ticketless liverpool fans anymore?

I've also often wondered, you see the guys climing up at the back to get away. Were they penned in and the people at the back couldn't just walk back out?

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

I think the ticketless accusation was Police doctoring, was watching Sky News 24 and they had a guy picking through the report and he highlighted this.

And the pens were apparently locked once they were full so no more could get in. No one in, no one out?

BANYA
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BANYA »

BANYA wrote:

So are they not saying there were ticketless liverpool fans anymore?

I've also often wondered, you see the guys climing up at the back to get away. Were they penned in and the people at the back couldn't just walk back out?
Correct, there were never any "Drunken, Ticket-Less" fans rushing the Stadium as LIED about by the South Yorkshire Police...

In regards to the people turning around and walking out? One would think that the crushing wouldn't have occurred if one could turn around and walk out, which I'm sure they tried. Cant imagine I would want to wait my turn in line with people being crushed around me, I would want any way out, which may have been being pulled up to the tier above...

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

[quote="BANYA"]I understand that with the 2nd part and obviously it wasn't possible but have always been intrigued as to why not. Always wondered if the people right at the back realised what was happening in the front.

I know this is not politically correct but not drunk and not ticketless - this was football in the 80's where most lots were drunk and ticketless. However, the part of rushing the gates. I'd never actually heard that until now.

I take the piss out of a lot of things but have always said there are a lot of people to blame here and this could have happened anyweek in any football ground in England at the time. It was just a miracle that it hadn't happened before.

BANYA
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BANYA »

BANYA wrote:I understand that with the 2nd part and obviously it wasn't possible but have always been intrigued as to why not. Always wondered if the people right at the back realised what was happening in the front.

I know this is not politically correct but not drunk and not ticketless - this was football in the 80's where most lots were drunk and ticketless. However, the part of rushing the gates. I'd never actually heard that until now.

I take the piss out of a lot of things but have always said there are a lot of people to blame here and this could have happened anyweek in any football ground in England at the time. It was just a miracle that it hadn't happened before.
So true... In the report it makes mention of this and states that the Ground itself was structurally unsafe and this was noted by the FA 1987 from memory (year may be wrong but was definitely in the 80's). Either way thank shiraz the families have closure as everybody deserves the truth... Now it's time for Justice, someone/bodies must be held accountable for the lies and fabrications of the past 23yrs...

There is also stuff in there about the police taking Blood Alcohol samples from the dead and other patrons etc but I just quickly skim read through this part so i cant elaborate. Tonight I will take my time and digest it fully... YNWA

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

I think the FA, Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield City Council will all be sweating bullets over this too as it was confirmed in the reports that the ground didn’t have a valid safety certificate either. Don’t understand why Old Trafford wasn’t used the first time round.

BANYA
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BANYA »

As a nice gesture to the 96 lost souls I think all crowds, in all the stadiums, in the PL this weekend should sing 1 chorus of 'You'll Never Walk Alone'... May sound silly but I think that this would be a fantastic gesture by the wider football community in England and would be much appreciated and well received by LFC and all the families and friends who lost a loved one 23yrs ago...

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

BANYA wrote:As a nice gesture to the 96 lost souls I think all crowds, in all the stadiums, in the PL this weekend should sing 1 chorus of 'You'll Never Walk Alone'... May sound silly but I think that this would be a fantastic gesture by the wider football community in England and would be much appreciated and well received by LFC and all the families and friends who lost a loved one 23yrs ago...

NO CHANCE!!

Do you really think man u are going to sing the scouse anthem. I know that there's no way any Millwall fan would sing that song no matter what happened. The whole ground go blow up with every scouser in it and still that song wouldn't be sung.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

I will give my recall of the day later when I get home.

I try not to think about it, but the past few days have made me a lot, and I remember it all. Being in the Leppings Lane, I was close to the events (I was seated).

And please don't all jump to conclusions when I put this sentence in...as I will go into more detail later.

When I arrived at the ground I had never seen so many people looking for tickets as that day. Wembley finals included. And these were the days I went to every game, I was young, single and had spare money to spend on travelling the country.

As I said I will recount my memories later.

And GIAE the England fans did it in a game afterwards, it was my first game I went to after the tragedy, I think it was 10days later? It was moving then, but it doesn't need to be done now.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

NickyTanner wrote:And GIAE the England fans did it in a game afterwards, it was my first game I went to after the tragedy, I think it was 10days later? It was moving then, but it doesn't need to be done now.
England fans maybe (with so many different teams - you wouldn't notice the man u fan not singing) but surely you can understand that the likes of chelsea, Millwall and man u would have no part of this.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

NickyTanner wrote:When I arrived at the ground I had never seen so many people looking for tickets as that day. Wembley finals included. And these were the days I went to every game, I was young, single and had spare money to spend on travelling the country.
This is what I mean, in those days everyone was doing it. The scousers were well known for touting tickets for events. Need a ticket for a sporting event in England - ask a scouser.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

NickyTanner wrote:And GIAE the England fans did it in a game afterwards, it was my first game I went to after the tragedy, I think it was 10days later? It was moving then, but it doesn't need to be done now.
England fans maybe (with so many different teams - you wouldn't notice the man u fan not singing) but surely you can understand that the likes of chelsea, Millwall and man u would have no part of this.
I agree with you. I wouldn't sing the utd song....do they have one?

I do respect a silence for others though...no need to go into when there should br one or not, if there is one it should be observed.

Just like the National Anthem, sing or keep quiet!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

NickyTanner wrote:
I agree with you. I wouldn't sing the utd song....do they have one?

I do respect a silence for others though...no need to go into when there should br one or not, if there is one it should be observed.

Just like the National Anthem, sing or keep quiet!

always respect a minutes silence, even if you don't agree with the need for one.

wouldn't there song that one they sing about being the "pride of all europe, the grenache of the north".

It used to make me laugh watching a bloke at iggies (liverpool supporter) singing the iggies club song to the same tune :lol:

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Daily Telegraph wrote:The report finds that the safety of the crowd admitted to the Leppings Lane terrace was “compromised at every level”, and there was clear evidence of the failings from previous semi-finals at Hillsborough.
Before the 1981 FA Cup semi-final between Tottenham and Wolves there was a serious crush on the same terrace, in which many people were injured and fatalities narrowly avoided. Following the incident, there was a breakdown in the relationship between Sheffield Wednesday and South Yorkshire Police.
The club refused to accept the seriousness of the incident and held the police responsible. It is apparent the stadium failed to meet minimum safety standards for sports grounds. Proposals to feed supporters from designated turnstiles to specific pens were not acted on because Wednesday’s primary concern was to limit costs. There was a delayed kick-off at the 1987 FA Cup semi-final there and crushing at the 1988 semi-final.
So, not the first time it had happened, just not to the same extent.

Daily Telegraph wrote:Briefings held by senior police officers focused on potential crowd disorder, alcohol consumption, ticketless fans, and the difficulties of managing Liverpool supporters. It is apparent the police prioritised crowd control over crowd safety.
There was clear evidence the turnstiles at the Leppings Lane end could not process the required number of fans before kick off yet the growing danger was ignored. Senior police officers’ decision-making was hampered by poor communications, a malfunctioning radio system and the design of the police control box.
Superintendent Roger Marshall was responsible for policing outside the stadium. As the crush at the turnstiles became severe he requested the opening of exit gates to allow fans in and relieve crowd pressure. Chief Superintendent Duckenfield authorised the opening. Despite a clear view from the control box and CCTV monitors, neither Duckenfield nor his assistant, the experienced Superintendent Bernard Murray, anticipated the impact on the already packed central pens of fans.
The crush at the Leppings Lane turnstiles outside the stadium was not caused by fans arriving ‘late’. The turnstiles were inadequate to process the crowd safely, and the rate of entry insufficient to prevent a dangerous build-up outside the ground.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

sephiroth
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by sephiroth »

front page of The Sun this morning (small amount of credit where it's due):