Proof futsal can help outdoor. One for the futsal haters

This forum is for the discussion of other football topics including Futsal, Indoor Soccer, 7-a-side, Referees and Rules of the Game

Moderator: Forum Admins

GK1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Proof futsal can help outdoor. One for the futsal haters

Post by GK1 »

When Tom Rogic makes it onto the park for the Socceroos, he will achieve an historic first in Australian football – the first player to represent Australia’s senior national team at both indoor and outdoor level.

And as Australia yearns for a creative talent to fill a void in the Socceroos line-up, Rogic’s path to his selection in the Socceroos squad to face South Korea hints at a trick being missed in our development system.

Futsal is a sport that footballers around the world – especially in South America – thrive on in their formative years. In Brazil, for example, the likes of Pele, Zico, Pato, Ronaldo, Kaka and Ronaldinho hail the role of futsal in their rise to the top.

Simon Keith, who captained Rogic in the Futsalroos line-up when he made his debut in 2010, told foxsports.com.au that Rogic’s selection undermines those in Australian football who believe the indoor version of the game harms a player’s development, rather than aiding it.

“Futsal’s only an amateur sport … and not given a lot of due respect in the outdoor circuit,” Keith explained.

“Coaches push players not to play. You get semi-professional outdoor players being told they can’t pay futsal – if only they knew.

“There needs to be a general switch. Look at decent outdoor countries and listen to players like Ronaldinho, Zinedine Zidane, Pele – they’ve all played futsal, but in Australia, the coaches are saying no.”

Keith, whose 15-year career started in 1995, before being involved at Futsalroos level from 2000, has seen everything futsal in this country has had to offer in recent times.

And he hails Rogic as “the best player I’ve ever played with”.

“He was only 17 when I played with him … he was raw as an indoor player, but technically, he was the best player I’d ever played with,” Keith said.

“He had everything: change of pace, skills, touch. He wasn’t a typical futsal player. He was an outstanding kid, good mentality, level headed, great left foot, strong on the ball, quick on the mark, skills to beat a player.”

Futsalroos coach Steve Knight told foxsports.com.au from Bangkok, where he is leading Australia’s charge at the FIFA Futsal World Cup, that Rogic always showed signs of quality.

“Tom was a big part of the 2010 AFC Asian Championship squad in Uzbekistan being the top scorer for the Futsalroos and the fourth leading goal scorer in the tournament at eighteen years of age,” he said.

“He obviously showed his quality at that age and he has gone on to bigger and better exercises with football and we wish him all the best with his adventures with the Socceroos.”

Holger Osieck and the Socceroos are lucky that Rogic ended up back in the outdoor system at all. He was overlooked for traditional pathways to the Socceroos, before his involvement with the Nike academy.

And Keith reveals that futsal played a pivotal role in steering him in the right direction.

“After Indonesia (AFC Futsal Championship ASEAN Zone qualifiers in 2010), where he didn’t play a lot … we got back to Australia and (coach) Steve Knight and I sat him down and had a few words,” Keith revealed.

“We told him: pull your finger out, you could be anything, kid.

“I haven’t spoken to him much since … but I’m ecstatic for what’s happened. He deserves it, always had that potential.”

Rogic took the advice on and worked on his speed and agility at the AIS, as well as with the Mariners.

And if he hadn’t knuckled down and been spotted by the Mariners, Keith has no doubt where he would be right now.

“He’s obviously done the hard yards, but, if he hadn’t made it, he’d be in Thailand right now with the Futsalroos at the FIFA Futsal World Cup. That’s a 100 per cent guarantee,” he said.

Australia’s national futsal side face Argentina in the final match in Group D of the FIFA Futsal World Cup in Thailand on Thursday. After a loss to Italy and a win against Mexico, an upset win would seal progression, while a draw or narrow loss could still see them progress depending on other results.

Well done Tommy.

chuck norris
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Proof futsal can help outdoor. One for the futsal haters

Post by chuck norris »

I don't think there are 'haters' persay but merely those who lack the enlightenment of a futsal education ;)

whistle_blower
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by whistle_blower »

Not meaning to undermine what is great achievement on the part of Tom Rogic (because what he has achieved is a GREAT achievement) I need to clarify that this article is in fact in correct.

The Futsalroos team that went to the 1989 FIFA Futsal World Cup was as follows:
1 Jeffrey OLVER
2 Alan DAVIDSON
3 Steven JACKSON
4 Robert HOOKER
5 Oscar CRINO
6 Paul TRIMBOLI
7 Robert DUNN
8 Jason POLAK
9 Warren SPINK
10 Kenneth MURPHY
11 Zarko ODZAKOV
12 Ernest TAPAI

I am sure a few people will recognise some of the names from this team as former Socceroos!

However, Tom is a great footballer/futsaller who deserves all the accolades that he gets and hopefully futsal gets some positive press off the back of his achievement.

GK1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by GK1 »

I think you will find that those Socceroos mentioned were already playing outdoor. This is someone that has come from the Futsalroos.

whistle_blower
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by whistle_blower »

GK1 wrote:When Tom Rogic makes it onto the park for the Socceroos, he will achieve an historic first in Australian football – the first player to represent Australia’s senior national team at both indoor and outdoor level.
The quote above is incorrect. It doesn't say anything about playing futsal before football.
:P

GK1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by GK1 »

My post was to highlight that he was the first player to play for the Futsalroos then socceroos to prove that Futsal is a legitimate pathway to success.