WOMEN IN MENS COMPS

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

gee_kay
Star Player
Star Player

WOMEN IN MENS COMPS

Post by gee_kay »

Not sure if this has been asked but why are women not allowed to play in the mens comp. Surely sticking some Lady Reds in mens comps will help them more than playing in what is a rabble of a state comp here?
Follow me on Twitter @gee_kay10

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: WOMEN IN MENS COMPS

Post by Red-4-Life »

Barbieri played in goals for Richmond in the VPL I believe

gee_kay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gee_kay »

she was pigeonholed in the under 21's side i believe
Follow me on Twitter @gee_kay10

Fatboy
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Fatboy »

Gee_Kay, is this not the purpose of the NTC program to play a team of 16 - 22 YO females in a male comp?? Albeit an U15 JPL comp....
Haven't you heard this was how our "Elite Women" where to progress, playing Junior Boys (no disrespect to those U15 Boys teams). No wonder the Lady Reds finished LAST, again!
Only 11 players from the NTC Squad made the Lady Reds team (the highest level of SA Football) out of 21. 4 where interstate and the rest International players (counting MJ).

Men and Women are physiologically different, one is meant to hunt and gather, the other is to nurture and not hunt and gather (I will let you decide which is which). However there is talk and speculation that women someday in the not too distant future, maybe playing First Class Cricket together, representing Australia side by side. IMO this maybe a catalyst to opening the flood gates to Sports Marketers eyes to the endless money making opportunities. Is The World Game one of these?? Maybe?? But I do not think it will happen in my lifetime. If we cannot get female referees to be the Centre or even Linesperson, in some A-Legaue games, then what hope do we have of female players, competing at the same level also.

Rant Over..

Good luck to all teams: Girls, Boys, Collegiate, Amatuers, Womens and Mens for the upcoming Season.

Armageddon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Armageddon »

Fatboy wrote:Gee_Kay, is this not the purpose of the NTC program to play a team of 16 - 22 YO females in a male comp?? Albeit an U15 JPL comp....
Haven't you heard this was how our "Elite Women" where to progress, playing Junior Boys (no disrespect to those U15 Boys teams). No wonder the Lady Reds finished LAST, again!
Only 11 players from the NTC Squad made the Lady Reds team (the highest level of SA Football) out of 21. 4 where interstate and the rest International players (counting MJ).

Men and Women are physiologically different, one is meant to hunt and gather, the other is to nurture and not hunt and gather (I will let you decide which is which). However there is talk and speculation that women someday in the not too distant future, maybe playing First Class Cricket together, representing Australia side by side. IMO this maybe a catalyst to opening the flood gates to Sports Marketers eyes to the endless money making opportunities. Is The World Game one of these?? Maybe?? But I do not think it will happen in my lifetime. If we cannot get female referees to be the Centre or even Linesperson, in some A-Legaue games, then what hope do we have of female players, competing at the same level also.

Rant Over..

Good luck to all teams: Girls, Boys, Collegiate, Amatuers, Womens and Mens for the upcoming Season.
NTC girls did really well in the boys comp too..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

I remember attending a coaching course in the late 90's, and there was a lady on the course as well, who asked the question about the comparison between the Men's + Women's game. The coach running the course responded, well the matildas have just played a NSW U/15 boys select side in a trial game and lost 5-0.

Clever Trevor
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Clever Trevor »

A high % of women playing high level sport have masculine qualities, so why can't they play against the boys?

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Interesting question, but an issue fraught with ambiguities. And it implies that female athletes that aren't 'butch' are somehow inferior as athletes. Looks like a minefield to me.

BillShankly
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BillShankly »

there is a junior girl playing in a blue eagles boys under 16 side i believe.
very talented young player, hopefully she does well and paves the way for other girls.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

There are plenty of junior girls playing in the boys comp. and, to be honest, if a girl has aspirations to elite football, that's the way to go. But the whole 'masculine qualities' comment, when It comes to older footballers, is a bit objectionable to me, as it interjects gender into the argument. Can you be a "feminine" footballer and compete with the guys? I think so, if you're a truly elite player.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

gee_kay wrote:Not sure if this has been asked but why are women not allowed to play in the mens comp. Surely sticking some Lady Reds in mens comps will help them more than playing in what is a rabble of a state comp here?
But of mens football would they be up to playing Gee Kay? There's no point throwing them in the deep end to watch them drown, but then the issue comes that the lower you go in mens football quite often it becomes more physical, which then becomes pointless as women need to work on their football not their brute strength.

Caretaker Coach
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Caretaker Coach »

I think it was mentioned about 7 posts ago that the Matildas are are about the level of a state boys U 15 side. I am sure you can calculate from there what level the elite SA women's soccer players should play.