Liverpool reject Fair Play route into Europa League

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Liverpool reject Fair Play route into Europa League

Post by getborn »

Liverpool will reject the chance to qualify for Europe through the back door after committing to a lucrative pre-season tour of the Southern Hemisphere.

Liverpool have the second best disciplinary record in the Barclays Premier League, but they are expected to qualify for the Europa League via UEFA’s Fair Play League because Arsenal, who have the best disciplinary record, are odds on to be in Europe anyway.

England are fourth in the Fair Play League behind Norway, Sweden and Finland. Three teams qualify through the league.

Liverpool have received 51 yellow cards and two red cards. The 10-match ban Luis Suarez received for biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic last month does not count against them because it was retrospective action, which is not considered.

However, teams making the Europa League via that method start out in the first week of July, with the second qualifying round on July 18 and July 25, and that cuts across Liverpool commitments in Indonesia and Australia.

Liverpool have never played in either of those countries and their visit has created huge interest.
The club have put a lot of energy into ensuring the tour goes smoothly and a game in Melbourne on July 24 at the iconic MCG against Melbourne Victory is already a 90,000 sell-out.

After that, Brendan Rodgers’ side will also play a lucrative game on July 29 against Thailand.
Rodgers is anxious for Liverpool to compete domestically and in Europe but he would rather do it in the conventional way.

He said: ‘We want to get into it with our performance level and it’s highly unlikely we’d get that route.’
UEFA have confirmed that, if Chelsea were to finish fifth in the Premier League and win the Europa League, the sixth-placed league team would not gain entry into Europe.

UEFA give three Europa League places to England each year. Two are already taken — by Swansea, who won the Capital One Cup, and FA Cup finalists Wigan. Rodgers thinks Liverpool may be helped next season by not having extra commitments.

‘If we have a year where we are not in it, it’s going to give us an opportunity to push on,’ he said.

‘There’s also a pride thing. You want to get in it by performing and through (your league) positions.’

Rodgers’ first foray into Europe as a manager ended in the Europa League’s round of 32 this year, when Liverpool were beaten by Zenit St Petersburg on away goals, but they played 12 games in the tournament, the first of which was in Belarus on August 2.

‘It was a long journey this year and — don’t get me wrong — we enjoyed it and we were disappointed when we came out of it, but I think down the Fair Play route it (the qualifying rounds) starts even earlier,’ said Rodgers.

‘I’d prefer to be in it by qualifying through the league or winning a trophy. If it’s not that way then we are better suited to re-aligning our focus to domestic cups and the league.’

---

Hardly about the pride, all about the $$$.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: Liverpool reject Fair Play route into Europa League

Post by Bomber »

Fair play route silly thing to begin with.
Ignore this signature

Litmanen
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Litmanen »

Maybe that's why Suarez bit someone, just so they didn't get through that way.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Bomber wrote:Fair play route silly thing to begin with.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Teams used to reject the Intertoto Cup all the time too.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Europa League fast becoming Platini's joke if it hasn't become one already.

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

Dissapointing.

Statler and Waldorf
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Statler and Waldorf »

Maybe I am missing something, where does it say they won't enter if the opportunity arises?
Whats wrong with you?
Its either indigestion or this forum, and I hope its indigestion
Why?
Because at least I know that will get better in a little while

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Litmanen wrote:Maybe that's why Suarez bit someone, just so they didn't get through that way.
Didn't count towards disciplinary points.

I think it's a good move (not only coz they'll be coming here) but I just think it is important Liverpool have a really solid preseason and have a year where they can just focus on the league and try to do well in that without distractions. Their aim needs to be to finish top 4 next season

Bodø's Publicist
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Bodø's Publicist »

Red-4-Life wrote:
Litmanen wrote:Maybe that's why Suarez bit someone, just so they didn't get through that way.

I think it's a good move (not only coz they'll be coming here) but I just think it is important Liverpool have a really solid preseason and have a year where they can just focus on the league and try to do well in that without distractions. Their aim needs to be to finish top 4 next season
Surely anyone's aim should be finishing top.
R.I.P
Stuff And Stuff About Stuff

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Bodø's Publicist wrote:
Red-4-Life wrote:

Surely anyone's aim should be finishing top.
Of course but we know it's not realistic

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

laurel and hardy wrote:Maybe I am missing something, where does it say they won't enter if the opportunity arises?
The first dozen words or so from the OP should give you a clue. :wink:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Statler and Waldorf
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Statler and Waldorf »

That is what the paper says, but the quotes say something different.

A huge difference. Or have the British media changed and only write facts now?

I also read that places offered are non-negotiable, and the three teams will be announced next week, and England are unlikely to get one of the places.
Whats wrong with you?
Its either indigestion or this forum, and I hope its indigestion
Why?
Because at least I know that will get better in a little while

jimbo_jones
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by jimbo_jones »

This on espn.

Brendan Rodgers insists Liverpool would accept a place in Europe via the fair play standings, despite suggesting that the club could do without it.

Rodgers' side are second behind Arsenal in the standings ahead of Sunday's Merseyside derby clash with Everton at Anfield.

UEFA grants a place in the Europa League qualification stages to the three European nations with the best fair play records. England was fourth in the table when the last standings were published on December 31.

If England finishes in the top three, a fair play place in the Europa League would almost certainly default to Liverpool, with Arsenal on course to qualify for the Champions League.

Rodgers has indicated in recent weeks that a season out of Europe would enable his side to focus on improving their Premier League position.

In addition, the Europa League qualifying rounds would clash with Liverpool's lucrative pre-season tour of Asia and Australia, planned for July.

But Rodgers stressed that comments he made earlier this week about instructing players to pick up yellow and red cards to avoid qualifying for Europe had been meant as a joke.

He said: "I was asked the question last week, and what I said was obviously meant as a joke. Of course, it gets reported differently.

"We want to be in European competition, however it comes, but we'd prefer to go down the football route."

Liverpool reached the last 32 of this season's Europa League, where they were eliminated by Zenit St Petersburg on away goals.

Asked whether he would accept a European place for next season via the fair play standings, Rodgers added: "I think, as a football club, you have to. I don't think it's something you turn down, if you get the opportunity to go into European football.

"The journey we had this year in the Europa League was something all the players thoroughly enjoyed. It was a great exercise for us.

"We were bitterly disappointed to go out - and if we get the chance to do it again, then for sure we will."

http://m.espn.go.com/soccer/story?story ... eTag=ENG.1