Wayne Rooney hands in transfer request

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Wayne Rooney hands in transfer request

Post by Red-4-Life »

Soon-to-be Manchester United manager David Moyes faces a fight to keep Wayne Rooney out of Chelsea clutches, after the striker slapped in his second transfer request in three years.
http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/09/wayne-roo ... e-3747059/

one of many sources

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: Wayne Rooney hands in transfer request

Post by God is an Englishman »

wants a new contract

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

chelsea dont have a manager why would he want to go there?

just a standard rumour when a coach leaves a star wants to leave too

im with hawkeye, contract pronblems me thinks too
ImageImage

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

Moyes sued him a few years ago, don't blame the bloke.

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

The Kop wrote:Moyes sued him a few years ago, don't blame the bloke.
So Rooney libels Moyes and settles out of court. No can't blame the bloke.........if he moves him on
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

Rooneys last good season was 2010, since then hes been crap, too inconsistant
Hopefully flog him off to psg and go and buy Lewandowski, or even Falcao

Derek
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Derek »

I agree, Rooney has been well below his best in the last season or so. I think its good business for both parties if he leaves.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

DOC wrote:chelsea dont have a manager why would he want to go there?

190,000 pounds a week not enough?

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

ozzie owl wrote:
DOC wrote:chelsea dont have a manager why would he want to go there?

190,000 pounds a week not enough?
190? See the bold!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog ... ter-united
In an upstairs room of his home office, on the edge of the Ribble Valley, there is a framed photograph on David Moyes's wall of a time when everything about Wayne Rooney's life seemed so much more innocent.

It is an old Daily Mirror shot from 2002 as a 17-year-old Rooney celebrates a late winner under the floodlights at Leeds United, a couple of weeks after the more famous goal against Arsenal. Rooney is mid-air, photographed from behind, as he leaps in front of the away end. He is an Evertonian celebrating with his own and, as a show of togetherness, it is such a great picture Moyes kept it on view even when his relationship with Rooney had strayed dangerously close to the point of disintegration. Whatever their differences, however embittered it became, Moyes always felt supremely proud about bringing through a player of such uncommon gifts.

The Moyes-Rooney dynamic is certainly a complex one given that Everton's manager employed lawyers because of passages in the player's 2006 book, My Story So Far, and the paradox that Manchester United have now appointed a replacement for Sir Alex Ferguson who has successfully sued one of the team's star players. It is a first and though the two have subsequently made up, instigated by a telephone call from Rooney, whether there are any lingering politics and whether Moyes has the appetite to keep a player who is plainly agitating to leave, is another issue entirely.

Moyes certainly has a considerable problem waiting in his inbox at a time when he has not even been given the code to Old Trafford's gates but must already be getting a taste of why Ferguson, in his formative years in Manchester, used to say the size of the club was difficult to comprehend for outsiders. Moyes will quickly learn that when a story breaks at Old Trafford the newspapers clear their back pages and the television crews descend on Sir Matt Busby Way in a way that rarely happens at Goodison Park.

In this case Rooney's latest transfer request certainly leaves an unappealing sense of deja vu bearing in mind this is the second time in three seasons he has sought to cut himself free and it is only a few weeks ago that he was employing people to pass on the information that he would be happy to sign a new contract this summer.

Instead it turns out the truth is something completely different, Rooney has been having us on again and he actually went to see Ferguson a couple of weeks ago to tell him he had endured enough unhappiness and would be better off somewhere else. Ferguson, we are told, made it clear it would be United's decision, not the player's, and now Moyes has to wade through all the politics and work out, in tandem with Ferguson, what should be done.

A manager in Moyes's position, trying to establish authority in a new dressing room, might be tempted to usher Rooney straight to the door and, gauging the reaction of many supporters to the latest development, it is increasingly clear it would not be held against him. On the last occasion Rooney asked for a transfer, the mood was of genuine shock, followed by outrage and anger. This time it is very different. Weary disdain, is probably the best way to put it.

At the same time, this is still a player who has scored 197 times for the club, making him fourth in their all-time list, and contributed 16 goals in 31 starts and seven substitute appearances this season. That, more than anything, has to be the starting point for Moyes: how seriously would it hurt United if they were to let Rooney leave and reiterate the club does not bend for anyone?

Perhaps it will not be necessary and the change of manager might actually help to soothe whatever is eating away at Rooney given that a significant part of it stems from his erratic relationship with Ferguson. But then, it is not an easy thing to work out what passes through Rooney's mind sometimes, whether it is all a scam for more money, why he should feel so dissatisfied in the first place, and whether he has the faintest appreciation of knowing when he is on to a good thing.

Ferguson has already broken his usual policy of moving out any mutinous player, going back to the last time Rooney asked for a move in October 2010. Behind the scenes, however, it is fair to say their relationship has not been the same since and – here's the thing – that the relevant people acknowledge Rooney, for all his qualities, is not the player he was.

Ferguson let it out to one of his associates earlier in the season, criticising Rooney's attitude and the general sense that he was not making enough of himself. One of the senior players at Old Trafford has also confided, off the record and with considerable reluctance knowing how United prefer to keep everything in-house, that he is taken aback by the way Ferguson and Rooney can be towards one another and the atmosphere it sometimes leaves.

At least this time Rooney has had the good sense not to engage Ferguson in a public relations war, having previously discovered that he was picking a fight with the wrong man. He ended up with a new contract on that occasion and, though the leaked figures were of a weekly £180,000 salary, it later emerged that it might have been substantially more. Manchester City, for one, had a vested interest bearing in mind they had been keen to coax Rooney away, not least as their transfer negotiator of the time, Brian Marwood, has a long-standing business relationship with the player's adviser, Paul Stretford. City's information was that Rooney earns around £300,000 a week, which makes him the best-paid footballer in the country.

Rooney's sympathisers might point out his ego is bound to have been bruised by his removal as United's mandatory first-choice striker since the arrival of Robin van Persie. They might also argue that Ferguson requires him these days to operate as a glorified odd-job man – in attack, midfield, the link man, or out wide – and that a player of his reputation will plainly have been aggrieved not to start against Real Madrid in the game that will now be remembered as Ferguson's last in Europe.

Rooney's conversation with Ferguson came a few days after United's 2-2 draw at West Ham last month when he was partly accountable for both the opposition's goals and a substitution waiting to happen. Ferguson subsequently talked about Rooney's place being endangered by Shinji Kagawa and his expectation that the Japan international will flourish next season.

Then there is the scrutiny on Rooney's physical condition culminating in a letter being circulated by his lawyers to warn newspapers that any suggestion he was overweight or out of condition would be considered actionable. Rooney himself has talked before about turning up for one pre-season several pounds too heavy. Moyes has his own stories about the player's dietary habits going back to their days together at Goodison, when he once had to rebuke the young Rooney for his fondness of sausages and eating past 9pm. A decade on, Moyes has a new set of problems with an old source of problems. Some more straight talking might be needed.

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

yes buy LEWANDOWSKI........

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

Poor White Pele, he's been thrown under the bus by all and sundry.

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

The Kop wrote:Poor White Pele, he's been thrown under the bus by all and sundry.
I was reading an article stating that its United who are trying to push him out to cash in.
Either way he's been below par, like I said his best season was in 2010. Cash in on him but sell him abroad, and being in lewandowski

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Post by getborn »

I wonder how many Man U fans would have been clamouring for the arrival of Lewandowski before that 4?
Not many me thinks.

Funny how quickly he's become yesterdays news.

Litmanen
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Litmanen »

getborn wrote:I wonder how many Man U fans would have been clamouring for the arrival of Lewandowski before that 4?
Not many me thinks.

I don't know how he's going to work with RVP, Hernandez and Welbeck.

I'm sure Welbeck will be back on the wing but how long will chicharito sit on the bench?

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BTAC »

Litmanen wrote:
getborn wrote:I wonder how many Man U fans would have been clamouring for the arrival of Lewandowski before that 4?
Not many me thinks.

I'm sure Welbeck will be back on the wing but how long will chicharito sit on the bench?
Why is it a foregone conclusion that United are getting Lewandowski?
haywood djablowme wrote: I believe Arsenal have improved more than the Poo! (we are only 5 pts behind you)

Litmanen
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Litmanen »

BowTiesAreCool wrote:
Litmanen wrote:
Not many me thinks.

Why is it a foregone conclusion that United are getting Lewandowski?

I'm just stating the downsides in the hope that people realise there best player last season was a striker and they already have too many.

I think it'd be silly for them to purchase a striker like that unless they offloaded someone else. Even then, is RVP going to sit on the bench? they'd have to play 2 strikers, and that just won't happen.

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

Think they'd be silly to swap Lewandowski for Rooney.
Lewandowski is almost like a young version of RVP, needs service. Where as Rooney can score and create.

Hope they do.
Would be fun to see Moyes try and figure out how to play a 2 striker system.

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BTAC »

I just find it funny how all these United supporters seem happy enough for Rooney to leave.
haywood djablowme wrote: I believe Arsenal have improved more than the Poo! (we are only 5 pts behind you)

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

BowTiesAreCool wrote:I just find it funny how all these United supporters seem happy enough for Rooney to leave.
Yes they seem to have very short memories - remember all the uproar a couple of years ago?
Now they have RvP all that seems forgotten.
Shows the fickle nature of United fans (question their loyalty perhaps?) - compare this with Chelsea fans - they really don't want to see Lampard let go despite acquiring Mata, Hazard and Oscar.

Litmanen
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Litmanen »

BowTiesAreCool wrote:I just find it funny how all these United supporters seem happy enough for Rooney to leave.

They are stupid.

Some of them even think it's time for Valencia to go :P

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BTAC »

Litmanen wrote:

They are stupid.

Some of them even think it's time for Valencia to go :P
That's right. Their best winger hits a bat patch and they want rid. :lol:

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

# 9
Star Player
Star Player

Post by # 9 »

trying to find the quote, but Wenger isn't ruling out trying to sign him. mixed feelings but imagine that. RVP went to united, and Rooney at Arsenal...

Derek
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Derek »

Wouldnt happen. His wages would cover 50% of our starting eleven's :wink:

Denchkid
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Denchkid »

2nd time Rooney wants to leave, why? you get paid a ton of money, playing for the biggest club in England. PSG is just money and boring French league. Chelsea rumoured to go for him as well, that wouldn't go down well considering we stood by him when he wanted to leave in the first place. If he leaves for a big top 5 side in the EPL, then it'll be like RvP moving to United, the amount of hate will be huge.

If Rooney leaves, then im 100% sure we'll get another quality striker. Falcao rumoured (but City and Monaco ahead of us), Lewandowski rumoured (Bayern ahead of us) or even the slight chance of CR7 coming back, which would probably revert our formation to 4-3-3 with Ronny and Valencia wide and RVP upfront. Even Benzema who's been out of form but has potential would be good for us.

Litmanen
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Litmanen »

MUFC_20 wrote:2nd time Rooney wants to leave, why? you get paid a ton of money, playing for the biggest club in England. PSG is just money and boring French league. Chelsea rumoured to go for him as well, that wouldn't go down well considering we stood by him when he wanted to leave in the first place. If he leaves for a big top 5 side in the EPL, then it'll be like RvP moving to United, the amount of hate will be huge.

If Rooney leaves, then im 100% sure we'll get another quality striker. Falcao rumoured (but City and Monaco ahead of us), Lewandowski rumoured (Bayern ahead of us) or even the slight chance of CR7 coming back, which would probably revert our formation to 4-3-3 with Ronny and Valencia wide and RVP upfront. Even Benzema who's been out of form but has potential would be good for us.

Don't think Benzema would leave as Higuain is about to go to Juve.

Tin Soldier
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Tin Soldier »

Coz they think RVP is goin to carry the whole team on his shoulders. Funny that, as soon as RVP is in a United shirt, the fans are happy to shiraz Rooney off

Tin Soldier
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Tin Soldier »

Old Redback wrote:
Yes they seem to have very short memories - remember all the uproar a couple of years ago?
Shows the fickle nature of United fans (question their loyalty perhaps?) - compare this with Chelsea fans - they really don't want to see Lampard let go despite acquiring Mata, Hazard and Oscar.
hit the shiraz nail on the head

Tin Soldier
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Tin Soldier »

Exciting times in the transfer window ahead i must say

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Chip_hellas wrote:
Old Redback wrote:
hit the shiraz nail on the head
As a Man U fan there is IMO a bit of a difference between Rooney and Lamps. Lamps is to Chelsea what Giggs is to Man U. With Rooney's contract issues of before its fairly clear that he isn't a Red Devil to the core. But as we have seen many times at Man U with Beckham, Van Nistelrooy, Cristiano Ronaldo, etc. superstars can be replaced and growing too attached to a player can cloud judgment towards the team as a whole. Sure its sad to see people who have been great players leave but if its not working for all involved changes need to be made.