Ricksen diagnosis stuns Advocaat

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

1 November 2013-PA Sport

Fernando Ricksen motor neurone disease

Disbelief ... Fernando Ricksen, here playing for Rangers in 2004, has motor neurone disease (Getty Images)

AZ coach grenache Advocaat has reacted with shock to the news that Fernando Ricksen has been diagnosed with motor neurone disease.

Ricksen made the announcement on Wednesday after being diagnosed with the incurable condition two weeks ago.

The 37-year-old worked under Advocaat at both Rangers and Zenit St Petersburg as well as with Netherlands while the defender also spent three years with AZ until 2000.

Advocaat admitted he had been shocked by the news and told reporters: "The terrible news that Fernando suffers from motor neurone disease has deeply touched me.

"Even at AZ it has hit us hard.

"He was here in Alkmaar for three successful years, the club has good memories of him.

"On behalf of myself and AZ I want to wish Fernando and those around him much strength in the near future."

Ricksen got himself into a number of scrapes during his career but Advocaat added: "I have always worked extremely well with Fernando Ricksen.

"Of course the stories about his escapades are known to many but he has always been a good professional under me. The excesses I learned about later.

"Fernando was always respectful to me.

"I had him at both Glasgow Rangers and Zenit St Petersburg and the Dutch national team and successfully worked with him.

"With Zenit we became champions together and we won the UEFA Cup."

Ricksen had told interviewers in his homeland: "I am very sick. I am fighting for my life."

But declaring his determination to fight for his health for the sake of his wife Veronica and their daughter Isabella, he told the Scottish Sun: "I have feared for a couple of months I was in trouble - it is very hard to take.

"Inside me there is a fighting spirit, there always has been. I will fight this - I know it will be difficult but I will battle all the way. I have Veronica and Isabella - they are my second life and I have to try."

Ricksen is understood to have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a form of the rare degenerative condition that attacks the central nervous system.

As the illness progresses, sufferers find it increasingly difficult to walk, speak, swallow and breathe.

Ricksen signed for Rangers in a deal worth around £4 million ($6.78 million) in 2000 and left to sign for Russian side Zenit St Petersburg six years later after falling out with then Ibrox boss Paul Le Guen.

He won two Scottish Premier League titles, two Scottish Cups and three League Cups during his six-year spell with the Light Blues and was also named joint SPFA Player of the Year in 2004-2005 alongside Celtic striker John Hartson.

Among those sending messages of support to the 12-time Netherlands international was FIFA president Sepp Blatter, who posted

Sending Fernando Ricksen strength today after his diagnosis with #ALS. I know about #MND through Stefano Borgonovo. Keep fighting Fernando.
— Joseph S Blatter (@SeppBlatter) October 31, 2013

Ricksen's former Rangers team-mate, Lorenzo Amoruso, was shocked at the news.

The former Rangers captain told Press Association Sport: "It's quite difficult to find words because, knowing Fernando as a fantastic guy, very active, very positive all the time, it's really strange to see him facing this problem.

"But I'm sure Fernando will face it in the way he always did. He is a fantastic fighter.

"Fernando is a guy who gives everything. Sometimes he used to do well, sometimes he used to do bad, but that is the same with everyone.

"The one thing you can't take away from him is the fact he always tried hard, he always did everything he could, and he will do that now."

Amoruso, in Glasgow to promote Rangers's Scottish Cup clash against Airdrie, added: "I'm positive the team-mates will stand up and think what to do, if he will need any help, just to get confidence back to him.

"I don't know what, maybe organise a match or something like it used to be when we played together."

Ibrox boss Ally McCoist said there were no plans as yet for Rangers to hold a benefit match for Ricksen but stressed the club will do whatever it can to aid its former player.

He said: "What I would say is that the club would do anything at all that we could do to help in any way, shape or form.

"Nothing has been planned as yet. But I would guarantee that we would do anything we could."

McCoist added: "It's really sad, tragic news. Fernando was a really popular player here and it's a blow. Obviously it's a far bigger blow to Fernando.

"On behalf of everybody at the club - players, staff and supporters - our thoughts are certainly with him.

"Out of all the foreigners who have come to the club in recent years, and there have been lots of them, Fernando had as much fighting spirit as any.

"He grasped the playing for Rangers thing and representing the fans very well, as well as any foreigner. That spirit will be needed in abundance and thankfully he has it."

Ricksen's former Old Firm rival also passed on its best wishes to the player.

A club statement read: "The thoughts of everyone at Celtic are with Fernando Ricksen and his family following the news that he has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease. Everyone at Celtic passes on our best wishes to Fernando at this very difficult time."

What a terrible piece of news.
Apparently Football players are unusually highly represented in the number of MND sufferers.
:shock:
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

I used to be the Old Master but now I'm an Oldfart!

Frank Costanza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Ricksen diagnosis stuns Advocaat

Post by Frank Costanza »

oldfart wrote:
AZ coach grenache Advocaat has reacted with shock
It's not a funny article but i did laugh at this part
WHO TOOK MY TV GUIDE???

Hibs seven
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Hibs seven »

That is sad, only 37 years old. Watched him on many occassions, was a good player but always one that opposition fans loved to hate, wasn't a bad defender though.

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PDog »

Frank Costanza wrote:
oldfart wrote:
AZ coach grenache Advocaat has reacted with shock
It's not a funny article but i did laugh at this part
+1.... gold!

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

Stefano Borgonovo, a former Milan and Fiorentina player recently succumbed to this disease - it was given a huge profile by retired players who supported Borgonovo in public at every opportunity through various charity games etc.

Unfortunately he recently passed away so the news is terrible for Ricksen, there is no known cure.

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

El Pibe D'Oro wrote:Stefano Borgonovo, a former Milan and Fiorentina player recently succumbed to this disease - it was given a huge profile by retired players who supported Borgonovo in public at every opportunity through various charity games etc.

Unfortunately he recently passed away so the news is terrible for Ricksen, there is no known cure.

The Life Expectancy is also affected severely in most cases.

Very few with the most serious effects live more than five years.

The Late Don Revie, LUFC & England manager, only lasted four and a half years after being diagnosed.

That's why he walked out on England and took over at Saudi Arabia - he knew he only had a short time left and took the massive (by the standards of the day) salary to safeguard his family's financial future. :(
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

I used to be the Old Master but now I'm an Oldfart!