Hot Weather Policy - W-League

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

FoundIt
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Hot Weather Policy - W-League

Post by FoundIt »

37 forecast for sunday. Is there a hot weather policy for the w-league that may force a change to the scheduled 1:30pm kick off time?
Im closer than you think

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Hot Weather Policy - W-League

Post by united92 »

FoundIt wrote:37 forecast for sunday. Is there a hot weather policy for the w-league that may force a change to the scheduled 1:30pm kick off time?
I wouldn't have thought so. They'll just do what they do in the A-League when it's hot and take drinks breaks during each half

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

They might have tried to change it if it wasn't being televised and a curtain-raiser for the men's game...I agree with united92- they'll play it as scheduled with water breaks. But boy :shock: , that'll be hot to watch, never mind play.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

I'll walk to China the day I see a game called off because of the hot weather. The wet bulb test and policies and all that jazz have been trotted out but the missing element...Is common sense. 37 dergrees (probably 45 degrees plus in the sun) is too hot and unsafe.

What would you do if your manager made you work out in the open when the temp is 37-40 degrees? There would be an outcry. Not so with sport. I'm bemused.

Journeyman
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Journeyman »

Once it gets above 35 degrees, I dont think it really matters...its hellishly hot and possibly the worse conditions to play in. Agreed.

However, with todays modern footballer, with dietitians, conditioning coaches, health professionals ect ect all available, proper management and player recovery reduces the risk. Take appropriate risk management strategies and monitor the players as close as possible and hopefully everybody will pull up ok.

Having said that, it's not too late to alter the kick off time for the Lady Reds to 4.30pm and adjust the men accordingly. I think thats been done before in Perth. Obviously that will throw out the televising schedule, but wont effect the real supporters who'll be there.

astonvilla91
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by astonvilla91 »

Men's team has requested that it be changed. With the women playing at the hottest part of the day I'd be surprised to see it go ahead at that time.

ball_girl
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by ball_girl »

Journeyman
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Journeyman »

ball_girl wrote:http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/a ... d88508a542

4pm KO for women. 7pm KO for men.
Sanity prevails

philweb
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by philweb »

So it's ok for the Women to play at 4pm but not the Men at 4.30pm?

Notwithstanding the potential difference in the 2 matches, have I missed something here?

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

I don't think you've missed a thing. :?

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

I think it's ludicrous for the women to be scheduled to play at 4:00 with a temperature forecast of 40 degrees when the men have been rescheduled- how is it any less dangerous? I hope someone has the sense to call it off. Wouldn't be worth losing a player to heat stroke just for a television opportunity.

In his article in the Advertiser today Val Magliaccio cites Bruce Djite as saying he would have been more than a little annoyed to have to play at 4:30, neither saying anything about the fact that the women have now been scheduled to play at 4:00. Thanks Val. :roll:

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

juniorsupporter wrote:I think it's ludicrous for the women to be scheduled to play at 4:00 with a temperature forecast of 40 degrees when the men have been rescheduled- how is it any less dangerous? I hope someone has the sense to call it off. Wouldn't be worth losing a player to heat stroke just for a television opportunity.
I'm not sure why you're surprised. #ValAlert
In his article in the Advertiser today Val Magliaccio cites Bruce Djite as saying he would have been more than a little annoyed to have to play at 4:30, neither saying anything about the fact that the women have now been scheduled to play at 4:00. Thanks Val. :roll:

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by adam »

game moved to Adelaide Shores at 7:30pm

BlueForever
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by BlueForever »

Its great to make a call this late on the day. The sensible thing to have done was to make this call yesterday.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

How are the allowed to just change the venue and more importantly the surface on the day.

I assume they have refunded people's tickets as people paid to see 2 games.

As for Perth, they may not have had Astro footwear with them and no trained on Astro previously. Stupid decision

astonvilla91
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by astonvilla91 »

God is an Englishman wrote:How are the allowed to just change the venue and more importantly the surface on the day.

As for Perth, they may not have had Astro footwear with them and no trained on Astro previously. Stupid decision
A lot of Perth players having to stretch out their calves near the end of the match because of the hard surface.

Terrible organisation skills from FFA not to sort this out sooner. We all knew what the weather was going to be.

I took the train into Hindmarsh only to cross Port Rd and get a text telling me the match was moved.

An hour and a half train return trip for nothing. Went to Shores for free and it was way too windy to see the game played at it's maximum potential.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

YOU ARE F ing kidding me? Read yours and other peoples posts on here (about the heat and idiocy of playing the game at 4) and go stand outside today and see if you are prepared to play a game and or work in the blazing sun and heat of the day (as they say "Mad Dogs and Englishmen in the midday sun" rings true for YOU).

If Tickets and refund (and playing on Astro Turf) is your biggest concern I'm sure we forumites on here can ge some loose change together and donate to your "DUMB Ass" fund.

Sorry your day was ruined. Maybe the game should have been cancelled. No wonder the league is always grappling with what to do.

God is an Englishman wrote:How are the allowed to just change the venue and more importantly the surface on the day.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Clearly you can't see the full picture.

1. People bought a ticket for a double header, they didn't get it. Surely there's a legal argument that every ticket should be refunded as the publicised event didn't go ahead.

2. Adelaide gained an unfair advantage with the change of surface.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Yes I do not see the full picture. Somehow I'm glad I don't. Thay way I won't die of a heat related injury

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

God is an Englishman wrote:Clearly you can't see the full picture.

1. People bought a ticket for a double header, they didn't get it. Surely there's a legal argument that every ticket should be refunded as the publicised event didn't go ahead.

They didn't buy a ticket for the double header as you put it. Ticket prices were the same as every other A-League match. So why should there be refunds? Your lack of brains astounds me

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

united92 wrote:

They didn't buy a ticket for the double header as you put it. Ticket prices were the same as every other A-League match. So why should there be refunds? Your lack of brains astounds me
It was advertised as a double header? That double header never occurred.

No comment on my second point?

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Change of surface not unfair- or rather, that particular surface, hard as it is, is unfair to everyone. Who wears 'turf boots' anyway? Pretty sure the girls play in the same moulded boots whether it's grass or turf. So change of venue/surface impacted all the players just the same.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

When I played regularly on AstroTurf I wore AstroTurf boots. Mouldeds are not ideal for AstroTurf.

The ball bounces differently and runs through differently.

If you can't see or know that, then is question how often you've played on AstroTurf.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

God is an Englishman wrote:
united92 wrote:

It was advertised as a double header? That double header never occurred.

No comment on my second point?
If you're going to say Adelaide gained an unfair advantage by changing to the Shores, they have that unfair advantage every other home game when they play on it anyway. The majority of W-League teams fly in and fly out anyway.
You never have anything positive to say about Adelaide United, whether it be A-League, W-League or Youth League

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

They do have an unfair advantage not playing on grass.

However, the other teams know they are going to play on carpet weeks ahead and can plan accordingly bringing the correct footwear etc. Perth couldn't do that.

I rarely comment on the W league and I don't think I've ever commented on the youth league. Next!

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

God is an Englishman wrote:They do have an unfair advantage not playing on grass.

However, the other teams know they are going to play on carpet weeks ahead and can plan accordingly bringing the correct footwear etc. Perth couldn't do that.

I rarely comment on the W league and I don't think I've ever commented on the youth league. Next!
Ok you keep telling yourself in your stupid little head that Perth cracked it about this trivial issue. I'm 100% sure that they would have been glad the game was moved away from the 4pm timeslot with that heat. You are delusional if you think otherwise.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

God is an Englishman wrote:They do have an unfair advantage not playing on grass.

To be fair, I don't know anybody that plays/trains on the new synthetic pitches in anything other than moulds & we are on it 5 times a week.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

paul merson wrote:

To be fair, I don't know anybody that plays/trains on the new synthetic pitches in anything other than moulds & we are on it 5 times a week.
Yes you do, you know me. I've used mouldeds and Astro boots on it. Far prefer mouldeds and would suggest you give them a go.

Who is we Paul?

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

God is an Englishman wrote:
paul merson wrote:

Yes you do, you know me. I've used mouldeds and Astro boots on it. Far prefer mouldeds and would suggest you give them a go.

Who is we Paul?
AUYT

I don't find running in moulds on there any different to grass, especially this time of year.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Actually very surprised by that especially as a keeper. I find the twisting and turning part where Astro boots perform better. So as a keeper, the pushing off for a save I'd have thought would be harder.

I assume you would wear other different equipment as a keeper on Astro, long sleeve shirt and trousers rather than shorts?