Lady Reds

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Lady Reds

Post by United We Stand »

Apart from the appointment of Hussein Skenderovic as W-League coach, things have been very quiet in regards to the Lady Reds. Does anyone know any news regarding any player signings,squad preparations,appointment of assistant coaches etc? The season starts in early November, but there hasn't been any news about their preparations.

BeNatural
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Lady Reds

Post by BeNatural »

Lucy Adamopoulos signed

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

BeNatural wrote:Lucy Adamopoulos signed

Thanks BeNatural. Have any other West Adelaide girls made it? What about any other local girls? Metro? City? Fulham? Sturt?
Have there been any interstate or overseas girls signed? So we now have Emily Condon,Alex Chidiac and Lucy Adamapoulos definitely signed.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

At last, some news regarding the Lady Reds. They have signed three players from overseas and one from interstate. They are:

Monica Hickmann Alves, a Brazilian international from Orlando Pride and Katie Naughton from the Chicago Red Stars. They are both defenders. Katie will be joined by a Chicago teammate who is unnamed at the moment.
Adriana Jones (Daughter of the recently departed Mark Jones), is a signing from the Newcastle Jets. She is a striker.
Racheal Quigley, (Returning from a stint in Korea). Striker.

The local girls that have been signed include:

Isabella Scalzi, Alexandra Ladas, Sarah Willacy and Dragana Kljajic (Adelaide City)
Lauren Steer, Marijana Racjcic (Metro)
Stella Rigon, Claudia Jenkins (Fulham)
Lucy Adamopoulos (West Adelaide)
Kelsey Zafiridis, (Campbelltown).
Emily Condon, Alex Chidiac and Grace Abbey (Presently on Young Matildas duty)

My apologies if I have missed anyone. It looks like a very promising squad.

BeNatural
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BeNatural »

i dont know too much about the local womens game, but why hasnt the Player of the year Di Bartolo been selected?

Or is that a controversial comment to make!

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

BeNatural wrote:i dont know too much about the local womens game, but why hasnt the Player of the year Di Bartolo been selected?

I don't think it is controversial at all - if she is not selected you do wonder how a State league Player gets in over the Premier league Player of the year ? No disrespect to the players, just querying the selection process.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Didn't think Lauren Steer had been signed-

And I think Emily Hodgson from NTC was signed...

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

The General wrote:
BeNatural wrote:i dont know too much about the local womens game, but why hasnt the Player of the year Di Bartolo been selected?

I don't think it is controversial at all - if she is not selected you do wonder how a State league Player gets in over the Premier league Player of the year ? No disrespect to the players, just querying the selection process.
Why should it matter which club they play for? If they're deemed good enough, they get picked.

Di Bartolo has previously been in the AU squad with very little impact.
Zafiridis has had an outstanding season in the SL and formed a formidable partnership with Chidiac at Campbelltown.

If nothing else, it gives some credibility to the State League and shows the selection process isn't about which club you play for.

SwandelPark
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SwandelPark »

What about Rojas? Would rather have her; a mobile, athletic striker with an obvious eye for goal, rather than a lass who has ruptured her ACL three times..

rocknroll
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by rocknroll »

The General wrote:

How was she named player of the year more to the point??

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

At the end of each game, the centre ref (maybe with input from the linesmen?) singles out three players that he/she feels have had a positive impact on their respective team's performance. The player that the ref(s) rates the highest gets 3 points, the second best 2 points and the third 1 point. At the end of the season the points are tallied and the player with the most points gets 'Player of the Year'. That's how it works.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

How was she named player of the year more to the point??[/quote]

I watched most of City's games, but I have to truthfully concede that there is no way that Danni was City's Player of the Year, let alone the NPL Player of the Year. Despite playing well early in the season when she scored goals, the Head Coach made the extraordinary decision to shift her away from her customary central striking role for the latter stages of the season and the NPL finals/Cup Final. He played her wide for many games and this did not suit her game. In fact, this ( Playing girls out of position) was the fate of quite a few City girls and contributed to the club's demise at the end of the season.

rocknroll
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by rocknroll »

juniorsupporter wrote:At the end of each game, the centre ref (maybe with input from the linesmen?) singles out three players that he/she feels have had a positive impact on their respective team's performance. The player that the ref(s) rates the highest gets 3 points, the second best 2 points and the third 1 point. At the end of the season the points are tallied and the player with the most points gets 'Player of the Year'. That's how it works.
Say no more!!

Pooraka Sałt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Pooraka Sałt »

Is it 3-2-1 for each team or just 3-2-1 for the game?
Back by popular demand

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

For the game.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

juniorsupporter wrote:Didn't think Lauren Steer had been signed-

And I think Emily Hodgson from NTC was signed...

My apologies. Yes Lauren Steer didn't make it despite playing for United last season. And yes, Emily Hodgson has been signed. My "reliable source" made a mistake there.