AUWFC vs Perth Glory

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

AUWFC vs Perth Glory

Post by United We Stand »

I am disappointed with that performance and the result. I do question Skenderovic's team selections and formation. I have always thought that he should play more conservatively against the stronger teams like Brisbane, Perth,Sydney FC and Melbourne City. Why not have two defensive midfielders instead of three strikers? I am worried about the fitness of MJ and Rigon and playing Ianella in the midfield. I thought that last week's second half midfield was far more effective if he has to play with three strikers. It is just my opinion but I feel that the coach should have a variation to his "direct" style of play as opposing teams have found it predictable and are preparing ways to counter it.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: AUWFC vs Perth Glory

Post by sportsbird »

Firstly, everyone new this was going to happen from the time the team were selected. It was a huge farce.
I thought you had to earn your stripes to play at an elite level but this is not the case at AUWFC. Not have one trial and your selected, the biggest joke in the history of Women's soccer.
Again, the women's competition in South Australia has been treated like second hand citizens.
1. A new coach every season, great for women's football.
2. Coach has two teams. Great to see he is multi skilled.
2. Having one trial to select players for the W League. A huge success.
3. Types of players selected, absolutely fantastic selection process, couldn't have asked for better.
4. Selection of captaincy. Great choice. Best Captain in the WNPL League.
5. Team structure. Working extremely well.
6. Playing style. Kick long and direct. works well.
Overall great strategy.
My analysis of the South Australian players who were selected.
Cheyenne Hammond - Unproven (played no games)? Should not have been selected.
Emily Hodgson - Unproven and has been exposed to opposition teams as the weakest link in the defensive side. Should not have been selected.
Ally Ladas - Unproven and is not capable of playing at this level. Should not have been selected.
Stella Rigon - Unproven and has not displayed the captains role. Unfit and not ready at this level. Should not have been selected.
Emily Condon - Injured
Marijana Rajcic - Unfit & too slow. How was she selected when she has not played a game in a year after sustaining an ACL. Bad selection. Should not have been selected.
Racheal Quigley - Injured
Georgia Ianella - Unproven. Too young, too small and not ready for the elite level. Should not have been selected.
Lucy Adamopolous - Unproven -Injured. Should not have been selected.
Grace Abbey - Injured. Also a concern that she was selected after not having a game for a season.
Georgia Campagnale - Playing consistent football so far but playing in defence which is strange. She is a midfielder.
Kelsey Zafaridis - Unproven - Selected with no proven experience. This one come out of the blue. Should not have been selected.
Dragana Kljajic - Unproven - Not ready at this level. Should not have been selected.
Isabella Scalzi - Has been a great player in the WNPL as a defensive player. Unsure why she was placed in the midfield earlier but has settled in defence.
Sarah Willacy - Great backup keeper.
Claudia Jenkins - no opportunities yet as goalkeeper.
Alex Chidiac - Injured.
Looking at the players selected, it looks as though the coach has made a considerable mistake and it now shows. Bottom of the ladder. He will be regretting now that he has made the incorrect choices.
Players who should have been selected. (they do not need to trial.)
1. Daniella Di Bartolo - WNPL Player of the year
2. Ebon Wiedenbach - Best Defender in the league
3. Chantelle Ryder -
4. Lauren Steer - Last year W-League player and missed out. Best defender alongside Ebony Wiedenbach.
5. Nicole Tilley - Great Midfielder & Winger
6. Christina Papageorgiou - Great Holding Midfielder
There are many more to choose.
Now can anyone tell me how the following players were selected ahead of the players I have indicated above who were not selected;
Ally Ladas, Georgia Ianella, Emily Hodgson, Dragan Klijac, Marijana Rajcic, Stella Rigon, Kelsey Zafaridis, Cheyenne Hammond & Lucy Adamopolous.
It shows the lack of knowledge from the coach by recruiting in one trial.
It shows the lack of respect to the experienced players that deserve to be there.
It shows the lack of player awareness from the coach.
It shows a lack of respect of women's football in general.
It shows a lack of direction for the football club.
It shows the lack of development occurring within the FFSA development program.
It shows the coach lack of understanding of opposition teams. No plan B.
Finally it shows the lack of respect fort the W League. A player has to earn their right to play at this elite level. Gone out the door.
On a positive note: Who can name our future star young and upcoming players.
Midfielders - Who is currently our best young and upcoming Midfielder in the WNPL Reserves, WNPL and including the State League?
Strikers - Who is currently our best young and upcoming Striker in the WNPL Reserves, WNPL and including the State League?
Defenders - Who is currently our best young and upcoming defender in the WNPL Reserves, WNPL and including the State League?
It would be interesting to know who will have the opportunity to play at Adelaide United.

alwaysoffside
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by alwaysoffside »

sportsbird wrote:Firstly, everyone new this was going to happen from the time the team were selected. It was a huge farce.
I thought you had to earn your stripes to play at an elite level but this is not the case at AUWFC. Not have one trial and your selected, the biggest joke in the history of Women's soccer.
Again, the women's competition in South Australia has been treated like second hand citizens.
3. Types of players selected, absolutely fantastic selection process, couldn't have asked for better.
Overall great strategy.
Emily Hodgson - Unproven and has been exposed to opposition teams as the weakest link in the defensive side. Should not have been selected.
Ally Ladas - Unproven and is not capable of playing at this level. Should not have been selected.
Stella Rigon - Unproven and has not displayed the captains role. Unfit and not ready at this level. Should not have been selected.
Emily Condon - Injured
Marijana Rajcic - Unfit & too slow. How was she selected when she has not played a game in a year after sustaining an ACL. Bad selection. Should not have been selected.
Georgia Ianella - Unproven. Too young, too small and not ready for the elite level. Should not have been selected.
Grace Abbey - Injured. Also a concern that she was selected after not having a game for a season.
Georgia Campagnale - Playing consistent football so far but playing in defence which is strange. She is a midfielder.
Kelsey Zafaridis - Unproven - Selected with no proven experience. This one come out of the blue. Should not have been selected.
Dragana Kljajic - Unproven - Not ready at this level. Should not have been selected.
Isabella Scalzi - Has been a great player in the WNPL as a defensive player. Unsure why she was placed in the midfield earlier but has settled in defence.
Alex Chidiac - Injured.
Looking at the players selected, it looks as though the coach has made a considerable mistake and it now shows. Bottom of the ladder. He will be regretting now that he has made the incorrect choices.
3. Chantelle Ryder -
4. Lauren Steer - Last year W-League player and missed out. Best defender alongside Ebony Wiedenbach.
Now can anyone tell me how the following players were selected ahead of the players I have indicated above who were not selected;
Ally Ladas, Georgia Ianella, Emily Hodgson, Dragan Klijac, Marijana Rajcic, Stella Rigon, Kelsey Zafaridis, Cheyenne Hammond & Lucy Adamopolous.
It shows the lack of respect to the experienced players that deserve to be there.
Finally it shows the lack of respect fort the W League. A player has to earn their right to play at this elite level. Gone out the door.
Midfielders - Who is currently our best young and upcoming Midfielder in the WNPL Reserves, WNPL and including the State League?
Strikers - Who is currently our best young and upcoming Striker in the WNPL Reserves, WNPL and including the State League?
Defenders - Who is currently our best young and upcoming defender in the WNPL Reserves, WNPL and including the State League?
It would be interesting to know who will have the opportunity to play at Adelaide United.
I'm sure there will be trials again next year which
will give you or your daughter an opportunity to be selected.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Hi offside.
I dont have daughters so I dont have to worry about that.

Princess Fiona
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Princess Fiona »

sportsbird wrote:Firstly, everyone new this was going to happen from the time the team were selected. It was a huge farce.
Overall great strategy.
Emily Condon - Injured
Alex Chidiac - Injured.
3. Chantelle Ryder -
Seems a fair assessment of the events although with no preparation and poor selection playing direct football is probably only real choice.
hard to believe the players who were left out, Steer, Ryder especially

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snow white »

The blame for the current bottom of the table debacle rests soley with Adelaide United and mostly with Jones, the former coach.

It was announced in May that the Lady reds were going back to Adelaide United.

From May to September, Jones made the grand effort of going to watch two games of football (on the same night) seeing 4 clubs.

That was the extent of the scouting.

Three weeks before the season starts, the squad is yet to be assembled, let alone in training and Jones quits as coach.

New coach is found weeks out from the start, and must sign almost an entire squad.

Rather than consulting and going after the best locals, an invite to trial is hastily issued and the bulk of the squad is picked from those players who bothered to turn up. Note by this stage, the local league was over at least a month ago, and these players had lost form and fitness.

How no one was picked from the back to back champion team who won the minor premiership and finals convincingly, was astounding. Stockdale was a standout player in the WNPL for me this season just past.

How players who literally hadn't played for 12 months or players who plied their trade in the State League got selected over players who won league MVP's, top goal scorers etc was puzzling to say the least?

How you can go into a W League season with very few friendly preparation games and with the internationals rocking up days before the start, speaks of the absence of professionalism on the club behalf.

Was always a disaster waiting to happen with this preparation (lack there of).

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Overall great strategy.
Emily Condon - Injured
Alex Chidiac - Injured.
3. Chantelle Ryder -

This post cannot go unchallenged.
You have made the valid point that the girls should not have to trial. That is fair enough.
New coaches every year? Well, this year it was unavoidable when Mark Jones left to take up the Newcastle A-League job.
"One trial?" What does that mean? One session? I thought that the trials were over a few weeks. Not that it is a satisfactory selection process. The W-League coach should be in place in time to observe every round of the NPL season and then choose the "locals" part of the squad.
The "direct" style of play has led to goals in all but one game but I think that there should be a "Plan B" as you put it. A more conservative game should be played (Two defensive midfielders perhaps) against the stronger teams.

What is with that harsh assessment of the local players in the squad? The team has been very competitive and only going down by the odd goal in the closing stages in most of the games. They drew with a great team like Canberra. They outplayed Brisbane Roar in that second half with the players that you were overly critical of. FOUR local NPL coaches and Sarah Walsh (Ex-Matilda and now FOX/ABC commentator) have commented favourably about the same local players that you were so critical of.

I think it is YOU that is being disrespectful and overly critical in your assessment with some of those comments about certain players. To say that one of those girls is "The weakest link in the defensive side" and that another is "Incapable of playing at this level" is ridiculously harsh and definitely not fair or accurate.. Yes,it takes time for the debutants to adjust or "step up" to the elite level. In addition, they are not helped by the coach's directive to play it forward to the strikers as quickly as possible. That needs pinpoint accuracy all the time and the girls look sub standard if those long passes don't come off. The local girls have been used to playing a more possession-based game, where they have been building it up from the back,through the midfield and then playing it through to the strikers. They are coming to terms with a totally different style of play and something that doesn't follow the "curriculum." The girls have also been hampered by all the experimentation/enforced changes due to injuries/unavailability and some debatable team selections. So the coach should harbor some of the blame there.

Some of the girls that you have been very harsh about HAVE proven themselves by playing significant roles in NPL Wins/Runners up and Cup Wins/ Finalists over the last few seasons. Others that were selected were standouts for the NPL clubs outside the top two. How are they supposed to "prove" themselves in your eyes? We have already acknowledged that two or three Metro girls should have been selected. Is that your big gripe? If you look at the "Team of the Year" that I selected purely on the basis of their performances throughout the season/ability only, you would see that many of those girls, were selected in the W-League squad. I included Steer and Stockdale of Metro but they,unfortunately,were not selected. Stella is "not ready" at this level? Stella is 27 years old and has played for the Adelaide Sensation team in the old Women's National Soccer League. This experience was a determining factor in her appointment as Captain. Are you serious about that comment? Considering the unacceptable circumstances regarding the "Pre-Season and,consequently, the lack of time, they got most of the squad right. I would say only four of those selections weren't justified. I also agree with Snow White's analysis of how the club got it wrong in the period before the W-League season started.

I do agree with your comments about MJ, Abbey (Even though she DID play for the Young Matildas),Zafiridis,Campagnale and Ianella. By the way, Scalzi has only played very few minutes as a midfielder.

Now for your selections.

Di Bartolo is a very good striker, but DID NOT have a good second half of the year year. She was played out of position by City's coach for the final stages of the home and away season and Finals and simply hasn't performed. She definitely WAS NOT City's Player of the Year, let alone the NPL Player of the Year (I watched every one of the City games/Finals included). That is a bewildering decision by the referees to award so many votes to her. I have also been told that she rolled up to one of the trials and never returned. Her performance this season didn't warrant her selection ahead of the signings of Quigley, Huerta and Jones anyway. Maybe she should have been chosen ahead of MJ, IF she stayed at the trials.

The other players that you put forward ARE very good players, but I am not sure that a few of them were as consistent as those girls that were selected this year, with the exception of Weidenbach and Steer. Some of them may not have made themselves available. Did Ebony Weidenbach and the other players you mentioned, actually trial? With the signing of Monica/Katie Naughton and Scalzi they would all come before Ebony W anyway. Thomai Kezios was also just as impressive as Ebony. Did she trial? You could just as easily present a case for her as well.You also have to take into consideration that some players made themselves unavailable due to the Year 12 exams and health/injury issues.

I think that you should show some respect before accusing others of being disrespectful. Did you actually watch the NPL games or are you going on "reputation" and friendships with some of the players you mentioned? You also never mentioned "Rojas", who was the top scorer in the NPL. She is in the "train on" squad I believe ( Due to the restriction on "foreigners?").

P.S I have no real association with any of the girls in the NPL. I am a passionate supporter of the game. I do watch both men's and women's matches and do try to be as neutral as possible. I have always been "honest" in my appraisal of all the players in the NPL.

P.P.S You say that there is a lack of direction in the club. Have you considered that the selection of so many local girls is a direction that the club has deliberately embarked on? This started with the men's team bringing Mauk, Garuccio, Ochieng, Warland, Kitto, Marino, Mileusnic etc.etc.into the squad. Skenderovic even mentioned that the local girls were an important consideration and part of the future direction of the AUWFC. Would you prefer the disincentive (To the local girls) of the club signing most of the squad from interstate as has happened in the past?

I know that the results have been disappointing and that various things need to improve. However, this overly critical and bitter post is a real "slap in the face" to the local girls who are doing their best to "step up" to this elite level. It must also be said that the playing standards in the W-League this season are the highest ever due to the inclusion of so many quality imports and the availability of the Matildas to play in the W-League. It is so easy to criticise, but get your facts right about these girls before you post in such a critical manner.

Hydration Officer
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Hydration Officer »

you all make some valid points, and without knowing the ins and outs of how /who does what, regardless who should be playing, these girls are all WNPL standard or better,are they not ?

They all know enough about the game, some of the errors they are making are basic errors, and I don't know if they are instructed to play that way, or it is the way they are being taught to play ?

Simple errors that are preventable from the games and highlights I have seen, coach has to be the first one to take responsibility.
They play some good football, tidy a few things up and they will do much better

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Utd we stand
My post was not meant or to disrespect the local players .
My point was there are other local players that should have been selected way before the players I have said should not have been selected.
Emily Condon, Alex chidiac and Grace Abbey deserve to be selected i have no problems with that. Its just unfortunate that tbey have been struck with injury or illness.
At this level you need the best and experience players to compete in an elite level. There is no such thing you have to give them a go. They are either ready for this level or they are not.
So again in my opinion the players I mentioned are not deserving for a unt cap.
And yes you completely right, the majority of the blame goes to the coaches who selected the players and this is my main point. This is why the womens game in SA is so far behind is because the powers of be disrespect the woman because they dont care. If they were serious, this would not have happened especially in the mens league.

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by geoff9559 »

I reckon 16 or 17 were bagged.....not a small number. Going to the canberra game they played well and only through injuries didnt win. The first half against roar wasnt the best and nearly cringe worthy....but the second was a massive improvement the game against glory was very entertaining and i reckon that the team were looking very good at times and literally only one passenger and some poor 'luck'. For a team so new working together they have the makings of being quite a formidable unit - especially once they get that first win. Thats my opinion and i reckon it is excellent that more SA players have been given this exposure as it will make others hungry for getting in and can only improve the local competition. Cheers geoff9559

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by geoff9559 »

I reckon 16 or 17 were bagged.....not a small number. Going to the canberra game they played well and only through injuries didnt win. The first half against roar wasnt the best and nearly cringe worthy....but the second was a massive improvement the game against glory was very entertaining and i reckon that the team were looking very good at times and literally only one passenger and some poor 'luck'. For a team so new working together they have the makings of being quite a formidable unit - especially once they get that first win. Thats my opinion and i reckon it is excellent that more SA players have been given this exposure as it will make others hungry for getting in and can only improve the local competition. Cheers geoff9559

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Sorry geoff, unsure if you were looking at the same game as I was. Observing from the grandstand overlooking the entire game showed If it wasnt for the AU goalkeeper who I believe is the best keeper we have had so far, perth glory should have have been further ahead with several missed goal opportunities.
Analysing the season so far we are lucky not to have conceded more goals to the great effort of the keeper and the opposition teams missing simple goals.
So unfortunately, I dont agee that we are competitive.
Yes I do agree we have been competitive at times but only to the credit of the americans.
Can you tell me geoff which local AU player has played well consistently so far and has warranted to be in the squad. The only players apart from the injured players are campaneli and scalzi and they have been consistent so far.
Finally, I am also unsure how you think this team if they win one game will be a formidable unit.
That wont happen. My prediction is AU will only win one game for the remaining of the season.
Just heard this morning there is a crack developing in the AU sqaud. Apparently there is disharmony amongst the players and coaches.
So if this is true, its going to be long season even though we have a few games left.
To avoid this chamozzle again next season is to appoint a coach from SA for two years who has coached in the premier league/WNPL and has the understanding of players.
Communicates with all clubs and attends every game each week and establishes which players he believes deserves to be selected for AU.
Having a local SA coach will be able to at least create a stable environment and a base foundation and in three years select the best coach available to enhance the club further unless this coach is doing a terrific job.

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by geoff9559 »

I believe that like the mens team, if the lady reds win then it will be a good morale booster and something to build on. We can agree to disagree on the performances in games....i wasnt in the stands but on the eastern side. So the first 30 seconds where the lady reds forced a corner and could have converted early wasnt a good play against glory? Yep agree to disagree. You do make valid points of a coach (he or she) seeing more local games and going from there in making selections based on their coaching style and philosophy. If the current players have been selected for their attributes based on a coaching style then it might change (the selected players) if a new coach comes in with a different thought/view on what attributes they are looking for in a player. Cheers geoff9559

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

[quote="sportsbird"]Utd we stand
My point was there are other local players that should have been selected way before the players I have said should not have been selected.

You say that your comments were not meant to be disrespectful. However, some of those comments clearly WERE disrespectful.
To call players "weak links" and "incapable of playing at this level" is disrespectful. To describe Stella as "not ready" is disrespectful too given her experience and background. You definitely meant what you wrote. We agree that how the squad was assembled was unacceptable. You may also notice that I agree that some of the girls selected are "not ready." I agree that some of the players who you mentioned should have been selected. However, it is not as clear cut as all that. There are a number of other factors (Coach's preference/playing style,unavailability of girls,injuries, the decision to incorporate more local girls, players not bothering to trial etc. etc.).That is what I was trying to get across. You obviously had your agenda/personal preferences about players who should be selected, but the way you expressed yourself is totally out of order and definitely disrespectful.

alwaysoffside
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by alwaysoffside »

United We Stand wrote:
sportsbird wrote:Utd we stand

You say that your comments were not meant to be disrespectful. However, some of those comments clearly WERE disrespectful.
To call players "weak links" and "incapable of playing at this level" is disrespectful. To describe Stella as "not ready" is disrespectful too given her experience and background. You definitely meant what you wrote. We agree that how the squad was assembled was unacceptable. You may also notice that I agree that some of the girls selected are "not ready." I agree that some of the players who you mentioned should have been selected. However, it is not as clear cut as all that. There are a number of other factors (Coach's preference/playing style,unavailability of girls,injuries, the decision to incorporate more local girls, players not bothering to trial etc. etc.).That is what I was trying to get across. You obviously had your agenda/personal preferences about players who should be selected, but the way you expressed yourself is totally out of order and definitely disrespectful.

+1

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

[quote="sportsbird"
So unfortunately, I dont agee that we are competitive.
Yes I do agree we have been competitive at times but only to the credit of the americans.

Is this not a contradiction?

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Goes to how AU has been playing.
Even I am having difficulties whether they are competitive or not.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

sportsbird wrote:Goes to how AU has been playing.
Even I am having difficulties whether they are competitive or not.

No, it is your mistake and your judgement. Passing it off as a reflection of how AU have been playing is you not being responsible for your comment.

So no response to my accusation of you being disrespectful,overly critical and simply inaccurate about the capabilities of the players you were so harsh about? No admission that maybe your bias towards certain players (Friends?) has blinded your perception of the current squad? All of the players are capable. It is just that some (two/three) of the younger ones mentioned are "not ready" for the elite level that is W-League. One player has come back from a long injury layoff. This is where some of the players you mentioned could have been slotted into the squad.
Last edited by United We Stand on Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

So united
From what I can gather, you are fully supportive of the current players that were selected and that my comments are inaccurate. It appears you would have the same squad next year. Just build on the current crop. Ouch.
Finally , tell me which local SA player has performed consistantly to the elite standard, has played almost every game and has cemeted their spot.
The only players i see that have cemented their spot is scalzi and campaneli.
The rest have enjoyed 15 to 20 mins then benched and then demoted.
I would love you too prove me wrong by telling us the players you believe have perfomed consistantly at this level.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

sportsbird wrote:So united
From what I can gather, you are fully supportive of the current players that were selected and that my comments are inaccurate. It appears you would have the same squad next year. Just build on the current crop. Ouch.
Finally , tell me which local SA player has performed consistantly to the elite standard, has played almost every game and has cemeted their spot.
The only players i see that have cemented their spot is scalzi and campaneli.
The rest have enjoyed 15 to 20 mins then benched and then demoted.
I would love you too prove me wrong by telling us the players you believe have perfomed consistantly at this level.

You know that you are being deceitful now. I have already said that your friends at Metro (And others!) should be accommodated and that two/three of the young girls are not ready. I have also said that one player who had a long injury layoff should not have been selected.In other words, I agreed with you about those points. It means that a number of girls (Depending on whether they consistently perform in the 2017 NPL) will come in and change the look of the squad. MJ may retire and concentrate on her coaching. Monica may not agree to come back. Who knows? Squads change for a number of reasons.

I believe that the W-League coach and his Assistants should watch every game of the NPL season and select the local players based on their performances and ability throughout the season. United have already indicated that they will try to re-sign the imports, so that means that they will need to select 18 players from Adelaide/interstate and cover the positions that need to covered. If the present local players in the squad are not the best performed players,they will not be chosen. That is, it could mean that some of the present "locals" are not included. It could also mean that some of the present locals do retain their spots. They should be judged purely on merit with their performances.There should not be any trials for places in the W-League squad or the "Train-on" squad. It is as simple as that really.

I see that you are being stubborn about your harsh criticism of the local girls. That question you posed is unfair and does not represent reality. Football is a squad game. The local girls are effectively competing for five starting spots as the imports/interstate signings are virtually assured of their places. They are also competing for those spots on the bench. This season we have a number of girls who have broken into the W-League level of football. It is unfair/unrealistic to expect them to play every game and "cement" their spot especially with the level of experimentation that the coach has been putting into place. You are not even accurate about Scalzi. Scalzi has only played the last two games due to the unavailability of Monica. Prior to that, she had few minutes of playing time and certainly had not started any of the games. Actually, Isabella Scalzi is a great example of how unreasonable that you are being with your question. Scalzi is a great defender, arguably the best defender in the NPL. Yet she has had to bide her time and await a call up into the starting lineup. Georgia Campagnale has more experience and has played in the W-League last season. What about Emily Hodgson? She has cemented her spot and been steady in all the games that she has played. In terms of the other local girls, it must be said that the experienced players/imports and interstate signings will have preference in the first instance. This makes it difficult for the inexperienced girls to achieve what you are saying.That is the reality of the life of a player in a squad. However, that doesn't mean that they are not worthy of being in the squad. The girls that you have harshly criticised have done well when they have come on as substitutes.The obvious example was last week in Brisbane when those substitutes made an impact and helped the team to make a spirited comeback against such a talented team.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

United we stand,
I am not being harsh on the girls. I am simply surmising that some players should not have been selected, it's a reality.
Unfortunately, we will agree to disagree.
On another note, it would be great with your knowledge and experience to enlighten us who you believe are the young and upcoming players in the WNPL as per my previous post.
"On a positive note: Who can name our future star young and upcoming players.
Defenders - Who is currently our best young and upcoming defender in the WNPL Reserves, WNPL and including the State League?"

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by geoff9559 »

Sportsbird.....seriously get a grip! You did bag players unfairly, you have not replied to questions only by going on the attack by asking other questions of people. Glad you are not in a team as it would be very toxic if you cant acknowledge that perhaps you were out of line and because you have no daughters or alignment to players that you give these young south australian girls a chance to play in a top league instead of saying they are no good. Merry Christmas you grinch

alwaysoffside
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by alwaysoffside »

geoff9559 wrote:Sportsbird.....seriously get a grip! You did bag players unfairly, you have not replied to questions only by going on the attack by asking other questions of people. Glad you are not in a team as it would be very toxic if you cant acknowledge that perhaps you were out of line and because you have no daughters or alignment to players that you give these young south australian girls a chance to play in a top league instead of saying they are no good. Merry Christmas you grinch

+1
There is a difference between constructive criticism and
Vitriol

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

alwaysoffside wrote:
geoff9559 wrote:Sportsbird.....seriously get a grip! You did bag players unfairly, you have not replied to questions only by going on the attack by asking other questions of people. Glad you are not in a team as it would be very toxic if you cant acknowledge that perhaps you were out of line and because you have no daughters or alignment to players that you give these young south australian girls a chance to play in a top league instead of saying they are no good. Merry Christmas you grinch

+1
Vitriol

Thank you "Geoff9559" and "alwaysoffside." I thought that I had expressed myself clearly, but Sportsbird can't acknowledge how disrespectful,offensive and unfair she has been. She has not only been inaccurate with some of her facts, but has even contradicted herself. She has also misinterpreted a section of my posts when she says that I haven't disputed some of the players that she thinks should be selected. I am not going to bother "debating" it any further as she doesn't acknowledge anything and doesn't directly respond to my considered arguments/explanations, facts and reason. I didn't appreciate her sarcastic comments about " Enlightening us with your knowledge and experience" either. She obviously likes to go on the attack rather than debate things in a reasonable manner.
Merry Xmas to you both and keep enjoying the beautiful game.

P.S Check out Sportsbird's latest post where she thinks that the majority of people on this forum support her because they haven't posted any responses against what she has written. The truth is there aren't many people posting on the Women's Forum AND they couldn't be bothered arguing with a person who has been so negative before. Stop Press. "Gee Kay" has posted a response which doesn't agree with the charming person that is "Sportsbird." What a surprise that must be for her!! I mean most people on this forum are not against her well-balanced,unbiased and realistic views, are they?

It shows her stubbornness and arrogance when she writes that she hasn't bagged any players. Wow. I even quoted the offensive parts of her post. But no. She is just summarising that some players should not have been selected. She even thinks that only one other person apart from me has thought that she has been harsh with her criticism.
Last edited by United We Stand on Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Utd we stand
Considering the amount of people on this forum only you and another person have accused me of being harsh.
It looks to me that the majority on this forum agree with my summation of the players.
I have yet to see anyone post on this forum including yourself dispute any the players I mentioned that actually deserves to be selected.
P.S. I have not bagged any player. All I said that they should not have been selected as they were unproven. That's all and very mild.
If I wanted to target each player to describe exactly their ability or inability in playing at the elite level, I would certainly use words that I would not use on this forum.
Hoping that none of the players I have mentioned in the list is not one of your daughters, if I did, I do sincerely apologise if this has caused you concerns.
One thing I can agree with you, there is no need to continue to discuss this topic with you.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Ok back to the topic with Saturday night’s disappointing result and unfortunately can I say we were not just battered on the scoreboard but our AU players copped a physical battering too.

Having watched the 2nd half of the Brisbane game the other week I was full of praise for the job the referee up there did but the same cannot be said about Saturday night’s refereeing display.

Not sure if that is how Perth normally play their games which is very very physical (had not seen them play before) or whether they just took advantage of the soft referee on the night. Don’t recall even one yellow card being issued to the Perth team who quickly imposed themselves over their much younger and inexperienced opponent.

Poor refereeing aside we were still no match for Perth who were admirably spearheaded by an awesome Samantha Kerr which meant Adelaide was always on the back foot when she got going.

Thought we started the game well with Adriana Jones looking sharp up front but unfortunately as the game progressed she appeared to fade out & it was left to a very lively Sofia Huerta to take charge of our attacking forays in the 2nd half. Sofia along with Isabella Scalzi for me were my two better players on the night but unfortunately many of their team mates toiled hard but with no productivity.
Last week I was critical of a slow moving Mrijana Rajcic & things didn’t improve for her on Saturday night because she was rightfully replaced at half-time. Given her build I was disappointed Mrijana didn’t at least take the opportunity to try and assert herself over the intimidating Perth players.

Without being too critical I must also query the thinking behind playing Dragana Kljajic (who I can see has the makings of a very good future player) because seriously against a physical team like Perth she was always going to struggle.

After showing such promising signs last week against Brisbane a win still looks within reach but for now its back to the training ground.

gee_kay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gee_kay »

Overall great strategy.
Emily Condon - Injured
Alex Chidiac - Injured.
3. Chantelle Ryder -
Have you ever thought of putting your hand up to be a selector? You seem to know a lot, hey here's another idea.
Why don't you coach the team as well? So easy to come on here and criticise not only the coaches but the young girls in the squad isn't it?
Girls have been unfortunate in a couple of fixtures. There second half against Canberra was ultra impressive and that was against the best team in the league.
When you have a brand new squad it takes time to gel, and unfortunately unless you get quality international players or interstate ones you will be found wanting. If anyone is to blame it's not the coach or the players. It's the club for not investing in the team
Follow me on Twitter @gee_kay10

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Without being too critical I must also query the thinking behind playing Dragana Kljajic (who I can see has the makings of a very good future player) because seriously against a physical team like Perth she was always going to struggle.

After showing such promising signs last week against Brisbane a win still looks within reach but for now its back to the training ground.[/quote]

I agree with these comments regarding Dragana Kljajic, Scar. She is a skilful, but slighty built wide midfielder. Yes, I thought that Skenderovic should have brought on Ally Ladas into a defensive midfield position instead of her at half time. She showed in the Brisbane game that she has the physicality,work rate and distribution to compete with the Perth players. She also creates scoring opportunities with those excellent free kicks/corners that she whips into the penalty area. She is yet another promising local player.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

alwaysoffside wrote:

+1
Vitriol

Vitriol is the perfect word to describe Sportsbird's comments. However, does she knows what it actually means?

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

An Adelaide United Women's Player has been sacked due to poor performace and an altercation with the coach.