Rangers v Celtic

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Rangers v Celtic

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Michael wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:35 pm
thebeautifulgame wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:00 pm
Michael wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:49 pm Ranges Vs Celtic game will decide the title, at Ibrox - how exciting!
With all respect, I don't think so. Celtic have won both league games v Rangers this season yet trail them by two points.
Celtic will drop more points as they are not firing up front and are always prone to leak soft goals.

Rangers have been more consistent against the other teams than Celtic and the way it is going it looks like Celtic are going in to freefall. Rangers to win the title with a few points to spare, maybe even ten or there about! :crazy:

Stating the obvious, but something is far wrong at Celtic. I would say the scrooges that hold the purse strings are the main culprits, though the players and manager should also take responsibility- not good enough!
Rodgers is not a good coach - there!
You are entitled to your opinion. Now tell me more Michael regarding opinion as your post lacks reasoning and maturity.
Some facts or research might earn you some 'street cred'! ;-)

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

thebeautifulgame wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:39 am
Michael wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:35 pm
thebeautifulgame wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:00 pm
Michael wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:49 pm Ranges Vs Celtic game will decide the title, at Ibrox - how exciting!
With all respect, I don't think so. Celtic have won both league games v Rangers this season yet trail them by two points.
Celtic will drop more points as they are not firing up front and are always prone to leak soft goals.

Rangers have been more consistent against the other teams than Celtic and the way it is going it looks like Celtic are going in to freefall. Rangers to win the title with a few points to spare, maybe even ten or there about! :crazy:

Stating the obvious, but something is far wrong at Celtic. I would say the scrooges that hold the purse strings are the main culprits, though the players and manager should also take responsibility- not good enough!
You are entitled to your opinion. Now tell me more Michael regarding opinion as your post lacks reasoning and maturity.
Some facts or research might earn you some 'street cred'! ;-)
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

The Bourne Identity
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by The Bourne Identity »

Well done Motherwell. :clap:
I can't put my finger on it but I think my avatar looks like Jay Walking.

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

The Bourne Identity wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:49 am Well done Motherwell. :clap:
Indeed- though Celtic will expect to get a tough game at Tynecastle v Heart of Midlothian today/tonight. Celtic beginning to show a bit of form and will be expected to grind out the three points. A bit surprised to be honest- I thought Celtic were in free-fall. The Motherwell result proves Rangers are far from unbeatable.

Hold on to your seatbelts- looks like it could go to the wire. The team which handles the pressure better will take the spoils.
At this point it looks 50/50.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

thebeautifulgame wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:49 pm
The Bourne Identity wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:49 am Well done Motherwell. :clap:
Indeed- though Celtic will expect to get a tough game at Tynecastle v Heart of Midlothian today/tonight. Celtic beginning to show a bit of form and will be expected to grind out the three points. A bit surprised to be honest- I thought Celtic were in free-fall. The Motherwell result proves Rangers are far from unbeatable.

Hold on to your seatbelts- looks like it could go to the wire. The team which handles the pressure better will take the spoils.
At this point it looks 50/50.
Hearts are a good tough side. Celtic have to make the most of their scoring chances.

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Hearts thoroughly deserved their win v Celtic in what was a strange game. Celtic missed an early penalty (rather soft award), then Yang rightly received a straight red for a Serious Foul Play offence with Celtic going down to 10 men. Hearts were then awarded a ridiculous penalty for a hand ball offence, which they took well to go 1-0 up. Hearts thought they went 2-0 up on the stroke of half-time but Shankland's effort was ruled out for off-side (another contentious decision).

Hearts did go 2-0 up shortly in to the second half and though Celtic were dominant in possession they never took any of the chances they created. Rangers and their fans will be hugely relieved.

A long time since both Celtic and Rangers have lost over the same weekend. :wtf:

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Celtic lucky to win yesterday although they controlled the match. I don't know what they are doing with Kyogo. I understand his form has been down, but he would have scored a few times yesterday with the opportunities Celtic create. The issue also is Celtic look so vulnerable in defense when Cater-Vickers is not playing.
Livingstone was dangerous on the counter.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

eagleboy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:09 pm Celtic lucky to win yesterday although they controlled the match. I don't know what they are doing with Kyogo. I understand his form has been down, but he would have scored a few times yesterday with the opportunities Celtic create. The issue also is Celtic look so vulnerable in defense when Cater-Vickers is not playing.

Rodgers can't coach!
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Michael wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:14 am
eagleboy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:09 pm Celtic lucky to win yesterday although they controlled the match. I don't know what they are doing with Kyogo. I understand his form has been down, but he would have scored a few times yesterday with the opportunities Celtic create. The issue also is Celtic look so vulnerable in defense when Cater-Vickers is not playing.

Rodgers can't coach!
Really Michael, another pop at Rodgers without any substance?

When your team has on average about 70% possession against the opposition and around 20-30 shots on goal, it is ALL down to Rodgers being a bad coach? I'm not saying he is the greatest coach on earth but the PLAYERS have to take their fair share of responsibility- whether that be missing chance after chance or poor defending at the back.

In my book, I would put more of the blame on the players than the manager at present. Also, if the Board were doing their jobs properly they would have freed up some serious money to enable Rodgers to improve his squad. In other words- better quality players would be scoring more goals up front and leaking less at the back.

Rodgers a bad coach- go your hardest Michael.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

thebeautifulgame wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:54 pm
Michael wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:14 am

Rodgers can't coach!
Really Michael, another pop at Rodgers without any substance?

When your team has on average about 70% possession against the opposition and around 20-30 shots on goal, it is ALL down to Rodgers being a bad coach? I'm not saying he is the greatest coach on earth but the PLAYERS have to take their fair share of responsibility- whether that be missing chance after chance or poor defending at the back.

In my book, I would put more of the blame on the players than the manager at present. Also, if the Board were doing their jobs properly they would have freed up some serious money to enable Rodgers to improve his squad. In other words- better quality players would be scoring more goals up front and leaking less at the back.

Rodgers a bad coach- go your hardest Michael.
I suspect Michael has never watched an SPL match or he would know that's BS. Look at his record.. :shh:

Anyway, I digress.
Good to see Kyogo back among the goals. Disallowed a couple as well. Good James Forrest getting one. Such an untapped talent. Celtic still managed to let the odd goal in against the run of play. :sad: Overall Celtic totally dominated.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Another big dance coming up on Sunday. Looking forward to it.

Rangers slight favourites I suppose at home. :sad:
432997649_1029857678532072_4223263516718058616_n.jpg
432997649_1029857678532072_4223263516718058616_n.jpg (24 KiB) Viewed 630 times

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

I reckon Celtic will be happy with the 'underdog tag' v Rangers at Ibrox today/this evening. I'm sure that Rodgers and his players will be determined to prove the doubters wrong and hopefully Celtic will use it as a motivator.

Key for Celtic is Carter Vickers and Scales showing strong discipline at the back and not conceding many free-kicks around the edge of the penalty area as we know how deadly Tavernier can be with set pieces.

Both teams are obviously capable of hurting each other, but if Celtic remain disciplined and keep 11 men on the park they have every chance.

Big talk of the game being ruined by controversial VAR calls- I can see both sets of fans getting getting a bit hot under the collar. Still no away fans in attendance which is fundamentally wrong. With the appointment of Beaton in the middle (a self-confessed Rangers' man) and the introduction of the Hate Law kicking in, the pressure has been ramped up a few notches before a ball has been kicked.

I genuinely think that Celtic have more match winners but they may lack the physicality of Rangers. Hoping that the managerial experience of Rodgers in this fixture can pay dividends for Celtic. Here's hoping for a cracker- and a Celtic win.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

There won't be many Celtic supporters in the ground if any. The Scottish refs are a strange lot.

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Unbelievable drama at Ibrox today and though I would have settled for a draw prior to kick-off, it almost felt like a defeat as a Celtic man.

A game of two halves- Celtic in total control first half and Rangers were a totally different beast after the interval.

Thought that the Referee put in a decent shift and got the vast majority of decisions right in the end with the aid of three VAR checks.

Got to say it was one of the most enthralling Rangers v Celtic games in a while and a draw (3-3) was about right- though most of the Glasgow rivals will beg to differ. Bragging rights on hold for now, though Rangers should expect to go back on top with a midweek win v Dundee (their game in hand).

The title is well balanced though Rangers may feel they now have the momentum to go and win it.

Sincerely hope NOT! ;-)

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Well summed up. I was worried about the ref but he had a very reasonable match. That Celtic defense worries me although the "gers goals were good. The pen was 50-50/. Although contact it looked like worse in slow motion. Looked like the GR player ran into Johnstone trailing leg.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

thebeautifulgame wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:12 pm Unbelievable drama at Ibrox today and though I would have settled for a draw prior to kick-off, it almost felt like a defeat as a Celtic man.

A game of two halves- Celtic in total control first half and Rangers were a totally different beast after the interval.

Thought that the Referee put in a decent shift and got the vast majority of decisions right in the end with the aid of three VAR checks.

Got to say it was one of the most enthralling Rangers v Celtic games in a while and a draw (3-3) was about right- though most of the Glasgow rivals will beg to differ. Bragging rights on hold for now, though Rangers should expect to go back on top with a midweek win v Dundee (their game in hand).

The title is well balanced though Rangers may feel they now have the momentum to go and win it.

Sincerely hope NOT! ;-)
Rodgers cant coach!!!

Rangers to Lose, I cant see this happening.....

Celtic just blew the title!!!

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Michael wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:41 pm
thebeautifulgame wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:12 pm Unbelievable drama at Ibrox today and though I would have settled for a draw prior to kick-off, it almost felt like a defeat as a Celtic man.

Sincerely hope NOT! ;-)
Rodgers cant coach!!!

Rangers to Lose, I cant see this happening.....

Celtic just blew the title!!!
And hey presto!- Not heard from you for a while and all you can say is Rodgers can't coach! A 3-3 draw away from home is far from a disaster and ultimately the momentum of the game was turned on its head with a disputed penalty.

So you can't see Celtic beating Rangers at Celtic Park?- of course they can. Far too early to say Celtic have just blown the title.

Did you actually WATCH the game- and if so why do you think Rodgers can't coach?

Just a little reminder- Rodgers has faced Rangers no less than 16 times times and Won 12, Drew 3 and Lost only once.

The statistics just don't back up your claims. :roll: :shh:

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

eagleboy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:29 am Well summed up. I was worried about the ref but he had a very reasonable match. That Celtic defense worries me although the "gers goals were good. The pen was 50-50/. Although contact it looked like worse in slow motion. Looked like the GR player ran into Johnstone trailing leg.
Agree 100% with above- only thing about the Penalty incident is that Celtic already had two VAR incidents in their favour (correct outcomes) and don't think they were going to get a third at Ibrox!

That said, some may argue that VAR shouldn't have been required as it was not a clear and obvious error.

Disappointed that the Referee didn't stick to his guns but I can fully understand the pressure he was under and why he overturned his original decision.

Anyhow, a draw keeps the title race wide open and it could go to the final day of the season to decide it.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Great result. Rangers losing and Celtic winning. The Good guys are back on top. GD is now pushing out to 5 goals..

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

eagleboy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:00 pm Great result. Rangers losing and Celtic winning. The Good guys are back on top. GD is now pushing out to 5 goals..
Yes, it was a great weekend for Celtic fans. I genuinely feel that following Celtic's 3-0 home win, Rodgers turned the heat up on Rangers in his post match comments to the media. He stated that he would prefer the points in the bag opposed to the games in hand (in reference to Rangers), Truth is Celtic were poor first half and failed to register a shot on target, though second half was much better in terms of chances created and quicker movement on and off the ball.

Rangers' upcoming midweek game in hand v Dundee at Dens Park now carries more pressure and significance. Rangers are
four points behind Celtic and will be expected to take all three points on offer, but will they? Their defence v Ross County was shaky from the off and they were hit hard by quick counter attacks. No doubt that Dundee will take heart from that and have a go. I would expect a big reaction from Rangers, as will their shell-shocked supporters.

Strange how a week or two can flip things on their head- or rather Rodgers got in their (Rangers') head.

Not bad for a guy that can't coach! :lol:

Sappers Road
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sappers Road »

thebeautifulgame wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:13 pm He stated that he would prefer the points in the bag opposed to the games in hand
Makes perfect sense.

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Sappers Road wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:07 pm
thebeautifulgame wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:13 pm He stated that he would prefer the points in the bag opposed to the games in hand
Makes perfect sense.
Yes, I hear you. But in Scotland Celtic and Rangers can feel (certainly some of their fans do) it is not only about the three points on offer- it's often about racking up the goal difference. So some would argue that having a game in hand could be seen as an advantage, depending on the circumstances.

Also, if Rangers won both of their games in hand they could have been two points clear with the same number of games played.

Rangers were expected to thump Ross County (second from top v second from bottom) but it didn't happen.
They will be expected to thump Dundee (currently sitting sixth) this evening - here's hoping it won't happen!

Bottom line is Rodgers was obviously playing mind games and this time round it seems to have worked.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Rangers 0:0 to Dundee overnight. Are the wheels coming off. :thumbup:

Sappers Road
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sappers Road »

Proof that points on the board are worth more than games in hand.

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Sappers Road wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:00 am Proof that points on the board are worth more than games in hand.
Not ALWAYS as it depends on several factors- though THIS time around I am more than happy to agree with you. ;-)

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

eagleboy wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:17 am Rangers 0:0 to Dundee overnight. Are the wheels coming off. :thumbup:
Very happy that Rangers have dropped another two points and now trail Celtic by three points (and by five goals) with the same amount of games played.

Philippe Clement remained upbeat publicly despite another unconvincing display but privately he must be seething.

He claimed that it was still in their own hands and that if they managed to win their next five games (which includes the game v Celtic) their fans would be happy.

Strange comments as they have only managed to win one of their last five league games, whilst losing two and drawing two.

Also, the league is NOT in their own hands- Celtic could afford to lose v Rangers by up to FOUR goals at Celtic Park as long as they don't drop any more points than Rangers over the remaining games and their goal difference advantage remains intact.

Every chance there will be more twists and turns in the remaining five games for each club, looking like match day 3 (Celtic v Rangers at Celtic Park) could be the last chance saloon for Rangers. Bring it on!

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

C0rrect me if I'm wrong but I think there are 5 matches to go.
I think the Celtics have 3 home and Rangers have 3 away with Celtic at home last match.
Apart from the derby both play Hearts which imho is a tough match. Luckily the Celtic match is at home. Kilmarnock away is a banana skin match.
The title is Celtics to lose.

Cup round this weekend. A Celtic - Rangers final would be something else..

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

eagleboy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:43 am C0rrect me if I'm wrong but I think there are 5 matches to go.
I think the Celtics have 3 home and Rangers have 3 away with Celtic at home last match.
Apart from the derby both play Hearts which imho is a tough match. Luckily the Celtic match is at home. Kilmarnock away is a banana skin match.
The title is Celtics to lose.

Cup round this weekend. A Celtic - Rangers final would be something else..
Yes, there are 5 games left and the 3rd of those is Celtic v Rangers. I would think that Rangers would have to produce something special to be in with a shout of the title at the conclusion of this match. If Celtic were to go six points clear with two to go, then Rangers would be hanging by a very fine thread.

I agree with your assessment of the remaining games- Hearts have had more success v Celtic as opposed to Rangers this season in the league and Kilmarnock are tough opposition, especially at Rugby Park. I was relieved that Celtic do not have to travel away v Hearts at Tynecastle- another tough place to claim a victory.

And yes, Celtic's to throw away and on current form you would have to fancy them.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Celtic got out of jail last night. Brilliant move by coach to take off Forrest with a few minutes to go and replace him with a defender. :x

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

eagleboy wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:47 pm Celtic got out of jail last night. Brilliant move by coach to take off Forrest with a few minutes to go and replace him with a defender. :x
I didn't agree with it but I reckon Forrest was injured and he had already used his wingers from the bench (Palma and Forrest himself).
That aside, Celtic were exposed by almost two identical crosses which were difficult to defend. Aberdeen's last goal came off a terrible pass from Palma when Celtic could have opened Aberdeen up and finished the game. For me the players have to take responsibility and finish off teams- they are not clinical enough. We are weak in defence when teams are direct and put us under pressure.

Aberdeen were very unlucky and they were more than a match for Celtic on the day. Any neutral (and Rangers fans ;-)) watching the game would be supporting them to the hilt. Disappointed that Celtic didn't make their dominance count but that is nothing new. Also got off the hook with a huge penalty overturned when Carter Vickers blatantly kicked the back of his opponent's heel- my understanding is it was brought back for an earlier foul. If I was an Aberdeen fan I would have been spitting teeth.

Bottom line is Celtic are at Hampden Park to compete v Rangers or Hearts on 25th May. Sincerely hope that the Rangers v Hearts game is half as exciting as last night's contest.