SAASL

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

gameon
In Memory of Dylan Tombides

SAASL

Post by gameon »

Rumour has it that SAASL is about to make a change to its constitution to allow it to be absorbed into the Collegiate league. At the moment if SAASL dissolve itself, all assets have to be distributed to member clubs which they are reluctant to do. Has anyone heard any rumblings.

C U Next Saturday
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: SAASL

Post by C U Next Saturday »

Pretty much on the mark and will lead to a State League 3

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

They have sent out a reviewed constitution to clubs to review

gameon

Post by gameon »

So the clubs who move to this new State league or any other league will forfeit their share of the SAASL assets(which are substantial) under this constitutional change? At the moment if another league wants to incorporate SAASL clubs they are not able to get the assets as the clubs own them. My understanding is the Feds only want enough teams for 1 more league (without enforcing junior teams) and the rest will be absorbed into the collegiate league. More transparency is needed in my opinion. Rumour has it that the Federation have told SAASL to just disburse the assets to the clubs and allow them to blend in with the other available leagues but SAASL refused.

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

sturt1 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:51 pm So the clubs who move to this new State league or any other league will forfeit their share of the SAASL assets(which are substantial) under this constitutional change? At the moment if another league wants to incorporate SAASL clubs they are not able to get the assets as the clubs own them. My understanding is the Feds only want enough teams for 1 more league (without enforcing junior teams) and the rest will be absorbed into the collegiate league. More transparency is needed in my opinion. Rumour has it that the Federation have told SAASL to just disburse the assets to the clubs and allow them to blend in with the other available leagues but SAASL refused.
So if that’s the case, how are the assets calculated?

Does Elizabeth Downs get the same share as one team clubs?

gameon

Post by gameon »

English wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:11 pm
sturt1 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:51 pm So the clubs who move to this new State league or any other league will forfeit their share of the SAASL assets(which are substantial) under this constitutional change? At the moment if another league wants to incorporate SAASL clubs they are not able to get the assets as the clubs own them. My understanding is the Feds only want enough teams for 1 more league (without enforcing junior teams) and the rest will be absorbed into the collegiate league. More transparency is needed in my opinion. Rumour has it that the Federation have told SAASL to just disburse the assets to the clubs and allow them to blend in with the other available leagues but SAASL refused.
So if that’s the case, how are the assets calculated?

Does Elizabeth Downs get the same share as one team clubs?
My understanding is each club has one vote at meetings, so therefore entitled to one share of assets. Could be distributed on pro-rata basis depending on the number of years in league. If this amendment to the constitution is passed the amateur clubs will get nothing and the collegiate league and teams will inherit all the assets the SAASL clubs have contributed to over the years. Doesn't seem fair to me.

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

Without knowing figures, as someone who has been involved with SAASL for years, I’d be happy to take the financial hit and get away from the absolute shambles that is the organisation.

gameon

Post by gameon »

English wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:45 am Without knowing figures, as someone who has been involved with SAASL for years, I’d be happy to take the financial hit and get away from the absolute shambles that is the organisation.
I understand and probably agree with your sarcasm, however poor administration isn't an excuse for screwing the clubs in my opinion.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

If this amendment to the constitution is passed the amateur clubs will get nothing and the collegiate league and teams will inherit all the assets the SAASL clubs have contributed to over the years. Doesn't seem fair to me.
Maybe the SAASL shouldve been reinvesting it as it was collecting, instead of hoarding it...
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

edenhazard
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by edenhazard »

absolute Barossa Pearl.

no club should vote for this constitution change, as it sets the precendant for all that money to go into the hands of the organisation.

what's in the bank, still over a mil? even if there's 100 clubs (probably less) in the saasl distributed evenly (shouldn't be as a 1 team club that's been around for 1 year shouldn't get the same as a larger club that's been aroud for decades) that's 10k a club.

way to spit on the the clubs that have made the league what it is

gameon

Post by gameon »

nathanburns15 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:36 pm They have sent out a reviewed constitution to clubs to review
My understanding is that the league have sent out a reviewed constitution but failed to supply a copy of the current one for comparison. Are they hoping clubs won't bother to check the implications of the new one? SAASL need to come clean on their agenda.

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

sturt1 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:21 pm
nathanburns15 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:36 pm They have sent out a reviewed constitution to clubs to review
My understanding is that the league have sent out a reviewed constitution but failed to supply a copy of the current one for comparison. Are they hoping clubs won't bother to check the implications of the new one? SAASL need to come clean on their agenda.
Does not surprise me one bit.

edenhazard
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by edenhazard »

thought the constitution used to be on their website.....can't find it now

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

we are requesting a summary of changes &/or copy of current document.

gameon

Post by gameon »

RowePark wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:56 pm we are requesting a summary of changes &/or copy of current document.
Good on your club for doing that. Maybe also ask why the need to change the constitution and what the change will allow SAASL to be able to do.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

English wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:45 am Without knowing figures, as someone who has been involved with SAASL for years, I’d be happy to take the financial hit and get away from the absolute shambles that is the organisation.

U'd say the opposite. I'd consider what involvement I have in the game if it's being completely run by the FFSA.

W Carter leaving has helped my confidence in them but her underlings are still there. I wouldn't trust them to run a meat raffle at the local pub.

edenhazard
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by edenhazard »

RowePark wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:56 pm we are requesting a summary of changes &/or copy of current document.
:thumbup: great work!

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:00 pm

U'd say the opposite. I'd consider what involvement I have in the game if it's being completely run by the FFSA.

W Carter leaving has helped my confidence in them but her underlings are still there. I wouldn't trust them to run a meat raffle at the local pub.
Having only spent one year outside of SAASL, where the cabernet show was probably equally shared between Modbury Vista and FSA. The people running SAASL don’t deserve to be in charge of an entire competition, less so in charge of the reported million plus dollar bank account.

C U Next Saturday
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by C U Next Saturday »

English wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:56 am

Having only spent one year outside of SAASL, where the cabernet show was probably equally shared between Modbury Vista and FSA. The people running SAASL don’t deserve to be in charge of an entire competition, less so in charge of the reported million plus dollar bank account.
Sean W for a person what complains about the SAASL on a regular basis , when are you joining the SAASL committee...

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

sturt1 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:50 pm Rumour has it that SAASL is about to make a change to its constitution to allow it to be absorbed into the Collegiate league. At the moment if SAASL dissolve itself, all assets have to be distributed to member clubs which they are reluctant to do. Has anyone heard any rumblings.
The current SAASL constitution doesn't say anything about assets being distributed to member clubs:
17 DISSOLUTION

The League shall not be dissolved except by a resolution to that effect passed by a three fifth (3/5) majority of votes received from member clubs at a special general meeting. In the event of the League being dissolved or otherwise ceasing to exist all assets after satisfaction of all debts and liabilities shall be distributed to a fund or funds for the promotion of non-professional soccer.

Frank Costanza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Frank Costanza »

Don't undervalue the organisation required for a meat raffle like that!
WHO TOOK MY TV GUIDE???

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

C U Next Saturday wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:27 am

Sean W for a person what complains about the SAASL on a regular basis , when are you joining the SAASL committee...
I’ve asked the question last year how to join, wasn’t provided an answer. Even asked SAASL to no reply.

By the sounds of it they won’t be around much longer anyway.

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

C U Next Saturday wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:27 am

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=88607&p=1591392#p1591392

Funnily enough it was you that told me to get hold of a constitution that people can’t find a copy of…

gameon

Post by gameon »

pernunz wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:02 am
sturt1 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:50 pm Rumour has it that SAASL is about to make a change to its constitution to allow it to be absorbed into the Collegiate league. At the moment if SAASL dissolve itself, all assets have to be distributed to member clubs which they are reluctant to do. Has anyone heard any rumblings.
The current SAASL constitution doesn't say anything about assets being distributed to member clubs:
17 DISSOLUTION

The League shall not be dissolved except by a resolution to that effect passed by a three fifth (3/5) majority of votes received from member clubs at a special general meeting. In the event of the League being dissolved or otherwise ceasing to exist all assets after satisfaction of all debts and liabilities shall be distributed to a fund or funds for the promotion of non-professional soccer.
My understanding is that is the FSA have advised SAASL that if they are going to be dissolved then distribute the assets to member clubs so that it can be used for the promotion of non-professional soccer by the member clubs. SAASL have said no. The current constitution allows this to happen in my opinion.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Why would they say NO?

Unless of course they are fighting the dissolution, which I would hope they are. Just leave the FSA and be done with it.

gameon

Post by gameon »

God is an Englishman wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:28 pm Why would they say NO?

Unless of course they are fighting the dissolution, which I would hope they are. Just leave the FSA and be done with it.
If the new constitutional change is passed it makes it more financially attractive for the FSA and the collegiate league to take over the SAASL clubs. Surely the SAASL board is there to do what benefits its member clubs and not other leagues. The dissolution is happening, that direction was put in place when SAASL joined the FSA. Evidently FSA have been adamant they do not want the assets so that just leaves the collegiate league who can benefit. Have the SAASL board got other plans for the assets?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

sturt1 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:32 pm

If the new constitutional change is passed it makes it more financially attractive for the FSA and the collegiate league to take over the SAASL clubs. Surely the SAASL board is there to do what benefits its member clubs and not other leagues. The dissolution is happening, that direction was put in place when SAASL joined the FSA. Evidently FSA have been adamant they do not want the assets so that just leaves the collegiate league who can benefit. Have the SAASL board got other plans for the assets?
My reasoning is exactly. Why should the college league benefit? Why should anyone benefit apart from the clubs involved.

I'd say every current club gets a point for every year they have been in the league, divide the total number and each team gets their share based on those points.

gameon

Post by gameon »

God is an Englishman wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:29 pm
sturt1 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:32 pm

My reasoning is exactly. Why should the college league benefit? Why should anyone benefit apart from the clubs involved.

I'd say every current club gets a point for every year they have been in the league, divide the total number and each team gets their share based on those points.
I agree with you and I believe the existing constitution would allow that to happen.

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

Didn't that large pile of cash primarily exist to help lower the expenses to clubs and the regos to players?

Why can't the same continue to occur, whereby the money is placed into a perpetual fund and a dividend each year is used to subsidise the SAASL clubs moving into new competitions perpetually.

Rather than handing clubs and their current committees a pile of cash and saying 'ere ya go.

This practice is used globally in other environments, from university and college funds, to rotary club funding recipients, to family trusts, to sporting club "scholarhsips".

Very easy to do too - each SAASL Club votes to become a unitholder of a fund that SAASL establishes and deposits all holdings into. Done. Then that way, for those who are worried grubby FSA clubs or CSL clubs might get their sticky paws onto that cash that was squirrelled away for decades can rest at ease knowing legally they can never touch it.

gameon

Post by gameon »

Marinos wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:54 pm Didn't that large pile of cash primarily exist to help lower the expenses to clubs and the regos to players?

Why can't the same continue to occur, whereby the money is placed into a perpetual fund and a dividend each year is used to subsidise the SAASL clubs moving into new competitions perpetually.

Rather than handing clubs and their current committees a pile of cash and saying 'ere ya go.

This practice is used globally in other environments, from university and college funds, to rotary club funding recipients, to family trusts, to sporting club "scholarhsips".

Very easy to do too - each SAASL Club votes to become a unitholder of a fund that SAASL establishes and deposits all holdings into. Done. Then that way, for those who are worried grubby FSA clubs or CSL clubs might get their sticky paws onto that cash that was squirrelled away for decades can rest at ease knowing legally they can never touch it.
You make a good suggestion. I would support that. The proposed amendment would not support that but the existing one would.