Referee Crisis

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Referee Crisis

Post by English »

BlueBags wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:41 pm
murphy mcginty wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:21 pm What happened at Parafield yesterday? Dribl says,"Match abandoned".
And a Saturday div 2 game was abandoned too...
I heard something, and the player accused wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest. Haven’t heard anything else since though.

gameon
In Memory of Dylan Tombides

Post by gameon »

Went to watch a SAASl Saturday Premier league game today. I was impressed with standard of play to be honest and the players seemed well prepared and most showed a high level of fitness. It pains me to say that could not be said of the ref. He was grossly overweight and hardly moved out of the centre circle and a lot of his decisions were a reflection of his inability to be anywhere near the play. I am aware there is a shortage of officials but on a day when there was only a few federation matches played surely better refs are available. I think if the players have put in the hard yards to present themselves in reasonable condition so could the refs.

gameon

Post by gameon »

Went to watch a SAASl Saturday Premier league game today. I was impressed with standard of play to be honest and the players seemed well prepared and most showed a high level of fitness. It pains me to say that could not be said of the ref. He was grossly overweight and hardly moved out of the centre circle and a lot of his decisions were a reflection of his inability to be anywhere near the play. I am aware there is a shortage of officials but on a day when there was only a few federation matches played surely better refs are available. I think if the players have put in the hard yards to present themselves in reasonable condition so could the refs.

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

English wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:44 pm
BlueBags wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:41 pm
murphy mcginty wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:21 pm What happened at Parafield yesterday? Dribl says,"Match abandoned".
And a Saturday div 2 game was abandoned too...
I heard something, and the player accused wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest. Haven’t heard anything else since though.

Seems the player I was told was at fault wasn’t on the team sheet yesterday, potentially banned?

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

I know this is amateur league but it’s related to referees.

There was an E & D game today at Salisbury Villa. The referee in charge, I can’t remember his name, but he’s been refereeing since I was a kid, so that’s at least 27 years.

For the pittance they get paid, he got harassed by this absolute dropkick crowd. We talk about a referee shortage, we talk about respect of referees and respecting the game, and what I witnessed today was a grown man, within some sort of capacity in this game as either a coach, an assistant or a parent just berate this official to the point where he rightfully sent him off.

Whoever the hero was, I doubt you’re reading this, but congratulations on acting like a complete bottle of shiraz in front of those kids. Your actions are telling these kids that it’s okay to bully officials. It’s no wonder we don’t have any referees when that mob mentality at that game meant this poor official was being bullied like that.

Based on the comments from the TTG parents and players after the game, I’m presuming it was a Salisbury Villa associated person who was sent off, but if you had any decent you’d remove yourself from an environment that’s supposed to be supportive learning experience. They were at most under 13s and you were acting like it was the premier league. What an embarrassment.