Women's A League and Payment

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Women's A League and Payment

Post by Riggles64 »

Good article about Emily and her injury battle. I wish her a full recovery. A very good player and person.

Good to read the appalling pay the female players had been receiving from their time at AUFC and possibly at other A League women's clubs. $60 per game? Average time commitment about 12 hours; game, training, travel intestate. Time away from a paying job. $5/hour. I think in most places this is called below the poverty line. It's improved and improving each year. As it should

If it weren't for the AFL-W the A-League women's players here in SA would still be on $60/game. Was raised a few years ago his the media however, there was no momentum to improve the payments at the time. 99% of the Players stayed silent. One club chief even rebutted the story. Not sure you can defend $60 per game. At the national level.

AFL-W may not be the best female sport going around however, at least the clubs remunerate their players. Provide leading edge training and development.

Adrian S has a lot to deal with and is, from my perspective, doing the best he can.

WNPL Hub
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Re: Women's A League and Payment

Post by WNPL Hub »

The minimum ALW salaryis $25,000 in 2023/24. The number of rounds is 22. The contract length is 35 weeks.

Therefore, on a game-weighted basis, it is $1,136.

On a contracted weekly basis, it is $714.

On an hourly basis, you would have to consult the club given training load varies based on: number of days between games, number of gym/recovery sessions, number of days of travel if an away game.

Your maths of $5 an hour, at 12 hours a week, over a 35 week schedule would equate to a salary of $2,100 a year.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Riggles64 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:58 pm Adrian S has a lot to deal with and is, from my perspective, doing the best he can.
Unfortunately from my perspective Adrian S needs to walk away from the job bec our current season is dire & this time next week we will be bottom. :cry:
Last edited by scar on Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SwandelPark
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SwandelPark »

Riggles64 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:58 pm Good article about Emily and her injury battle. I wish her a full recovery. A very good player and person.

Good to read the appalling pay the female players had been receiving from their time at AUFC and possibly at other A League women's clubs. $60 per game? Average time commitment about 12 hours; game, training, travel intestate. Time away from a paying job. $5/hour. I think in most places this is called below the poverty line. It's improved and improving each year. As it should

If it weren't for the AFL-W the A-League women's players here in SA would still be on $60/game. Was raised a few years ago his the media however, there was no momentum to improve the payments at the time. 99% of the Players stayed silent. One club chief even rebutted the story. Not sure you can defend $60 per game. At the national level.
Can you copy and paste the article mate?

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Riggles64 »

Sorry for the delay. Went AWOL.

Here's the link.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/fo ... 2d16890f60