Adelaide Utd 2023-24 a nightmare season

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Adelaide Utd 2023-24 a nightmare season

Post by scar »

2022-23 final standing
P W D L GF GA GD PTS
18 5 3 10 16 29 -13 18

2023-24 final standing
P W D L GF GA GD PTS
22 4 3 15 21 56 -35 15

If season 2022-23 was a season to forget then this season has been a nightmare.
For the record, Canb. Utd finished 2nd last (but make no mistake they are still a good side)
then daylight next followed by Adel. Utd a long last (9pts off & a huge negative goal diff.)
tells us how far off we now are when compared to the other W-League clubs.

Stenta prior to our last game of the season commented on the pressure of being a full time coach:

"I don’t feel any increased pressure. I’m happy to have pressure placed on me.
I’m happy to take responsibility for how the team performs, because that’s my job
& I’ll leave others to judge the job that I’m doing".
Stenta not really feeling any pressure tells me he is too comfortable or complacent knowing
he likely has at least another contracted year (giving him a full time appntmt was a big mistake).
As far as leave others to judge the job he is doing then my better judgement says the results
this season have been too horrendous to ignore & I believe the playing group have further regressed.
If Stenta has any pride or decency he would do the right thing by Adel. Utd, his players
& the supporters by stepping away from the job (I'm sure the Adel. Utd. heirarchy can find him
another role somewhere in the club). Surely this would be the best decision to save him
& all associated with the club any further embarrassment.

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: Adelaide Utd 2023-24 a nightmare season

Post by Riggles64 »

The stats are undeniably bad. As far as for the reasons we've analysed and commented on this over almost a decade. Still the results are not improving. Over the last decade and more we've gone from the former NSL to the W League to A League Women. The NSL era yielded good results and from what I recalled, the bulk of those squads were made up mainly from the SA SASI team with some interstate top end talent. The SASI coach Kev M took control of the NSL team.

The point here is that there was consistency with the team and the coaching and which then brings familiarity and consistency with results. The core team played and training together all year.

W League and A League one. The difference between the NSL and the later iterations is a lack of continuity. Yes there are a few players that have been in the squad for a few years however, once the season ends they're back in their local WNPL teams. Different team mates. Different coaches. Different standards.

Some may argue Stenta (or past coaches) have enough of the players to be able to get better results as the season progresses. I argue that we are nt recruiting top end talent from interstate. QLD and NSW have a stronger local comp and we would do good going there.

Other thing, is AU prepared to allow Stenta to keep the bulk of his local team together in the off season to train with the youth team? Play the odd games against the boys (under 14 teams) as it gets closer to the A League women's season?

What happens is that the team disbands and go back to their local clubs and play games and then reform in October and throw the dice and hope for a better season. I ear the arguments from the local WNPL Clubs..... "we want our players back. We won't let them play/training with AU in the off season. About time the players decide what it is they want to do. They're in charge. If they want to play WNPL and then suit up for the A League women's season in the way it has happened for over a decade then be prepared for the same outcome.

Ludicrous tho think that doing the same thing will alter the results. Stenta has his arms tied and no mater who gets the job they will endure the same restrictions.

WNPL Hub
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by WNPL Hub »

Riggles64 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:39 pm The SASI coach Kev M took control of the NSL team. The point here is that there was consistency with the team and the coaching and which then brings familiarity and consistency with results. The core team played and training together all year.
SASI was funded by the State Govt with contributions from the federal govt. Players were not paid in that environment. It was easy to have players commit to a full-year program when there was zero expectation of payment, as a professional career in football was not a reality for any player in that era.
Riggles64 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:39 pm Yes there are a few players that have been in the squad for a few years however, once the season ends they're back in their local WNPL teams. Different team mates. Different coaches. Different standards.
Does this speak more to Utd, the players or the environments the players are going back to in the WNPL?
Riggles64 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:39 pm I argue that we are nt recruiting top end talent from interstate. QLD and NSW have a stronger local comp and we would do good going there.
Every team in it's own city will always have preferential access to it's own NPLW due to numerous factors (no need to move, already have a relationship, willing to pay more than Utd, access to housing being a few).

Sarah Morgan (NSW), Paige Hayward (NSW), Alana Jancevski (VIC), Mindy Barbieri (VIC), Reona Omiya (VIC), Miranda Templeman (VIC), Annie Haffenden (VIC), Grace Taranto (VIC), Meisha Westland (QLD), Georgia Beaumont (QLD) - Utd have consistently recruited players with strong reputations from other competitions in the last three seasons.
Riggles64 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:39 pm Other thing, is AU prepared to allow Stenta to keep the bulk of his local team together in the off season to train with the youth team? Play the odd games against the boys (under 14 teams) as it gets closer to the A League women's season?
That requires the players to have a full-year contract. My understanding is their contracts end in May, and will resume in October for the pre-season. Therefore the club would have to extend it for May-September, at an additional minimum of roughly $17,500. Adelaide Utd will never pay this amount for an extended pre-season when the status quo is to terminate contracts and allow WNPL/NPLW clubs to bear the financial burden.

Players can also not play sanctioned friendlies and be covered for insurance purposes unless contracted to the club.
Riggles64 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:39 pm I ear the arguments from the local WNPL Clubs..... "we want our players back. We won't let them play/training with AU in the off season. About time the players decide what it is they want to do. They're in charge. If they want to play WNPL and then suit up for the A League women's season in the way it has happened for over a decade then be prepared for the same outcome.
There are two assumptions here - that every WNPL club shares that "argument". I recall only one WNPL club refused to release their players for off-season in line with the others. The other assumption is that the players want it any different - I would argue that many of the non-NTC players are happy making reasonable match appearance fees in the WNPL and then returning to the ALW for a fixed contract. No-one likes to underperform in the ALW however some players have shown they are willing to remain at Adelaide Utd under unchanging circumstances in exchange for being at home with a relatively guaranteed contract.

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Riggles64 »

WNPl Hub. Can't argue with your reply. You have asked questions and made some valid replies. Strong reputations as a recruiting tool hasn't achieved the results the last 3 years.

What I take from your reply is that you can't operate within a professional (Utd) and an amateur (wnpl) framework. Pay/contracts etc. Then unless there is a re-think, we're destined for the same.

SwandelPark
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SwandelPark »

Riggles64 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:39 pm I argue that we are nt recruiting top end talent from interstate. QLD and NSW have a stronger local comp and we would do good going there.
Every team in it's own city will always have preferential access to it's own NPLW due to numerous factors (no need to move, already have a relationship, willing to pay more than Utd, access to housing being a few).

Sarah Morgan (NSW), Paige Hayward (NSW), Alana Jancevski (VIC), Mindy Barbieri (VIC), Reona Omiya (VIC), Miranda Templeman (VIC), Annie Haffenden (VIC), Grace Taranto (VIC), Meisha Westland (QLD), Georgia Beaumont (QLD) - Utd have consistently recruited players with strong reputations from other competitions in the last three seasons.

Out of the above list - hand on heart, did any of these players make above average contribution to the club?
Riggles64 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:39 pm Other thing, is AU prepared to allow Stenta to keep the bulk of his local team together in the off season to train with the youth team? Play the odd games against the boys (under 14 teams) as it gets closer to the A League women's season?
That requires the players to have a full-year contract. My understanding is their contracts end in May, and will resume in October for the pre-season. Therefore the club would have to extend it for May-September, at an additional minimum of roughly $17,500. Adelaide Utd will never pay this amount for an extended pre-season when the status quo is to terminate contracts and allow WNPL/NPLW clubs to bear the financial burden.

Players can also not play sanctioned friendlies and be covered for insurance purposes unless contracted to the club.
So in the end, it comes down to money, which we know, United don't have. The women have never been a priority at the club and even if in the last few years we have seen a change in how the women are the women are treated this hasn't resulted in on field success.

The club needs to pull their finger out, find funding, bring in players that will change the course of a game and not be afraid to clean the deck of a few players that have underperformed season after season.

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

While the argument re returning to WNPL being an issue has some merit, I don't think it is the biggest issue as this situation happens interstate. You have to look at the one constant is AU's consistent under performing, the coaching staff. whether it is all of them or some until this is rectified I believe AU will continue to flounder.
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

SwandelPark wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:44 pm

Out of the above list - hand on heart, did any of these players make above average contribution to the club?
Sarah Morgan started our season as one of our most consistent performers but unfortunately due to an injury & then later falling out of favour with Stenta, we didn't see the best of her but I still believe showed enough to be a worthy acquisition.
Meanwhile I would agree wholeheartedly with the others on the list & also given the amount of game time Alana Jancevski received throughout the season I saw very little return.

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Riggles64 »

Excellent comments and done so in a sensible way. Thanks to the responders. We all want the team to be the best it can. Seems like there are many reasons to have addressed. AUFC...the ball is in your court.